Part-Time Academic Coach (In-Person)
Hudson County Community College
Position Vacancy Notice
Part-Time Academic Coach (In-Person)
(Posting date: June 8, 2021)
Hudson County Community College (HCCC) is an award-winning, comprehensive urban college serving one of the most historic and ethnically diverse areas of the United States. HCCC students were born in 119 countries and speak 29 different languages. The diversity and the multitude of our community’s cultures, life experiences, skills and aspirations, are the very values and traits that empower us to be productive and caring members of our society.
HCCC embodies an unwavering commitment to student success and an intentional focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion. In 2019, the President’s Advisory Council on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (PACDEI) was instituted to develop new levels of understanding and access and advance the College’s commitment to transparency and inclusion. We are proud of the differences we share, which are the foundation for the life changing and transformational education we offer and the social mobility we provide to the communities we serve.
HCCC has three campuses located just minutes from Manhattan: the Journal Square campus in Jersey City and North Hudson Campus in Union City are adjacent to vital transportation hubs; the Secaucus campus has abundant parking. Fully accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, the College offers courses and classes in a wide variety of disciplines to the people and businesses of Hudson County, one of the most ethnically diverse areas of the United States. The College was recognized with the 2012 Association of Community College Trustees (ACCT) Northeast Regional Equity Award, was one of just five finalists in the U.S. for the American Association of Community Colleges’ (AACC) Student Success Award, and was presented with the New Jersey Business & Industry Association’s Good Neighbor Awards in 2009 for the Culinary Conference Center, in 2012 for the North Hudson Campus, and in 2015 for the award-winning Gabert Library. In 2016 the Gabert Library was one of three academic libraries in the United States to receive the Excellence in Academic Libraries Award from the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL), and in 2019 the Tutoring Center received the Frank L. Christ Outstanding Learning Center Award for Two-Year Institutions. In 2019, the College joined Achieving the Dream as part of its expanding effort toward continuous improvement in student success.
HCCC has partnerships with every major four-year college and university in the greater New Jersey-New York area and beyond, accommodating seamless transfer of credits for further undergraduate and graduate education. Hudson County Community College is proud of its culture of care and invites applications from those wishing to join a community dedicated to promoting student success in all its forms.
ADJ Academic Support Services Department
Academic Coaches tutor students inside and outside of the English, Accounting, and STEM classrooms. Academic Coaches who have content knowledge and expertise are welcome to apply to work at the North Hudson Campus (Union City) and Jersey City Campus.
This is a part-time position. The working hours for this position consist of no more than 24 hours per week. The hours will be agreed upon by both the supervisor and employee at the onset of employment and are subject to change with notice based on enrollment in courses.
Academic Coaches tutor students inside and outside of the English, Accounting, and STEM classrooms. They are responsible for helping students bridge gaps in the comprehension of the course content. They assess, assist, and encourage students throughout the learning processes. These professionals also review materials used in classes, explain various topics, and address any questions regarding the topics covered in class. Their functions are a supplementation to classroom teaching.
Academic Coaches perform all of the following:
- Attend all class sessions, take notes, and read the textbook;
- Conduct tutoring sessions outside of the class each week;
- Communicate frequently with the instructor and provide him/her with updates regarding the students’ progress and feedback regarding the tutoring sessions;
- Tutor students in specific course material and integrate study and learning strategies to promote independent learning;
- Access course in Canvas to work collaboratively with the instructor and assist the students with the course content and submission of assignments;
- Use designated HCCC employee email address as primary method of communication and check HCCC email once a day;
- Complete and submit paperwork (Daily Logs, Class Report, Time Sheets, etc.) in a timely manner;
- Adhere to work schedule and contact the Head Academic Mentor immediately regarding lateness and absences;
- Assist the Head Academic Mentor in the training of new Academic Coaches;
- Attend mandatory Academic Coach and Tutor training sessions and follow the departmental policies and procedures;
- Perform other tutorial services and activities, as required;
- Maintain appropriate ethical and professional conduct while working with students, staff, and faculty and demonstrate respect for the diversity of staff, students, and faculty;
- Follow departmental compliance with relevant federal, state and local regulations, established Student and Academic Affairs policies and procedures, and the rules and regulations defined by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
Academic Coaches are chosen on the basis of academic skill, character, and the ability to communicate effectively with others. Academic Coaches are expected to have extensive knowledge in the subject they are hired to tutor and the ability to communicate that knowledge to students. All candidates for the Academic Coach position must meet the following minimum qualifications:
- Possess an associate's degree in discipline being tutored;
- Possess knowledge of basic computer functions and software, including Microsoft Word, email, and other software applications;
- Demonstrate and maintain a high level of confidentiality;
- Previous teaching or tutoring experience preferred but not required
Closing Date of Applications: July 8, 2021
For full consideration please send your cover letter, resume, and unofficial transcripts to Rose Dalton, the Head Academic Mentor, at email@example.com.
As a New Jersey First Act Employer, new employees must establish a primary residence in New Jersey within one year unless an exemption applies.
HCCC is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We are committed to ensuring a diverse and inclusive learning and working environment. Decisions on employment are made on the basis of the qualifications of an individual for the particular position being filled. Women, veterans and minorities are encouraged to apply.
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Competitive Part Time jobs in Jersey City
- Academic Affairs Administrative Competitive Part Time jobs in Jersey City
- Academic Administration Administrative Competitive Part Time jobs in Jersey City
- Other Academic Affairs Administrative Competitive Part Time jobs in Jersey City