3D Graphics Adjunct Instructor for VCUarts Department of Communication Arts
Job Code/Title AJ - Adjunct Position Number J00001 Working Title 3D Graphics Adjunct Instructor for VCUarts Department of Communication Arts Department Communication Arts Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Anticipated Hiring Range Commensurate with Experience or Standard Rate Campus Monroe Park Campus Position Type Adjunct - Teaching Hours/Week Normal work days Normal work hours Job Category Adjunct - Teaching Does this position provide patient or clinical services to the VCU Health System? No Does this position require a pre-placement medical assessment? No Is any portion of this position grant-funded? No Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Description of the Job
Virginia Commonwealth University School of the Arts (VCUarts) department of Communication Arts is establishing a pool of applicants for possible 3D artist and modeler instruction positions. This pool of applicants could be drawn upon to provide special teaching expertise when needed; and/or to meet special programmatic needs not otherwise provided for within the program. The applicant pool will remain active until the listed closing date of the job posting.
Given these criteria, this pool will only be assessed when an adjunct opportunity arises. If an adjunct opportunity arises, only those selected for an interview will be contacted directly by the department.
Adjunct faculty are expected to be thoughtful and proactive members of the Communication Arts community and have a desire to work with a diverse student population in a collaborative, inclusive and learning-centered collective.
Education / Experience********
• MFA in the field of 3D graphics or a related field (cinema, art, computer science, engineering or computer graphics) — or — a BFA in the field of 3D graphics or a related field (cinema, art, computer science, engineering or computer graphics) and additional training and/or professional experience that equates and/or parallels the artistic development expected in a terminal degree holder.
• Previous teaching experience or demonstrated oral communication and presentation skills.
• Teach students to generate concepts, create 3D models, textures, cinematically lit raytraced renders using Autodesk Maya and Arnold in a highly organized and production ready methodology.
• Teach NURBS, Polygon, and SubD surface modelling techniques.
• Teach UV layout and texturing with both painted and photographic textures.
• Teach procedural material creation and photorealistic and stylized rendering techniques.
• Teach students to successfully light and compose scenes for production ready results.
• Lead critiques of student work for assigned projects that address technical, art and tone direction
• Develop solutions and techniques that serve to further educate students about best practices with their scenes, naming conventions, hardware maintenance, and file management.
• Troubleshoot technical problems (MacOS and Windows), explain complex concepts, and find both technical and creative solutions that address student project needs.
• Work closely with the Digital 3D Studio team to create meaningful and robust assignments that fulfill the overall learning objectives.
• Experience with MEL
Job Open Date 06/04/2021 Remove from posting on or before 06/01/2022 Open Until Filled No Special Instructions to Applicants
To apply, please submit application materials via VCU eJobs at www.vcujobs.com. Only electronic applications submitted via eJobs will be accepted.
Application materials should include the following:
o Current CV or Resume
o A list of three current references including names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses (references will not be contacted prior to applicant’s approval)
o Portfolio of work- visual documentation of professional work, and examples of student work, if available.
CV/Resume and list of references should be submitted as one PDF in the “Curriculum Vitae (CV)” section of eJobs; and, due to file size limitations, the portfolio of work should be submitted in the “Other Document” section of eJobs as an accessible link in a PDF that points to a website or cloud storage (with access instructions) to view all visual work.
Additional Information Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/106626 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Other Document
- Reference Letter - 1
- Reference Letter - 2
- Reference Letter - 3