Regular or Temporary
Hours Per Week
Weeks Per Year
Full or Part Time
Trinity College in Hartford, Connecticut, one of America’s premier liberal arts institutions, invites you to consider applying for an admission counselor position in the Office of Admissions. As an admissions counselor, you will play a pivotal role in the admissions process by helping us continue to build a strong, vibrant community of students from around the world. Our admissions counselors recruit prospective students, counsel families about the college admissions process, interview students, evaluate applications, advocate for students in our admissions committee process, and manage campus programs and partnerships.
The Office of Admissions, part of the Student Success and Enrollment Division, aims to cultivate, recruit, evaluate, and yield an academically strong, talented, and diverse student body. Our mission is to prepare bold, independent thinkers who lead transformative lives. We recognize our position in the community and in the world as a powerful force for change. To that end, we have developed a statement and action plan to take greater responsibility in dismantling systemic racism. Please click here to read our full statement. Reporting to the director of admissions, the admissions counselor will join a team that is deeply involved in strategic conversations about the future of enrollment at the college.
Even before the pandemic, the importance of supporting colleagues has been critical to our success. We are a team of professionals who work hard without taking ourselves too seriously. Much of our work is collaborative, and sharing innovative ideas is strongly encouraged. From trivia over Zoom to exploring local Hartford restaurants, you will have plenty of opportunities to shares stories and laughs with colleagues. We want everyone on our team to continue learning and growing in the profession and are committed to providing the resources and time to support your growth. Our team has a passion for working with students and serving as advocates for them and their families. We will look for that same passion in you.
Located in Connecticut’s capital, Hartford, Trinity College is a highly selective, independent, nonsectarian liberal arts institution. With over 2100 full time undergraduate students and 91 graduate students, the college maintains a rigorous academic profile complemented by a vibrant and diverse co-curricular program. The college enjoys the benefit of being situated in an urban center and has strong academic, social and philanthropic connections to our home city of Hartford. Our student body is diverse, representing 41 states and 70 countries with 21% students of color and 50% women. Just over 90% of students live in campus residences.
This is an exciting time to join our community. As the institution continues to implement its strategic plan— Summit —and prepares for its upcoming bicentennial celebration, you will have an opportunity to impact diversity initiatives at the college, while bringing forth the vision of a truly urban and global 21st century liberal arts college.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Travel within a defined national or international territory to visit high schools and community-based organizations, attend college fairs, and conduct special programs. Plan all aspects of travel, manage receipts, and prepare travel reports to meet Trinity policies and deadlines. You may need to travel for weeks at a time.
- Help develop and coordinate recruitment and yield efforts to reflect the importance of diversity at the college. You should have the ability to work evenings and weekends as needed for travel and events.
- Interview and counsel prospective students and their families on the Trinity admissions process.
- Conduct information sessions for prospective students, families, and other visitors to the college.
- Read and evaluate applications and participate in the committee process to advocate for and select candidates for admission.
- Cultivate strong professional relationships with secondary school counselors, community-based organizations, and independent educational consultants.
- In consultation with the director of admissions, seek professional development opportunities to hone skills, understand current trends and issues in American higher education.
- Uphold anti-racist work and the values noted in our Working to Dismantle Systemic Racism statement.
- Manage multiple projects concurrently while meeting expectations and deadlines.
- Support the Bantam Network through its comprehensive Nest system for Trinity students.
- Additional duties may be assigned to accommodate your professional interests and fluctuating needs of the Office of Admissions.
- A bachelor’s degree is required.
- Strong public speaking and writing skills, with an emphasis on attention to detail.
- A valid driver’s license and the ability to drive to off-campus locations.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- A passion for working with young people and serving as an advocate for students will be essential to thrive in our office culture.
- Ability to read a large volume of files efficiently to expectation and meet specific deadlines.
- Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently while satisfying expectations and deadlines.
- Very strong interpersonal and networking skills, including an ability to interact well with a diverse population.
- Ability to be proactive and work independently, as well as collaboratively, as part of a team.
- Ability to travel nationally and/or internationally for weeks at a time.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed for travel and special events.
- Well-developed computer skills and the ability to quickly adapt to new technologies are vital.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants are required to discuss in their cover letter their commitment to and/or experience working with diverse individuals or in diverse communities.
Please submit your application material by July 8, 2021.
Trinity College is an independent, nonsectarian liberal arts college for men and women, with approximately 2,200 undergraduate students and 200 faculty members, located in Hartford, Connecticut. Our Mission is “Engage. Connect. Transform.” As the preeminent liberal arts college in an urban setting, Trinity College prepares students to be bold, independent thinkers who lead transformative lives. Trinity is an actively engaged community of students, faculty and staff who work together to develop and sustain the intellectual and creative opportunities central to a first-class liberal arts education. Hartford, the state capital, provides many opportunities for cultural and social engagement.
The College is committed to building a representative and diverse faculty, administrative staff, and student body. Trinity is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Applicants with disabilities should request, in advance, any needed accommodation in order to participate in the application process.
For all faculty positions, completion of the Ph.D. or appropriate equivalent is expected. Candidates should have a strong commitment to undergraduate and interdisciplinary teaching in a liberal arts context, and a well-articulated plan for sustained research. Trinity is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through their research, teaching, and service.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Hartford
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Hartford
- International Programs Not specified Full Time jobs in Hartford
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Hartford
- Affirmative Action & Equal Opportunity Not specified Full Time jobs in Hartford