Assistant Vice President for Communications & Media (9851)
The Assistant Vice President for Communications & Media develops, implements, and manages strategic communications initiatives to support AU's institutional priorities and brand/reputation goals. The AVP serves as a public spokesperson for the University, and works with school, college, and unit leadership and communications teams to coordinate cactivities. Leading the Communications team with UCM, the AVP has four directo reports (three Senior Public Relations Managers and one PR Coordinator). (and the Digital News Editor.) The AVP establishes strategies and protocols for media relations, trains faculty, staff, and administrators for media and public engagement, and manages administrative functions of the communications team, and conducts measurement of media activities.
- Develop, implement, and measure media relations and communications strategies and programs that support university goals and priorities, the AU Strategic Plan, the Challenge Acceped brand campaign, and fundraising/development initiatives. Supervise the university's release of information to the media, draft statements and releases, manage internal review processes, and report on outcomes. Foster and maintain strong relationships with key reporters and outlets to facilitate solid and responsible coverage of university messages, events, faculty, staff, students and programs.
- Support university-wide reputation efforts, developing impactful narratives about University priorities (e.g., student achievements, faculty research, community success stories, etc.)
- Respond to media inquiries regarding university policies, positions, programs, events, faculty, staff, and students. Support issues management activity and crisis communications in partnership with the Chief Communications Officer, Assistant Vice President for Communtiy and Internal Communications, and other university officials.
- Manage the University Communications team. Drive a client-service model where UCM provides strategic communications counsel and tactical support to the schools, colleges, and administrative units that advances university priorities and constituent-specific goals. Ensure coordination of communications efforts and promote adherence to university messages and priorities.
- Counsel university officials, including the President, on media opportunities. Develop and maintain strong relationships with university leadership to cultivate stories and promote key messages.
- 4 direct reports
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full time
- Function Leader A
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree
- 10+ years of relevant experience
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master's degree
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Superior written and oral communication skills with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute communication plans with measurable impact.
- Demonstrated experience writing various communications, such as briefings, news releases, talking points, scripts, and general correspondence concerning the organizations initiatives, strategies, goals, and performance.
- Extensive relationships with key reporters and publications. Discretion and management experience working with executive stakeholders and handling confidential information and sensitive matters.
- Ability to manage projects and programs, which includes planning, developing timelines, determining resource requirements, evaluating progress, and reporting results.
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful completion of a background check
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Communications Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Other Communications Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Public Relations & Advertising Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.