Public Speaking Adjunct Faculty
Woodbury University invites applications for an Adjunct Faculty to join the school of Media, Culture, and Design located in Burbank, California. The Department of Communications is looking for an experienced part-time Public Speaking faculty to teach starting Fall 2021 semester.
This appointment is for part-time employment and includes eligibility to participate in medical plans, 403(b) supplemental plan, and access to the tuition-remission benefit on a proportional basis. Eligibility is after 30 days of service on the first of the following month.
The Communication program allows students to tailor their education in media studies or strategic communication. Students learn how to speak about, write about, promote and produce a range of communication media including print, television, film and social media, as well as media forms of the future.
Information on the program can be found at the link(s) below:
- Teach 1-2 sections of Public Speaking, a required course for all students at Woodbury University
- Syllabus and class preparation
- Instruction during scheduled course times
- Availability to students for consultation and assistance as needed outside of class
- Evaluation of student performance (e.g., grading papers, exams, projects, juries)
- Regular evaluation of students’ work, including prompt communication of performance on assignments
- Submission of final grades to the Registrar’s Office, which is currently completed via Woodbury University Self- Service
We ask all faculty members to assess students’ work early and often with a minimum of three written assessments for the semester. You may also need to meet periodically with your supervisor during the academic term regarding matters related to your employment.
- At least 1 year teaching experience required.
- PhD or ABD in Communication, Media Studies, or related field required.
- Experience managing class rosters, attendance, timely grading of assignments.
- Able to provide critical, informed, and creative feedback to students.
Review of applications will begin immediately and remain open until filled. Submissions should include:
- Current resume/CV
- Cover Letter listing years of experience teaching Public Speaking & description of candidate’s education and research interests
- 2 Letters of Recommendation (recommended, not required)
All application materials must be submitted through the Woodbury University Job Board. Email applications and submissions on third party platforms will not be considered.
Woodbury University is dedicated to celebrating diversity and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Woodbury University is an EEO/AA institution committed to multicultural diversity in its peoples and programs. All employment decisions for all job classifications will be made on the basis of such factors as education, character, ability, skill and training, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political orientation, disability, veteran status, marital status, parental status, genetic information, membership or non-membership in any lawful organization, or any other protected status.