TRiO Educational Specialist (Case Worker) - Grant Funded - Part Time
TRiO EDUCATIONAL SPECIALIST (CASE WORKER) - GRANT FUNDED - PART TIME
MALCOLM X COLLEGE
Malcolm X College is currently seeking a TRiO Educational Specialist (Case Worker) - Grant Funded - Part Time. This role is responsible for assessing student needs, developing intervention plans and monitoring the success of these plans for individual students and Education Opportunity Center (EOC) cohort groups. This position will interview, evaluate, and enroll students into the TRiO Education Opportunity Center program.
The TRiO Student Support Services program provides help to low-income, disabled or first-generation college students achieve a college education.
The mission of Malcolm X College is to provide accessible liberal arts and health-focused education that fosters personal and professional achievement. To fulfill this mission, we focus on the following core values: accountability, community, diversity, empowerment, learning, and respect.
- Assists with identifying and recruiting Education Opportunity Center (EOC) participants. Conducts intake interviews to evaluate students’ vocational or educational potential and general eligibility for the program in accordance with grantor’s guidelines.
- Utilizes test data and relevant information to design an Individual Learning Plan (ILP) with each student participant.
- Meets regularly with EOC participants and makes revisions to the ILP as needed.
- Obtains background information on potential students for the purpose of providing referrals to the appropriate community agencies. Coordinates services needed by EOC participants.
- Provides academic, career, and personal counseling to EOC participants.
- Monitors and documents student progress. Maintains case files for each student.
- Assists in designing activities, college visits, partner meetings, and orientations for school personnel.
- Assists program participants with completion of academic forms and applications.
- Maintains record-keeping for preparation of progress reports. Retains a compilation of statistics, written reports, and correspondence within student files. Prepares monthly mandatory reports for management review. Assists with statistical data to ensure program accountability.
- Attends conferences, workshops, and training opportunities as needed to better serve participants.
- Attends monthly staff meetings and may serve as liaison to community and state agencies for the purpose of receiving appropriate students services and maintaining good public relations.
- Disseminates information and answers questions in regards to the EOC program.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Education, Counseling, Social Work, Psychology, or a related area required. A minimum of three year’s previous work experience in providing educational services and assessment/advising in a public or private setting serving multi-cultural populations; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Master’s degree or higher preferred.
- Knowledge of academic testing, advising, and college admissions.
- Demonstrated expertise in academic and career guidance.
- Working knowledge of federal and state student financial aid programs.
- Experience in a TRIO program is highly preferred.
- Must be self-directed, innovative and able to assess current operations in an effort to develop practical action programs to improve the functioning of the department.
- Must maintain an effective liaison among agencies, staff, administrators and the community to promote overall responsiveness to the program.
- Excellent verbal and written skills required with the ability to communicate persuasively with tact and diplomacy.
For the second time in three years, Malcolm X College was selected as a Promising Places to Work in Community Colleges award winner! The award is given by the National Institute for Staff and Organizational Development (NISOD), a membership organization committed to promoting and celebrating excellence in teaching and leadership at community and technical colleges, and Diverse: Issues in Higher Education, a leading academic publication.
MXC was recognized for its best-in-class student and staff recruitment and retention practices, inclusive learning and working environments, and meaningful community service and engagement opportunities.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of Chicago!
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Part Time jobs in Chicago
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Part Time jobs in Chicago
- Community Relations & Institutional Outreach Not specified Part Time jobs in Chicago
- Student Affairs Not specified Part Time jobs in Chicago
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Not specified Part Time jobs in Chicago