The Senior Buyer is responsible for the logistical strategic procurement of University goods and services, the request for proposal ( RFP / RFI / RFQ ) processes, and the sourcing and vendor qualification. The Senior Buyer is accountable for providing strategic sourcing initiatives and contract recommendations to the University based on procurement knowledge. The position requires a high degree of experience with contract negotiations, vendor relationship management, researching and analyzing data in accord with University policy and procedures.
Essential Job Functions of Position
• Advise University departments of University policies, regulations and procedures for the procurement of goods and/or services.
• Analyze purchase requisitions for accuracy.
• Follow proper procedures and policies to obtain purchase authorizations.
• Investigate and cultivate new sources for supplies and products.
• Develop specifications and requests for quotations/proposals to facilitate the procurement of goods and services that meet users’ requirements at the most reasonable cost.
• Solicit bids or proposals from responsible bidders according to University policy. Responsible for providing award recommendations to appropriate staff.
• Issue bid requests to potential vendors and suppliers.
• Review quotes and secure the most competitive bids.
• Identify and select vendors/suppliers using criteria such as quantity and quality of commodities, price, and delivery date.
• Determine the correct method to process purchase requisitions. (e.g., total cost, timeliness, competitive bidding, and existing contracts.)
• Place orders to procure requisitioned items or services.
• Process purchasing transactions according to local, state, and federal policies and procedures.
• Resolve problems with orders in an efficient and timely manner.
• Cross train with other staff to provide support as needed or in the absence of other staff.
• Perform additional job related duties as assigned or as appropriate.
Non-Essential Job Functions of Position
• Create, maintain and update One Card files for reference and to support reporting activities.
• Meet with University departments and vendors to evaluate photo copier needs and identify new/replacement equipment accordingly. Monitor the use and age of existing equipment to determine when replacement and/or an upgrade is needed.
• Create and update vendor files (W-9 and ACH ) in appropriate computer programs to provide data and information to support Purchasing and Finance (payment) functions.
• Assist in developing and revising policies.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in business or public administration, procurement, accounting, or a closely related field. Four years of procurement experience.
Preferred: Procurement experience in a public or higher education setting.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Effective communication skills. Ability to multi-task, meet critical deadlines, and follow through on assignments. Proven ability to work well under pressure while maintaining accuracy and confidentiality. Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain professional relationships with a wide variety of constituents. Proficiency using Microsoft Office.
Preferred: Experience using automated financial systems such as Ellucian Banner.
Licenses, Certifications & Registrations
Additional Requirements (e.g. Physical Demands)
Campus Security Authority
Special Instructions to Applicant
Regular Business Hours
Average Hours per Week
Months per Year
Washburn is dedicated to providing a student-centered and teaching focused academic environment and a curriculum that engages the diversity of human experience across the globe. We seek candidates who are committed to Washburn’s efforts to create a climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented in higher education. Application materials should clearly articulate how the candidate will contribute to the University’s commitment to diversity and inclusion through their teaching, research, and/or service.
Washburn University is an EOE . Washburn University provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status, or marital or parental status.
Background Check Required?
Driving History Checked?
Drug Screen Required?
Anticipated Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
For earliest consideration apply by
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled?
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree in business or public
administration, procurement, accounting, or a closely related
- * Do you have four years of procurement experience?
- Do you have experience supervising employees?
- Cover Letter
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Topeka
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Topeka
- Accounting & Finance Not specified Full Time jobs in Topeka
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Topeka
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Topeka