Interim Assistant/Associate Director of the McKeen Center for the Common Good
Title Interim Assistant/Associate Director of the McKeen Center for the Common Good Posting Number S00812JP Department McKeen Center for the Common Good Job Summary
The Joseph McKeen Center for the Common Good provides opportunities for students, faculty, and staff to discover the ways in which their talents, passions, and academic pursuits can be cultivated for the benefit of society through public engagement. The Interim Assistant or Associate Director oversees the Bowdoin Public Service Initiative, which provides students with opportunities to gain insight into the rewards and challenges of serving the common good through government; Community Immersion Orientation Trips for incoming first-year students; the Winter Break Community Engagement Fund, which supports individual students who commit to completing 50-100 hours of service over winter break; and works with the McKeen Center director to run the Leading for the Common Good program and plan Bowdoin and the Common Good, a year-end symposium highlighting community engagement throughout all parts of the College.
• Bachelor’s degree
• Demonstrated commitment to working closely with a diverse population of undergraduates; competence in areas of diversity and inclusion; and the ability to help students explore their own identities (e.g. race, class, gender, sexuality, etc.) in the context of their interactions with community partners and the populations they serve
• Program management skills, including setting and achieving learning goals, relationship and curriculum development, and reflection facilitation
• Ability to work independently and as a part of a team
• Strong organizational skills and experience collaborating with multiple stakeholders
• Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
• Experience with government and public service preferred but not required
Associate Director Qualifications (in addition to above)
• Minimum 4 years professional experience
• Ability to guide groups of 10-15 students solo in community engagement experiences
• Experience advising students in areas such as career exploration, internships, or academic pursuits
Experience Requirements and/or Equivalents
Experience in public service, non-profit organizations, and/or student leadership development in higher education. Experience or familiarity with government organizations, particularly in Washington, D.C., is a plus.
Standard Work Days and Hours
Typical hours are Monday – Friday 9am-5pm. However, some evenings may be required. Ability to travel with students to Washington, D.C. for one week in March is required.
The position will run from July 15, 2021 until June 30, 2022.
This is an exempt position requiring time commitment necessary to satisfactorily complete job requirements.
Bowdoin embraces diversity in all forms, and the College is home to talented students, faculty and staff—with a variety of racial, ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds; religious beliefs; and gender identities, among other factors.
We encourage applications from candidates committed to the support of an inclusive campus community and those who will enrich and contribute to the College’s multifaceted diversity. We value a community in which individuals of all backgrounds are warmly welcomed and encouraged to succeed.
Founded in 1794, Bowdoin has maintained its commitment to the liberal arts for well over 200 years. Bowdoin’s reputation as a preeminent liberal arts college rests on the excellence of its faculty, students, and staff; intimate size; strong sense of community; and connections to the people, history, and natural beauty of Maine.
Bowdoin’s campus is situated in a beautiful natural setting. Located in Brunswick, Maine, a town of approximately 20,000, the College is a short drive from the Maine coast, twenty-five miles from Portland and 120 miles from Boston.
Shift Employment Category Full Time Year Round FTE 0.92 Benefits Eligible Yes Pay Type Salaried Background Check Package Requirements Is driving a vehicle (e.g. Bowdoin vehicle or off road vehicle, rental car, personal car) an essential function of this job? No Is a pre-placement physical required for this position? No Posting Date 05/28/2021 Applications Accepted Until Open Until Filled Yes Type of Posting Internal/External Special Instructions to Applicants EEO Information
Bowdoin College complies with applicable provisions of federal and state laws that prohibit unlawful discrimination in employment, admission, or access to its educational or extracurricular programs, activities, or facilities based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry and national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, age, marital status, place of birth, genetic predisposition, veteran status, or against qualified individuals with physical or mental disabilities on the basis of disability, or any other legally protected statuses.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Resume / Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Birch Island
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Birch Island
- Other Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Birch Island
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Birch Island
- Community Relations & Institutional Outreach Not specified Full Time jobs in Birch Island