Student Support & Content Specialist, Montana Digital Academy
The Montana Digital Academy invites applications for two (2) Student Support & Content Specialist’s to join their team. Under the supervision of the MTDA Curriculum Director/Assistant Director, the Student Support and Content Specialist is an integral part of the management and operation of the student experience at MTDA. This position is responsible for K-12 student outreach and engagement support, course content upkeep and development, enrolling local school support, data evaluation, reporting processes, marketing and school customer support, and helpdesk management. This person will also strategically design and deliver appropriate training for local school site facilitators and other staff. The individual will also work with MTDA teachers to vet content, address content issues, assist in designing replacement content, and manage development projects.
Student Support and Engagement
- Work one-on-one with students (and their parents/guardians) to troubleshoot delays and gaps in student engagement and progress
- Connect students with MTDA resources
- Provide one-on-one consultation for personnel who are newly assigned site facilitators at the local school
- Create and disseminate site facilitator training materials and student educational materials for the current version of Moodle and other software applications for instruction
- Assist in MTDA online helpdesk system
Curriculum and content review, modification, and development
- Manage the review, maintenance, and modification of learning objects in content expertise areas, in consultation with MTDA teachers
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of state and national standards and pedagogical evolution for two or more content areas
Learning Management Systems Support
- Assist customization of the appearance and operation of the Moodle LMS, including the development of course templates.
- When needed and appropriate, investigate and recommend technical solutions and implementation strategies.
- Assist in Moodle training and support for MTDA teachers.
Learning Object Repository Support
- Research and test new technologies related to MTDA teaching and learning delivery.
- Maintain learning object integrity and functionality
Supporting Local Schools
- Consultation with school districts on MTDA implementation
- Assist in the design and customize training related to the unique needs of local schools.
- Present at training and promotional events.
Student Information System Data Collection
- Assist in collecting student reports
- Quality control
- The position is a full-time Letter of Appointment and includes a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package (i.e., MUS health insurance benefits, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program).
- Salary for this position is $65,000 per year commensurate with qualifications.
- Knowledge of Learning Management System like Moodle
- Knowledge of working in a cloud-based environment (including Google Apps and Zoho Cloud Tools).
- Knowledge of Content Management Systems like WordPress
- Demonstrated excellence in written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and team-related skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and proficiencies with Microsoft Office products.
- Willingness to learn new or emerging technologies.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision while maintaining high level, quality work and output.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic, results-oriented environment.
Minimum Required Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in education or related field
- 1-5 years of experience in K-12 education
- Experience as an online teacher or student
- Experience in an educational administrative environment
- Master’s degree or beyond in education or related field
- 5+ years of experience in K-12 education
- Multiple subject area preparation and experience (for example, mathematics and science, world language and social studies)
About the Montana Digital Academy and UM
Montana Digital Academy (MTDA) is the statewide digital online school for the State of Montana. Created by the Montana legislature in 2009 in Statute 20-7-1201 which authorized its creation and located it at the University of Montana. The purposes of the MTDA are to:
(a) Make distance learning opportunities available to all school-age children through public school
districts in the state of Montana;
(b) Offer high-quality instructors who are licensed and endorsed in Montana and courses that are in
compliance with all relevant education and distance learning rules, standards, and policies; and
(c) Emphasize the core subject matters required under the accreditation standards, offer advanced
courses for dual credit in collaboration with the Montana university system, and offer enrichment courses.
MTDA and the University of Montana have established a unique, one-of-a-kind partnership, among the 36 statewide online schools across the United States. MTDA is the only state online program that is a part of a College of Education at a major university.
The University of Montana is a unit of the Montana University System with over 10,000 students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 72,000, surrounded by mountain grandeur which was recently ranked in the “ top 20 best college towns with a population of less than 250,000 ” by the American Institute for Economic Research and ranked 9th in Outside Magazine’s “ The 16 Greatest Places to Live in America” in 2014 . Many national publications recognize Missoula for its high quality of life . Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action : Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Application Deadline: Tuesday , June 22, 2021 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Candidates are required to submit the following materials online.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular