Senior Associate Vice Chancellor/Chief Human Resources Officer
Are you passionate about higher education and helping people and organizations achieve their full potential? The University of Colorado Boulder (CU Boulder) encourages applications for a Senior Associate Vice Chancellor/Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO). This position supports the learning and research mission of CU Boulder by providing primary support and services to faculty and staff in their careers and providing organizational and workforce strategy to the campus. The CHRO also demonstrates and promotes a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout the Institution.
The CHRO reports directly to the Chief Operating Officer (COO) and is an active member and leader of the Strategic Resources and Support team that supports the COO in collaborative decision-making to advance campus objectives. This position also serves as a member of the Chancellor’s Cabinet and a key participant in developing and achieving the institution’s strategic goals. The CHRO works with the Chancellor and campus leadership (University Executive Leadership Team, Council of Deans, and Shared Governance Leaders) to move HR priorities forward.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
CU Boulder is a comprehensive public doctoral Research University, a member of the Association of American Universities, and classified as an R1 University. The university has nine schools and colleges offering over 150 academic programs and enrolling 35,000 degree-seeking undergraduate and graduate students. CU Boulder’s Human Resources organization serves as a strategic partner to achieve campus goals, contribute to the significant role CU Boulder faculty and staff play in the future of CU Boulder’s students, community, and the world; and maximize the potential of every individual to be outstanding at what they do.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
The CHRO is the principal steward for the university’s human capital, providing institutional leadership and service to sustain CU Boulder as an employer of choice and help enable the achievement of the learning and research missions of the institution. Through the development and ongoing assessment of programs, policies, systems, infrastructure, and services, the CHRO is charged with ensuring that human resources support an optimal environment for recruitment, development, and retention of faculty and staff.
The CHRO coordinates a current budget of $6 million and a staff of approximately 100. The Boulder campus has approximately 5,000 faculty, 5,000 staff, and 14,000 students/temporary employees. This role develops and drives strategy by ensuring policies and infrastructure exist to map, guide, and support the future of work.
Job duties include:
- Provide advice and counsel to institutional leadership in operationalizing the university’s strategic vision and imperatives ( https://www.colorado.edu/chancellor/strategic-plan ) from a human resources perspective.
- Ensure institutional leadership has reliable workforce data upon which to base institutional decisions and keep leadership aware of internal and external trends.
- Work closely with the Provost’s office and Faculty Affairs to understand and support the unique HR needs of faculty, academic and instructional staff, student employees, and researchers.
- Develop strategic partnerships with campus leadership and administrators based on a shared dedication to excellence. In doing so, provide managers and supervisors with the skills and resources to manage effectively.
- Build an inclusive, comprehensive, and forward-thinking approach to human resource policy development and administration; review current practices and policies and recommend changes where appropriate, particularly related to equity and building a more agile and flexible work environment.
- Ensure successful recruiting, job classification, and market-based compensation systems exist to support hiring, retention, and equitable pay at all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrate a consultative approach to problem-solving and developing solutions that benefit all parties for employee relations and human resources-related situations.
- Survey faculty and staff engagement and provide strategies to improve engagement and retention.
- Continuously evaluate and improve the HR infrastructure and technology to support agile and effective HR business processes. Serve as primary liaison with CU System on multi-campus or centralized HR initiatives.
- Act as the primary liaison to CU Boulder Staff Council and other shared governance groups concerning HR issues.
- Ensure HR infrastructure that is responsive to institutional needs, reflecting and complementing the respective needs and cultures of the constituent organizations as well as the marketplace.
- Support the mental health and wellness of the institution through services and support to faculty and staff.
- Embody a collaborative, caring, and responsive leadership style that is manifested throughout the office of human resources and serves as a model for the institution.
- Stay abreast of current human resources trends and practices within the higher education, corporate and not-for-profit arenas and integrate them as appropriate.
- Serve as the steward of HR’s budget and resources with oversight and responsibility for its sound fiscal management.
- Utilize a values-based competency model that informs hiring practices, talent management, and leadership development.
- Support HR’s dedicated DEI team of professionals in providing programs and assessments to instill a campus culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Engage and collaborate with CU Boulder’s IDEA Plan (https://www.colorado.edu/odece/cu-boulder-diversity-plan) in close consultation with the Senior Vice Chancellor for DEI.
- Represent the university in a thoughtful, positive, and progressive manner to institutional peers, professional organizations, and business associates. This includes working collaboratively with CHRO's from the other CU campus locations.
What We Can Offer
Salary range is $250,000 - $300,000 with relocation expenses available.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Collaborative. Be Impactful. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- A graduate degree from an accredited institution in human resources/organization management, business, or related field plus at least eight years of progressively more complex professional human resources experience, including at least five years at a senior management level.
- Success in managing people, leading change, and developing high-performing organizations, in addition to superb communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience and familiarity with the functional areas of human resources, including, classification, compensation, performance management, organizational and leadership development, organizational design, talent management, recruitment, onboarding, retention, training and professional development, leave administration including FMLA and ADA compliance, employee relations, recognition and rewards, affirmative action and EEO compliance, and relevant employment law and compliance law.
What You Will Need
- Ability to manage both the big picture and operational details: evidence of ability to lead an organization to achieve strategic goals, to continuously refine organizational plans, structure, and operations; comfort delegating day-to-day management and decision making to senior managers with accountability.
- Ability to think and act strategically – institutionally as a member of the university’s leadership team, divisionally as leader of a complex human resources organization, and individually as a mentor and advisor to client leadership.
- Sophistication to understand the potential value of technological innovations to harness and use emerging technology for high tech – high touch HR operations that meet divergent needs.
- A clear vision for the possibilities of a human resources program at a research university with a vision of the future work environment needed to achieve success as an institution of higher education.
- An appreciation and understanding of the academic landscape in Higher Education as it relates to HR.
- Demonstrated ability to provide inspirational and creative leadership.
- The ability to make persuasive and insightful public presentations.
- A sophisticated intellect, capable of relating on a peer basis with academic and executive leadership colleagues.
- A proactive client/customer service focus, coupled with a collaborative style.
- Initiative and the willingness to take calculated risks.
- A demonstrated appreciation for and understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusiveness.
- High energy and grace under pressure.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Successful experience developing and optimizing an enterprise-wide human resources information system that produces useful, timely, and needed management data.
- Experience working in higher education, including an understanding of challenges and collaboration present within the higher education context.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Please apply by July 6th, 2021 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs .
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: Recruiting@colorado.edu
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Human Resources Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Chief Business Officers & Vice Presidents Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder