The College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences is seeking three professional academic advisors, these are full-time administrative and professional faculty calendar-year positions that will support undergraduate students in identifying and achieving their academic and professional goals. This position provides academic and career advising services, maintains student files and records, and delivers accurate information and advice to students about majors, minors, course options, study abroad, internships/field studies, transfer credit, and extracurricular activities. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are core institutional values in the College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences. The professional academic advisor will have experience with, and enthusiasm for, serving a diverse and growing undergraduate student population.
The responsibilities of the professional advisor are to orient new students; monitor the academic progress of students and initiate academic interventions for students in academic difficulty; facilitate engaging advising events, programs, and workshops; guide class scheduling and registration; assist with commencement; address the needs of underrepresented and underserved students; and other duties as assigned. The professional academic advisor will assist the college in meeting its goals related to student recruitment, persistence, retention, and graduation. In addition, this position serves as a liaison to other offices at Virginia Tech. Some work in the evenings and on weekends is required.
• A master’s degree or higher in education, counseling, higher education administration, or related field; or a bachelor’s degree in education, counseling, or related field with training and work experience at a level equivalent to an advanced degree.
• Experience accurately applying academic policies and solving problems in a student-focused setting with diverse populations
• Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills
• Experience learning and working in a dynamic environment individually and as a part of a
• Knowledge of one or more of the fields of Communication, Human Development and Family
Science, or Sociology/Criminology
• Professional academic advising experience in higher education
• Experience using student information systems such as Banner and Navigate
• Membership in or modelling the core values of the NACADA The Global Community for
Academic Advising or other student-focused professional association(s)
Commensurate with experience with a budget maximum of $55,000
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
Electronic application must be submitted at jobs.vt.edu (Job number 516293), application requirements include a vita or resume, cover letter, list of three references and a statement of academic advising philosophy.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Karen Watson at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: June 7, 2021
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Education Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Counsellor Education Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Academic Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg