Assistant or Associate Director of Facilities
Reporting to the Director of Facilities, the Associate Director of Facilities is chiefly responsible for the implementation of plans and procedures to maintain, improve, and protect the physical property of Landmark College with the assistance of department staff employees. The physical property of Landmark College includes the grounds, landscape improvements and buildings located on the main campus as well as other properties owned by the College.
The Associate Director of Facilities works collaboratively with the Director of Facilities, providing accurate information to assist with the planning required to maintain, improve and protect Landmark College property and to assist in developing and managing operating and capital budgets necessary to achieve these goals. Associate Director of Facilities and the department staff also have a crucial role in maintaining a safe campus and responding to an emergency situation on campus. The Associate Director of Facilities maintains an active and visible presence on campus interacting with students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Assist in the development of effective short-term and long-term plans and establish procedures and guidelines to maintain, improve, and protect the grounds and buildings of the Landmark College campus in relation to the current Strategic Plan and the goals and mission of Landmark College.
- Implement approved plans and designs for campus maintenance, renovation or building projects, and College special events in collaboration with other members of the College community, through day-to-day task assignments of Facilities department tradesmen, maintenance technicians and outside contractors.
- Assist in supervising work-order schedule, establishing work priorities which ensure high quality and timely delivery of services to maintain, improve and protect the grounds and buildings of the Landmark College campus. Supervise the maintenance of equipment needed to complete assigned work so as to deliver high quality and timely services in an efficient, cost-effective manner.
- Assist the Director of Facilities in implementing best practices pertaining to the maintenance, improvement and protection of the physical assets of a small residential college. Focus on environmental sustainability practices to include recycling and waste reduction as well as the use of environmentally friendly products while promoting ecological awareness on campus.
- Promote a professional relationship of trust and concern for students and the College community’s best interests.
- Collaborate with the Director of Facilities to manage both operating budgets and capital expenditures budget required to maintain, improve and protect the physical assets of Landmark College.
- Work occasional weekends and nights and be available by cell phone as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Supervisor of Staff and Outside Contractors
- With the help of the Director of Facilities, supervise all Facilities department and custodial staff members. Responsible for overseeing scheduling and providing work direction as well as overseeing performance evaluations for all department staff. Maintain accurate personnel records.
- Promote a sense of teamwork within the department while maintaining a clear and consistent expectation regarding staff performance. Resolve personnel problems and be responsible for any discipline required with the assistance of the Office of Human Resources.
- Encourage professional and effective interaction between the Facilities department employees, the custodial staff and other members of the Landmark College community as well as the neighboring communities. Consider the morale of all employees of the Facilities and custodial departments and strive to develop the professional capabilities of a productive and engaged team of employees.
- Assist the Director of Facilities in supervising the services provided by outside contractors, including the purchase and delivery of utilities, while maintaining a positive and productive professional relationship.
- Maintain accurate and detailed records of Facilities department activities and schedules. Maintain a high level of professional conduct and confidentiality.
- Assist the Director of Facilities in creating an active department training program to promote safety within the Facilities and custodial departments, assuring compliance and minimizing the potential of any injury to students and employees of the College as well as any loss involving the physical assets of the College.
- Supervise and document that all industrial safety and hygiene
programs, and other facilities-related regulatory requirements,
including but not limited to OSHA compliance, updates and record
keeping of training sessions; EPA compliance; Life Safety Code
compliance; SARA Title III yearly reporting; Act 250, UST, Labor
& Industry, ADAAG, local compliance, and related requirements
and programs are completed and in compliance.
- Assume an active leadership role, along with the Director of Facilities, in managing any emergency situation in conjunction with College administration and colleagues.
- Confer regularly with local vendors to better coordinate an emergency response to any critical incidents on campus.
- Participate in any critical incident drills planned and organized by the Landmark College Critical Incident Management team.
The Landmark College Associate Director of Facilities must have a minimum of a high school education AND a minimum of 7-9 years of work experience directly related to the responsibilities of this job. An Associate degree in a related field is preferred and experience working for an institution of higher education or a non-profit organization based on a residential campus is important. The Associate Director of Facilities position requires excellent interpersonal skills due to frequent contact with a diverse constituency of students, faculty and staff, and the public; including parents, vendors, contractors working on the Landmark College campus and visitors to the campus.
The position requires excellent communication, organization and supervisory skills, consistently sound judgment and an ability to work successfully under pressure. The ability to handle sensitive and confidential information, effectively recruit, train and manage Facilities department and custodial personnel and to provide strong leadership within general and specific areas of responsibility is critical. Knowledge of and experience in building-related project management as a foreman or superintendent is essential as is the ability to read and interpret complex construction blueprints and the understanding of complex mechanical systems.
Computer literacy is necessary including the ability to learn and successfully employ standard administrative software used at Landmark College. The Associate Director of Facilities must demonstrate initiative, energy, and a willingness to learn and take on new challenges. Additionally, the Associate Director of Facilities must be up-to-date and fully understand all local, state and federal laws and regulations as they relate to the maintenance, improvement and protection of the College campus. The Associate Director of Facilities must hold a valid state driver’s license and maintain a driving record free of violations in both the state of residency and the State of Vermont.
General office and campus environment, indoors and outdoors, in all weather conditions, including extreme heat and cold. Duties require regular interaction with all members of the Landmark College community and members of neighboring communities. Some travel may be required from time-to-time.
Computer use involving repetitive hand and wrist motion and use of telephones, radios, and hand and electrical tools. Position involves extensive walking and extended standing on various terrains, in all weather conditions. Ability to carry moderate to heavy loads while negotiating doors and stairs may be required.
How to Apply
Interested individuals should provide a cover letter, resume or CV, and the names of three references. Electronic submissions are preferred. Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications may also be mailed to Director of Human Resources, Landmark College, 19 River Road South, Putney, Vermont 05346. No phone calls please.
Diversifying the student body, faculty, and administration is congruent with our mission. We value diverse populations and cultures including, but not limited to, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, national origin, neurodiversity, race, and religion. Landmark College is an EO/AA/Vet/Disability employer
Apply for Assistant or Associate Director of Facilities
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in East Dummerston
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in East Dummerston
- Facilities Management & Physical Plant Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in East Dummerston