KUPS Operations Advisor
KUPS Operations Advisor
University of Puget Sound
Job ID: 5834
Location: ASUPS Media
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
Staff Posting Details
Appointment: This is a part-time position (.25FTE). 10 hours per week.
Position Summary: The KUPS Operations advisor exists to help KUPS 90.1 The Sound remain in FCC compliance. KUPS is nearly entirely student run, so this advisor assists with the general and technical operations of the radio station.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities:
- Maintain, repair, and replace station equipment. This includes, but is not limited to, the transmitter, antenna, soundboard, and certain computers.
- Adhere to FCC Guidelines. Assures adherence to FCC guidelines by maintaining station's license, operators' licenses, and other legal records required by the University and the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). A large part of assuring adherence to FCC guidelines takes place during DJ classes.
- Advise students in technical operations
- Assist students in using the station equipment when needed. Non-technical advising should only take place when solicited by the General Manager.
- Reports to KUPS General Manager and the ASUPS Vice President.
- Regularly communicates with the KUPS GM.
- Educates, advises and mentors student staff in the day to day operations of the radio station to include coordinating all DJ classes and offering advanced radio speech.
- T''each DJ classes. This includes, writing and grading exams; teach three to four one-hour new DJ classes (each offered twice for a total of eight new DJ classes) and one one-hour returning class (offered two to three times) each semester; teach remedial classes if necessary
- Manages station equipment, performs minor booth repairs, assists in any live audio needs of the station, with the help of student leaders, at the discretion of the general manager
- Meet weekly with the General Manager and Program Director in order to advise student staff in programming, promotions and fundraising, in coordination with the General Manager's vision for the station.
- Enforces University and FCC rules/regulations.
- Prepares quarterly reports regarding station operation for the General Manager and the ASUPS Vice President, if necessary.
- Edit and revise the KUPS DJ Handbook annually.
- Assists KUPS Webmaster with web site continuity and exploring options for advanced streaming of music.
- Assists with providing equipment and training with any live radio broadcasts on campus or in the community.
- Prepared weekly log of work completed to the Dean's Designee for timesheet approval'
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Not Applicable. May have review access to the KUPS Budget, at the request of the General Manager.
- Associate's degree in broadcasting, journalism, and/or communications, and/or three years of related experience/training to include previous radio station experience and experience with radio station equipment/communication systems. or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Candidates must be fully versed in FCC rules and regulations of broadcasting.
- Ability to work in a team management structure and establish effective working relationships with students also required. Ability to respectfully work, communicate and provide leadership within a diverse campus community. Ability to respectfully work, communicate and provide leadership within a diverse campus community.
Compensation and Benefits: Decisions about starting salaries are made based on the extent and relatedness of the candidate's education and experience and on internal equity and market considerations.
This position is not eligible for benefits.
Application Deadline: Search and selection procedures will be closed when a sufficient number of qualified candidates have been identified.
Letter of Interest
Applications submitted without the required attachments will not be considered.
All offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of a background inquiry and if applicable for the position, drug screen, physical test and functional assessment.
We acknowledge the
richness of commonalities and differences we share as a university
community; the intrinsic worth of all who work and study here; that
education is enhanced by investigation of and reflection upon
We aspire to
create respect for and appreciation of all persons as a key
characteristic of our campus community; to increase the diversity
of all parts of our University community through commitment to
diversity in our recruitment and retention efforts; to foster a
spirit of openness to active engagement among all members of our
We act to achieve
an environment that welcomes and supports diversity; to ensure full
educational opportunity for all who teach and learn here; to
prepare effectively citizen-leaders for a pluralistic world.
Puget Sound is committed to an environment that welcomes and supports diversity. We seek diversity of identity, thought, perspective, and background in our students, faculty, and staff. To learn more please visit: http://www.pugetsound.edu/about/diversity-at-puget-sound/
The University of Puget Sound is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: www.pugetsound.edu/employment
About Puget Sound
Puget Sound is a selective national liberal arts college in Tacoma, Washington, drawing 2,600 students from 48 states and 20 countries. Puget Sound graduates include Rhodes and Fulbright scholars, notables in the arts and culture, entrepreneurs and elected officials, and leaders in business and finance locally and throughout the world. A low student-faculty ratio provides Puget Sound students with personal attention from faculty who have a strong commitment to teaching and offer 1,200 courses each year in more than 40 traditional and interdisciplinary fields, including graduate programs in occupational and physical therapy and in education. Puget Sound is the only nationally ranked independent undergraduate liberal arts college in Western Washington, and one of just five independent colleges in the Pacific Northwest granted a charter by Phi Beta Kappa, the nation’s most prestigious academic honorary society. Visit "About Puget Sound" (http://www.pugetsound.edu/about) to learn more about the college.
As a strategic goal and through our core values, University of Puget Sound is committed to an environment that welcomes and supports diversity. We seek diversity of identity, thought, perspective, and background in our students, faculty, and staff. EOE/AA