Job Title Code
Salary Range (Full-Time)
$53,000 - $84,800 (dependent on experience and other considerations)
The Digital Writer/Editor is charged with developing engaging content for internal and external audiences, within the framework of the Dallas College mission of transforming lives and communities through higher education. From an initial idea or request, through the completion of fully deliverable products for use across digital platforms, the Digital Writer/Editor is responsible for maintaining an awareness of major initiatives at the college, as assigned, in order to produce a high volume of communications. These communications include but are not limited to written stories that showcase contributions of our employees toward student success and the achievements of our students. Vehicles for these products include the public website, the Dallas College intranet (SharePoint), the Dallas College Student Blog, newsletters, email marketing campaigns, video and social media. The Digital Writer/Editor is also responsible for administrative work to support the planning, coordination, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of digital publications.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Excellent writing and editing skills, as well as the ability to conform to the style, tone and voice of Dallas College.
• Significant experience in features and news writing, editing and writing for digital media.
• Strong judgment and the ability to identify subject matter that needs to be elevated, promoted and publicized across multiple channels.
• Proven ability to execute highly engaging, publishable content that meets the multifaceted needs of stakeholders, as well as the target audiences of Dallas College.
• An understanding of web editing tools, digital media and digital publishing procedures.
• Ability to interact knowledgeably with other editors, particularly the Digital Managing Editor and across teams (i.e., Digital Experience, Creative Services, Social Media, etc.) with regard to content priorities, while ensuring that content is developed with maximum reach in mind.
• A collegial approach that ensures content is reviewed by all relevant sources and parties, according to Dallas College policies, processes and guidelines, prior to publication or dissemination across any Dallas College channel.
• Strong customer service mindset, and the ability to influence and drive solutions amid competing demands for writing resources and support.
• Strong understanding of digital marketing principles and ability to offer customers/clients the most effective mode of digital communication for desired outcomes.
• Knowledge of journalistic style standards, including AP Style and the Dallas College Style Dictionary.
Normal physical job functions performed within a standard office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to individuals with physical challenges to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
Minimum Knowledge and Experience
• Associate or bachelor’s degree in marketing or related field or equivalent.
• Four (4) years of related writing and editorial experience.
• Two (2) years of experience working in an online publishing environment.
• Familiarity with content management systems and web publishing tools.
• Portfolio of 3-5 clips reflective of writing to deadline in a higher education environment.
• Successful completion of a short writing test may be required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Establishes and maintains effective working and information-gathering relations with subject matter experts, particularly among faculty and employees across the college, and with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
• Researches, writes, edits and proofreads a variety of print and digital content, including news stories, promotional copy, full-length articles for print and digital media.
• Maintains an editorial calendar to plan for and accommodate requests from clients and project leads/coordinators.
• Identifies new interview candidates, schedules and conducts interviews with them, subsequently developing feature-length articles. Ensures that digital content is fresh and appealing to our target audiences, and that it supports assigned missions, goals and objectives.
• Collaborates with other content writers, marketers and communicators across Dallas College to help advance projects and programs for internal and public relations purposes, especially in support of Dallas College’s new Schools and workforce initiatives.
• Coordinates with and edits the work of other writers and contributors to ensure consistency in style, tone and quality of assigned digital publication(s).
• Other duties as assigned.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by
incumbents of this job and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any
particular position. Incumbents may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this
description. Position requires regular and predictable attendance.
Dallas College is part of an equal opportunity system that provides education and employment opportunities without discrimination
on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
Dallas College complies with the Americans with Disabilities and Veterans Act.
Advertised: 08 Jun 2021 Central Daylight Time
Applications close: 22 Jun 2021 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time