Assistant to the Dean - School of Communication (5092)
As Assistant to the Dean, the incumbent provides executive administrative support to the Dean of the School and independently manages the Dean’s Office operations. Core responsibilities include planning routine and complex meetings, events and travel for the Dean and Dean’s Suite; preparing agendas for standing SOC dean’s, director and Council meetings; managing event budgets and reconciling expenses; drafting and organizing communications from the Dean’s Office; coordinating school displays in the McKinley Building; daily Dean’s Office management and vendor relations; and overseeing special Dean’s Office projects, as assigned. This position is the daily supervisor of @ 5 student staff assistants. This position also helps to support diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) efforts for the School, supporting its initiatives in collaboration with the SOC DEI, inclusion officer, and deans. They assist in coordination of surveys and preparation of statistical research and reports on behalf of the Dean’s Office. The position reports to the Assistant Dean, Administration & Strategic Initiatives and operates under general supervision.
- Administrative Support: Provides executive administrative support to the Dean. Prepares and maintains appointment calendar, schedule appointments, and arranges meetings and all related materials for the Dean. Handle travel arrangements and expenses for the Dean. Provides customer service leadership as the initial contact in the Office of the Dean, including daily interface with faculty, staff, facilities, students, alumni and other VIP visitors. This position is responsible for coordinating communications to and from the Dean’s Office, serving as resource for answers/information to inquiries. Fields and delegates issues to appropriate individuals. Provides additional support for Dean’s Suite activities as directed by Assistant Dean and/or Dean.
- Dean’s Office Management & Personnel Supervision: Responsible for Dean’s Office management and upkeep, including: daily supervision and scheduling and teambuilding of work study staff and research assistants; ordering and inventory; organizing office systems; troubleshooting tech and facilities issues to keep the office running smoothly. Manages vendors, invoices and budgets for Dean’s Office projects and events.
- Reputation Building Activity Support: Assist with school-wide reputation building including such duties as Dean’s Office web content editing; strategic program and event support; poster & display (multimedia, etc.) creation and coordination; etc. Coordinates cross-unit activities with other AU Dean’s Offices, the Provost Office and Development.
- Inclusion Support Activities: Works closely with SOC’s inclusion officer, DEI Committee, and the Dean on the planning and coordination of internal and external workshops, programs and meetings, and promotion of offerings. Attends relevant meetings as requested as a resource and participant. Coordinates data collection (surveys, field research, best practices, etc.) and prepares reports. Collaborates with committee, inclusion officer and SOC communication team to update internal Diversity & Inclusion portal page and diversity-related content. Answer questions and share information with internal and external parties on matters related to the School’s DEI initiative.
- Other duties and committee service as assigned.
- This position interacts with @55 full-time faculty members, @55 staff members, as well as students, parents, alumni and SOC partners.
- Works with the Provost, President’s, other AU Dean’s offices and central services such as Purchasing, University Event Scheduling and Catering, University Marketing & Communication.
- This position is a central communication conduit and oversees select vendor relationships for Dean’s Suite business.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full time
- Coordinator/Analyst B
- Evening and weekend work may occasionally be required
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in training or experience, with at least three years of administrative experience supporting an executive or director
- This is a highly visible position in the fast-paced Dean’s Suite of the School of Communication
- Professionalism, flexibility, attention to detail, maturity, and strong interpersonal skills
- Must be able to juggle multiple tasks, have great organizational abilities, possess excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and be able to work with minimal supervision to problem-solve
- A high level of discretion is required from this position due to exposure and access to confidential and sensitive information
- Computer experience in a Microsoft Office environment (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- A commitment to social justice issues and respect for diverse groups, cultures and individuals
- Ability to build and maintain effective relationships and ability to collaborate with a wide variety of constituencies
Preferred Education and Experience
- Knowledge of national trends and best practices related to diversity and inclusion
- Experience in supervising employees highly desirable
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Please submit cover letter, resume and professional writing sample (such as an email, memo, newsletter story) with your application.
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on the successful completion of a background check
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Academic Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Administrative Support Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.