Dining Services Operations Coordinator
Responsible for various part-time personnel management (recruitment, hiring, training, and scheduling) and daily operations within a select group of Dining Services locations and/or events. Assists with the vision, direction, and leadership for assigned areas and further development of campus dining service locations. Additional information about Dining Services can be found online at https://dining.dixie.edu/ .
- Recruit, hire, train, and schedule part-time employees within the Trailblazer Café, Stacks, Brooks’ Stop, The Market and Concessions. Evaluate regular part-time personnel on a bi-annual basis, and evaluate student assistants and on-call personnel 30 days after hire and at the end of each semester. Ensure employees meet federal, state, and local food handler guidelines, comply with University policies and procedures, and recommend appropriate corrective action when needed. Monitor and approve part-time staff payroll.
- Project staffing requirements for assigned areas and work with other Dining Services personnel to ensure appropriate coverage and supplies. Conduct an annual physical inventory of supplies and regularly inspect individual facilities to ensure adherence to department, local, state and federal health and safety guidelines. Assist with food orders and other supplies for successful daily operations of these areas.
- Maintain necessary records, ensuring these are done in a timely fashion and in accordance with applicable regulations. Advocate preventative maintenance and security functions that protect physical assets and personal safety of employees and customers. Develop, implement, and evaluate organizational goals, objectives, policies, and procedures.
- Establish and maintain high quality food standards for the safe preparation of all items prepared in production kitchens. Ensure safe and sanitary working conditions follow industry standards, federal, state, and county food and health codes, using applied and current knowledge of food protection strategies and public health strategies.
- Collaborate with other supervisors to plan and monitor current developments and trends in the food service industry for recipe development and merchandising with consideration for customer satisfaction, staffing, and cost.
- Develop and implement strategies to enhance overall service and maximize customer satisfaction through maintaining strong working relationships with students, staff, faculty, and campus guests.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED plus two years of college education or vocational/technical post-secondary education required; Associate’s degree or higher preferred.
- At least two years’ related experience required; experience working in a higher education dining services environment preferred.
- Good working knowledge of food service practices and procedures; experience in cooking or supervising a group of employees responsible for cooking/food preparation preferred.
- Ability to train personnel on effective and safe use of cooking equipment required.
- Highly motivated, self-starter, and able to manage multiple project concurrently. Experience scheduling a large group of individuals across multiple days/weeks and multiple job areas preferred.
- Computer skills in university operating systems preferred (CBORD, Micros, word processing, email, spreadsheets, database, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Ability to organize events and associated workload requirements for staff.
- Experience communicating and scheduling plans and assignments while working with employees on staffing requirements and making adjustments required; projecting staffing requirements while adhering to a personnel/labor budget preferred.
- Good knowledge of tools and equipment used in institutional cooking (Combi Oven, Blast Chiller, Steam Jacketed Kettle, Mixer, Proofer, Oven, Fryer, Grill, etc.).
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills; ability to communicate effectively and exercise critical human relations skills in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with employees, students, and guests.
- Current ServSafe certification or ability to successfully complete course within six months of hire.
- Must be able to work variable hours; completion of franchise food service training program preferred.
POSITION DETAILS, COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: Full-time classified staff (overtime-eligible) position. Annual salary of $35,000 - $40,000, depending on qualifications & experience. Desired start date of August 2021. Excellent benefits package included that begins on start date; includes medical, dental, vision, employee assistance and wellness programs, life, disability, retirement, undergraduate tuition waivers for employees and eligible dependents, as well as paid holidays in addition to sick and vacation leave accruals. See https://humanresources.dixie.edu/employee-benefits/ under "Benefits Summary" for more details.
ELECTRONIC APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Application review begins June 23 , 2021 . Submit cover letter, resume, and contact information (including email) for three professional references electronically. If, because of a disability, you need special services or facilities in order to apply for this opening, please call the Human Resources Office at (435) 652-7520.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY: Dixie State University (DSU) is an open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic institution committed to exceptional student learning and success. DSU has adopted an instructional approach of "active learning. active life" and a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship. We seek faculty and staff committed to creating a student-centered active, applied and career-oriented learning environment that is student-centered. Established in 1911 as a community college and in 2013 as a state university, DSU is located in picturesque southwestern Utah with its red rocks, desert climate, over 300 days of sunshine annually, and featuring easy access to world-class outdoor recreational opportunities. The nearest metropolitan area is Las Vegas, NV (120 miles), with amenities such as an international airport and professional sporting teams. Click here to learn more about the University.
Dixie State University is a fast-growing Utah public institution of higher education, with more than 12,000 students. We offer over 230 programs, including masters, bachelors, associates, certificates, endorsements, minors, and/or emphases. DSU seeks to recruit and retain diverse and ambitious faculty and staff who bring new ideas, possess values and career aspirations aligned with the mission and vision, and are inspired to build a premier open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic university. DSU is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer; the President and employees of DSU are fully committed to Affirmative Action and within its programs and activities, including in admissions and employment, Dixie State University does not discriminate or tolerate discrimination, including harassment, based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by University policy, Title IX, or any other federal, state or local law.
The following individuals have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the application of Title IX and its implementing regulations and/or DSU’s non-discrimination policies:
- Director of Equity Compliance / Title IX Coordinator: Hazel Sainsbury - firstname.lastname@example.org , HCC 579, 435-652-7747.
- Deputy Title IX Coordinator: Abby Del Giacco - email@example.com , 435-652-7731.
- U.S. Department of Education, Office of Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, firstname.lastname@example.org , 800-421-3481.
- U.S. Department of Education, Denver Regional Office, email@example.com , 303-844-5695.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.