Personnel Status: Pin / Exempt
Open Date: June 7, 2021
Closing Date: Open Until Filled For best consideration, please apply by June 21, 2021.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise and direct the payroll staff.
- Review and prepare payrolls for entry and verify payrolls for processing in accordance with the payroll schedules established by Central Payroll Bureau (CPB) and the University.
- Ensure compliance with laws, regulations, and the established systems of internal control.
- Review policies and procedures for payroll processing and make recommendations for improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the process.
- Resolve payroll issues that may occur, including but not limited to overpayments, missed pays, and lost checks.
- Serve as the primary contact point with CPB and other external departments relevant to resolving payroll issues.
- Review payroll entries in CPB and release for payment.
- Manage PeopleSoft HR Payroll to ensure that processes and distributions are accurate and complete, submit weekly payroll data for entry into PeopleSoft GL.
- Reconcile CPB regular and contractual payroll to PeopleSoft Human Resources.
- Interact with payees and departments to resolve issues.
- Interact with the PeopleSoft HR Analyst to resolve issues with the system and Human Resources Office personnel to resolve data entry issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: Bachelor Degree required. Degree in a financial related field preferred. Minimum four (4) years of progressive experience in Payroll required, preferably in Maryland State service. One year of supervisory experience preferred. Two years working with an ERP system preferably PeopleSoft. Ability to manage and work as a team member. Thorough knowledge of complex and specialized payroll procedures and practices in PeopleSoft required. Proficient using Microsoft Excel and Word. Ability to train and supervise assigned staff in payroll. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Condition of Employment: Please be advised, COVID-19 vaccinations will be required for all eligible students, faculty and staff returning to USM institutions this fall.
SALARY: $62,000 - $72,000 RANGE: III
APPLICATION: Interested and qualified applicants should go to https://bowiestate.peopleadmin.com/ to apply online. Paper application submissions will not be considered.
Office of Human
Bowie State University
14000 Jericho Park Road
Bowie, MD 20715
Bowie State University is an
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Auxiliary aids and services for individuals with disabilities are available upon request. Please contact the University’s EEO Officer at 301-860-3442.
In accordance with the Cleary Act of 2000, you are advised to contact the Bowie State University Campus Police Office for Disclosure of Criminal Incidents that occur on our campus.