The School of Art and Design features many areas of study and
offers five undergraduate programs: communication design, studio,
photography, art education, and art history. It also offers an
M.F.A. program in communication design. Our programs are nationally
and regionally recognized, including our B.F.A. and M.F.A. in
communication design. We believe in fostering conceptual and
technical abilities necessary for artistic expression, and our more
than 80 diverse faculty members support this effort.
We are seeking a diverse range of communication design educators
for a visiting assistant professor in communication design position
for the academic year 2021-2022, with the possibility of renewal
for a second year. We are looking for faculty to collaborate within
our large and successful program and contribute to maintaining and
improving its position as one of the premier programs in our
ever-changing field. All positions are subject to availability of
- Teach three courses per semester, per academic year at the
B.F.A. and /or M.F.A. level as assigned by the Director.
- Engage in service to the school, college, university, community
Texas State University, an emerging research university, offers
more than 200 undergraduate and post-graduate degrees through our
nine academic colleges. Located in San Marcos, it is well situated
between the vibrant design and technology communities in Austin and
Texas State University is an affirmative action equal
opportunity employer. The university strives to cultivate a
diversity of people and ideas, a spirit of inclusiveness, a global
perspective, and a sense of community as essential conditions for
campus life (www.txstate.edu/about/mission).
Women, members of minority and underrepresented groups, persons
with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
• An M.F.A., M.Des., or Ph.D. degree in communication design,
visual communication, graphic design or related discipline
completed by date of hire;
• A record of professional accomplishments in research/creative
activity within the area of communication design;
• Knowledge of and experience with computer-mediated technologies
and core software applications relevant to the communication design
discipline (e.g., Macintosh OS, Adobe Creative Suite);
• Excellent typography skills (demonstrated through professional
• Knowledge in emerging technologies within the field;
• Strong conceptual and formal design skills; and
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
One or more years of successful undergraduate and /or graduate
university/college level teaching (may include graduate teaching
assistant appointment) as it pertains to the communication design
• Curriculum development for communication design;
• Demonstrated engagement in service to school, college,
university, community and/or profession;
• Online or hybrid teaching experience; and
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Only applications submitted through the Texas State University
website will be accepted and considered, https://jobs.hr.txstate.edu/postings/34991.
To ensure full consideration, please submit the materials listed
below by June 15, 2021:
1. Letter of Application stating how your experience and
credentials fulfill the requirements for this position (not to
exceed two pages).
2. Curriculum vitae including phone number, email address and
professional website link.
3. Up to 20 digital files (multi-page, single PDF) representing 10
of your creative works (may include time-based excerpts no longer
than five minutes each).
4. Digital files (multi-page, single PDF) of 10 student works
created under your direction.
5. An annotated list for both personal and student files. For
personal work, state title, media, and date. For student work,
provide course title, media, date, and assignment.
6. A statement addressing your current creative/professional work
in relationship to the future of the communication design
discipline (one page maximum).
7. A statement of Teaching Philosophy.
8. Contact information (e-mail address, phone numbers) for three
Examples of web/video/animation motion graphics must be listed
as hyperlinks within the PDF file and link to portfolio web sites
or video sharing sites such as Vimeo. Do not upload motion graphics
All correspondence regarding the search will be conducted via
email. Please send any inquiries to email@example.com and
include job number (202142FAC) in all correspondence.