College Safety Officer
Job Posting Title College Safety Officer Location Los Rios Community College District (District Office) Department Location Police Services Posting Number C01506P The Institution
The Los Rios Community College District is the second-largest, two-year public college district in California, serving approximately 75,000 students in the greater Sacramento region. The District’s 2,400 square mile service area includes Sacramento and El Dorado counties and parts of Yolo, Placer, and Solano counties and is comprised of four uniquely diverse colleges – American River, Cosumnes River, Folsom Lake, and Sacramento City colleges. In addition to each college’s main campus, the District offers educational centers in Placerville, Davis, West Sacramento, Elk Grove, Natomas, and Rancho Cordova.
The Los Rios District Office is centrally located in the heart of the Sacramento valley. The growing Capital Region has strong communities and emergent arts and dining scenes, and is nearby some of the most celebrated tourist destinations in the country – Lake Tahoe, Napa Valley, and San Francisco. The Sacramento area is a great place to live and work.
The District has approximately 6,000 employees throughout our four colleges and District Office complex. The District Office is centrally located between all four colleges and provides welcoming, inclusive, and equitable environments for Los Rios students, employees, and our community partners. Our departments strive for the highest quality in all programs, services, and activities, and are focused on advancing the learning of our diverse student population through improved academic and social outcomes.
Our Colleges offer equity-minded, academically rigorous, student success centered education. Our objective is to help our students successfully achieve their academic goals, whether they want to transfer to a four-year college or university, earn an associates degree, or obtain one of more than 100 certificates in high demand career fields.
Under the direction of the Chief of Police/designee and subject to District regulations, patrol and protect personnel, facilities and property; control traffic; assist with investigation of crimes on District property; enforce laws, traffic regulations and safety regulations; provide security and traffic control for large gatherings, assemblies or other District activities. [For a detailed job description for this SEIU (Blue Collar) posting posting Job Descriptions click here ].
This position is assigned to Police Services.
Los Rios Community College District offers competitive salaries and a very comprehensive employee benefits package to include medical insurance, CalPERS retirement, and opportunities for additional insurance and financial investments.
Full-time, twelve-month employees receive 17 days of annual paid holidays, 15 days’ vacation yearly (with increases after 10 years) and 8 hours of sick leave per month. Los Rios also offers extensive professional development opportunities with the district and financial support and/or paid time off to complete external academic studies. (See full SEIU contract agreement details)
● Patrols District property, both on foot and by vehicle.
● Makes frequent checks of buildings, vending areas, parking lots, etc.
● Makes frequent unscheduled checks on all areas deemed likely to attract criminal or vagrant activity.
● Secures/unlocks District facilities in absence of custodial staff.
● Responds and checks out alarm calls; resets alarms.
● Enforces District rules and regulations pertaining to parking, and issue parking citations.
● Provides traffic control and provides services for large gatherings, assemblies or other District activities.
● Meets with owners of cited vehicles to discuss citations.
● Posts vehicle abandonment notices and contact Police Communication Center for tow away.
● Appears in court as required.
● Maintains and performs minor repairs to daily parking permit dispensers.
● Performs minor emergency repairs as needed to secure District property.
● Cooperates with various public safety agencies and sworn District Police Officers in ensuring maintenance of public safety on District grounds.
● Responds to reports of disturbances and intercedes where appropriate.
● Enforces restraining orders when District property is included as a site in the restraining order.
● Advises public on use of facilities and directs unauthorized groups/individuals to depart District property.
● Responsible for access and intrusion systems districtwide.
● Renders emergency first aid and CPR as needed in absence of college nurse.
● Investigates crimes, such as stolen vehicles and locker/automobile burglaries.
● Performs vehicle jump starts and unlocks.
● Responds to calls on elevator problems.
● Promotes public relations.
● Provides public with directions and other assistance.
● Serves as members of campus committees as assigned/volunteered.
● Makes presentations in classrooms or at student forums on District police services and safety.
● Transports college nurse to campus locations for treatment of accidents/illnesses.
● Transports ill or injured students or staff to campus health center.
● Performs money escorts as required.
● Provides escort to parking lots, etc. as requested.
● Reports all traffic control signs and devices that are down or in need of repair.
● Prepares police reports (theft, vandalism, etc.) and takes statements from victims/witnesses.
● Prepares vehicle accident reports and take statements from parties and witnesses.
● Documents accident and incident scenes through photographs.
● Receives, takes and holds for safe keeping all recovered, found or abandoned property.
● Delivers recovered property (books, umbrellas, etc.) to Lost and Found.
● Contacts owner by telephone when appropriate.
Additional Information Work Year 12 month Work Schedule
7:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., Monday – Friday
Total Hrs per Week/Day 40 hours per week. Special Requirements
Possess and maintain a valid California Driver’s License in compliance with Los Rios Board Regulation R-8343; employment is contingent upon meeting the requirements of Los Rios Board Regulation R-8343. This position may require operating a District or personal vehicle in order to complete assigned work within the scope of the position duties. All work must be performed without the use of sidearms, or other defensive weapons; may use pepper spray and/or a baton (must meet the requirements of Government Code Section 1031 if carrying pepper spray or baton).
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a medical evaluation and a background check.
Within 90 days of hire, complete courses in first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation and maintain certification thereafter.
EXPERIENCE : One year experience in Los Rios Community College District ( LRCCD ) as a Campus Patrol or equivalent; OR one year of work experience in corrections or a security related field; OR successful completion of a basic police academy, or equivalent, certified by the commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training ( POST ).
Have an equity-minded focus, responsiveness, and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities as it relates to differences in learning styles; and successfully foster and support an inclusive educational and employment environment.
(Experience Requirement: One year of experience is equal to 12 months of experience at a maximum of 40 hours per week. Applicable part-time experience will be converted to the full-time equivalent for purposes of meeting the experience requirement. Education Requirement: 15 units are equal to six months of education; 30 units are equal to one year of education.)
Education must be from an accredited institution.
1. A completed Los Rios Community College District Classified Application (required).
2. Resume (required)
3. Unofficial transcripts of college/university work (required if using education to meet the Minimum Qualifications of this position).
4. Letter of Interest (required)
5. POST successful completion of a basic police academy, or equivalent, certified by the commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training ( POST ) (optional)
Physical Demands Salary $3,827.61 per month LRCCD Salary Schedules Additional Salary Information No additional salary information to note
Posting Date 06/08/2021 Closing Date 06/28/2021 Open Continuously No Beginning and/or Ending Dates
How and where to apply
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions for complete information on how to apply online with our District. Application services are available between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. If you need assistance with any phase of the application process, please call (916) 568-3112 during our business hours.
After hours inquiries should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submission of applications are by 11:59 p.m., of the posting closing date.
Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful clearance from a criminal background check, freedom from tuberculosis, and proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States prior to the first day of work. The District may select additional qualified candidates should unexpected vacancies or needs occur during this recruitment/selection process. When education is a requirement for the position, official academic transcripts from the accredited college/university must be submitted within 60 days of hire.
Quicklink https://jobs.losrios.edu/postings/15573 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Can you perform the essential functions of this position?
- * Considering this specific position that you are applying to –
where/how did you learn about this position?
- College Department
- Chronicle of Higher Ed (Vitea.com)
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Oakland
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Los Angeles
- Community College Registry Online Job Board
- Community Outreach (ex. Festivals, etc.)
- Diverse: Issues in Higher Education
- D'Primeramano Magazine
- Facebook (Campaign)
- Facebook (Los Rios Page)
- Greater Sacramento Urban League
- Handshake (CSU, UC Job Boards)
- Job Sites
- Job Journal
- Latina Leadership Network of the California Community Colleges
- Los Rios Community College District Employee
- Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Email
- Los Rios Community College District Website
- LRCCD Resource Group - API (Asian Pacific Islander Legacy)
- LRCCD Resource Group - Black Faculty & Staff Association (BFSA)
- LRCCD Resource Group Native American Collaborative (NAC)
- LRCCD Resource Group - Spectrum (LGBTQIA+)
- Professional Networks
- Sacramento Black Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Asian Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Builders Exchange
- Sacramento Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Rainbow Chamber of Commerce
- The HUB
- * I acknowledge and agree that I understand that by answering
the question below, I certify that the information provided by me
is true, correct and complete to the best of my knowledge and
belief. I authorize investigation of all statements contained
herein, and on the P-881 (if applicable and submitted), and I
release from liability all persons and organizations furnishing
such information. I understand that any misstatements, omissions or
misrepresentation of facts on this form, my application, and, if
applicable, the P-881 or attachment(s) may be cause for
disqualification or dismissal. If you have ever been convicted of
an offense other than a minor traffic violation you are required to
complete the form 'Arrests Which Led to Convictions for Crime',
P-881 (you must disclose convictions that have been dismissed
pursuant to Penal Code Section 1203.4; Ed. Code 87008). If needed
click on the link and download the form https://losrios.edu/lrccd/shared/doc/hr/forms/p-881.pdf
and attach the completed form to your application.
- Yes, I acknowledge and agree
- No, I do not acknowledge or agree
- No answer
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Interest
- Unofficial Transcript 1
- P-881 Report of Arrests Which Led To Convictions For Crime Document
- Unofficial Transcript 2
- Unofficial Transcript 3
- Foreign Transcript Evaluation
- Unofficial Transcript 4
- Unofficial Transcript 5
- P.O.S.T. Certificate