DIRECTOR, CAREER SERVICES
Ithaca College's unique combination of size (roughly 5000 undergraduate and graduate students combined) and academics offers a personalized experience with the best of a liberal arts residential college with the top-ranked professional programs typically found at larger institutions. As a private college dedicated to the public good that believes diversity drives innovation, our students share a passion for making change and making a positive impact on their communities, at IC, in Ithaca, and beyond.
The Director of Career Services will join a community that has embarked on the implementation of Ithaca Forever, IC’s strategic plan for the future, which clearly articulates our goal to “become a model for student success, engagement, and well-being, and help students develop their unique potential.” The Director will play a critical part in achieving that goal.
The Director of Career Services is responsible for the overall administration and management of a comprehensive career center serving all academic programs at Ithaca College, and will provide strategic leadership in developing innovative services and programs to meet the needs of undergraduate and graduate students, alumni and the employment community.
Responsibilities include providing leadership in developing a network in support of career preparation, development and attainment that includes the entire Ithaca College campus as well as external supporters of the college, both alumni and others. The Director will support existing services and programs including career development, professional development, career planning, internship development, and assessment of services.
This position reports to the Vice President for Student Affairs and Campus Life. This position provides direct supervision to the staff in the Office of Career Services.
- Set the strategic vision and develop, implement, and evaluate a comprehensive and agile career services strategy and program that supports the College's commitment to preparing graduates for professional success and meaningful careers in consultation with the Vice President for Student Affairs and Campus Life, monitor and report progress toward strategic goals and objectives.
- Engage in extensive outreach on- and off-campus, working with external and internal constituents to create a shared vision around career readiness and success. Lead the ongoing development of a robust network committed to supporting that vision as an integral component of the academic mission of Ithaca College.
- Lead staff in developing and implementing a comprehensive department strategy and shared strategic priorities to ensure that stakeholder needs are met, and that students and alumni have access to relevant and timely career information. Oversee the management of office operations and ensure all college policies, regulations, and internal customer service expectations are followed.
- Develop, demonstrate, and promote an equity centered awareness and contribute to cultivating an inclusive, diverse and respectful College community. Demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion as a college priority, communicate to employees an expectation of behavior that is civil and inclusive when interacting with all staff, faculty, students and visitors and promote a flexible, collaborative and inclusive work and living environment.
- Set the strategic direction of employer engagement and build and maintain relationships with employers, alumni and families to steward extern, intern, full-time and programming opportunities in collaboration with employers and staff. Build rapport and market the strengths and value of an Ithaca College education and Ithaca College students. Work with employers and staff to create new relationships and expand existing relationships.
- Develop understanding of the unique needs within the various schools and academic programs; prioritize and direct initiatives to develop programs and resources relevant to those needs and congruent with workforce needs.
- Coordinate efforts with campus offices including admission, philanthropy and alumni engagement, schools and other College departments to ensure efficient relationship management and development with community members. In collaboration with philanthropy and engagement, identify potential revenue streams for office that will allow for innovation and accessibility to opportunity for all students.
- Lead and leverage national benchmarking efforts to advance the career readiness and success of Ithaca College graduates. Research professional development trends and develop comparative and benchmark information. Utilize assessment information to modify programs and services. Regularly measure outcomes of student career preparation programs and services and report results to stakeholders.
- Using quantitative and qualitative data, regularly conduct gap analysis based upon career services standards benchmark data; create reports outlining strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats and improvement plans; implement initiatives to address any potential gaps.
- Lead and mentor staff, and direct various personnel actions including hiring, merit recommendations, promotions, time off requests, position reviews, dismissals and other concerns. Provide support and assistance in setting performance goals, reaching goals, and engaging in self-assessment. Conduct annual performance reviews and appraisal of team.
- Oversee the department's budget and ensure that resources are aligned with priorities.
- Represent Ithaca College in various local, state, regional and national organizations to increase presence of Ithaca College Career Services and our role in workforce development and career education of students and alumni. Stay current with industry standards and changes, revise programs to appropriately reflect current and emerging trends. Regularly communicate industry feedback about student readiness and industry recruiting trends to campus community including but not limited to faculty and administration.
- Stay current on changing economic and labor conditions and industry trends in state, region, nationally and globally, and share information with College leadership and faculty to inform future academic program development.
- Serve on various cross-functional teams or task forces to promote the vision and direction of Ithaca College Career Services; contribute to the strategic planning of the institution in order to evolve services and programs. Provide leadership for or assistance with various special programs and projects in line with the strategic direction of the college. Participate in college committees providing representation of the office on campus issues.
- In collaboration with Human Resources and Student Financial Services, develop a campus-wide competency-based model for student employment, ensuring that campus jobs provide clearly articulated and meaningful opportunities for Ithaca College students to grow and learn professional skills.
Master's degree in higher education or relevant field with a minimum of 5 years progressive experience in career services; industry experience is desirable as well. Proven leadership experience, excellent interpersonal, organizational, written and verbal communication skills, extensive contacts within the corporate or educational communities, excellent public relations and presentation skills, proven ability to develop long range planning and budget administration, ability to effectively market the Office of Career Services in securing professional placement for students with various academic disciplines and backgrounds, and knowledge of current career development theory, job search methods, resume writing, and graduate school searches. Highly collaborative, strong customer service orientation, with demonstrated ability to develop relationships with colleagues across administrative units and academic schools/departments. Ability to adapt nimbly and quickly to changing conditions and develop innovative approaches to solving problems. Ability to cultivate an inclusive, diverse and welcoming environment; ability to treat all people equitably and with a sensitivity and awareness to cultural difference; demonstrated ability to hold others accountable for behavior that is supportive of a community that is diverse and inclusive are required.
Interested applicants must apply online at ithaca.edu/jobs and attach a resume and cover letter. Questions about online applications should be directed to the Office of Human Resources at email@example.com .
Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.
Visa sponsorship is not provided for this position.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Ithaca
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Ithaca
- Chief Academic Officers & Vice Presidents Not specified Full Time jobs in Ithaca
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Ithaca
- Human Resources Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Ithaca