Admission Counselor, Undergraduate Admission
Suffolk University is a private, urban university located in the heart of downtown Boston. Our college green is the Boston Common and we are steps from dozens of historic sites including the Old State House, Faneuil Hall, City Hall and the Massachusetts State House. We have no real boundaries to our campus—Boston and Suffolk blend together.
Suffolk has been committed to creating an exceptional learning experience since 1906. Our vision is to be recognized as a dynamic institution that fosters engaged learning, rigorous scholarship, innovative thinking, and community collaboration across disciplines. We will ensure that Suffolk graduates are versatile and prepared for modern society and the new world market. We will provide rich curricula, experiential learning opportunities and professional mentoring through increased collaboration with alumni and community partners. We will recruit, mentor, and support a diverse faculty of teacher-scholars who are passionately committed to preparing our students to be leaders in the global community. We will inspire investment in a Suffolk community that is built on ethical, forward-thinking leadership, teamwork, and cooperation.
We compete for the best talent. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse community. We are actively seeking applicants from groups that might be under-represented because of race/color, gender, religion, real or perceived disability, national origin or LGBTQ status. As part of our commitment we encourage you to complete the demographic portion of the application in addition to submitting your cover letter and resume/CV as it will assist us in targeting our recruitment efforts.Please note that Suffolk University conducts background checks as a condition of employment.
We are also committed to the well-being of our employees. Our terrific benefits package for benefits-eligible positions include, but are not limited to:
- Generous paid time-off programs and commitment to work-life balance
- Tuition free course benefits in the College of Arts and Sciences and in the Sawyer Business School for employees with additional tuition benefits for spouses, domestic partners, and children
- Top-notch well-being care available through Harvard Pilgrim Medical/Delta Dental and a Flexible Spending Account
- Pre-tax commuter benefit
- Employee Assistance Program that provides employees and their family members with initial assessment, referrals and short-term counseling for personal and work challenges
- Discounted home and auto insurance
At Suffolk University we are driven by the power of education, inclusion, and engagement to change lives and positively impact communities. Committed to excellence, we provide students with experiential and transformational learning opportunities that begin in the center of Boston, reach across the globe, and lead to extraordinary outcomes for our graduates. Suffolk University draws its energy from the vibrant urban heart of Boston, with its spectrum of cultures, customs, values, and expression, and from the rest of the world, in the places our students and faculty call home. It’s the ideal foundation upon which to build a truly diverse university community.
Suffolk University is seeking a dynamic Admission Counselor to join our team. Reporting to the Managing Associate Director of Admission, this position works as part of an admissions unit responsible for the recruitment and admission of undergraduate students. The candidate will help guide prospective students and families through the steps to enrollment, and be involved in a range of virtual and on/off-campus recruitment activities including school visits, college fairs, transfer programs, counselor meetings and applicant interviews. The candidate will also review and evaluate admission applications, and be an integral member of our social media strategy team. If you’re passionate about helping students and value the importance of our historical mission of access, opportunity, and inclusion, then we welcome your application for this position.
% of Time
50% Represent the University both virtually and in-person at college fairs, secondary schools, and community colleges. Travel/recruit approximately 10-12 weeks between the fall and spring semesters. Conduct virtual and on/off-campus interviews with students and families as requested. Demonstrated understanding of Suffolk University’s mission, commitment to diversity and inclusion, and how our urban location presents a unique opportunity for prospective students. Candidates must be able to think strategically about their recruitment market and take a creative and data-driven approach to increase enrollment.
40% Responsible for the timely and accurate evaluation of approximately 600-800 freshman applicants, and issuing admission decisions and rankings for honors consideration or special financial aid merit programs. Counsels applicants, their families, school counselors, and advisors on Suffolk University’s admission policies and procedures.
5% Help coordinate and implement applicant yield activities such as area receptions and Suffolk Showcase. Assist the Welcome Center in conducting virtual and on-campus information sessions and programming for students and families.
5% Serve on the social media strategy team and work collaboratively with the Office of Marketing and Communications to enhance our online marketing efforts. This includes, but is not limited to, managing our Facebook pages for admitted students and their families, timely content creation for the admissions Instagram and
Twitter pages and track/analyze/report on campaign progress.
Will be assigned other project and liaison work as needed.
• At least one year of experience in recruitment and admission, preferred.
• Bachelor’s Degree Required
• Strong written and verbal communication skills - ability to speak publicly in front of small and large audiences.
• Bilingual candidate preferred, but not required.
• Experience working with students and families from underrepresented populations
• Strong creativity and innovation; willingness to try new approaches to achieve desired objectives.
• Strong time management, attention to detail, and ability to meet strict, frequent deadlines in a fast-paced environment
• Proficiency with technology including Word, Excel, CRM systems (preferably Slate), social media, Zoom, WebEx, Google Meet, Microsoft Teams, etc.
• Ability to engage and network with prospective applicants, families, transfer advisors, and secondary school counselors.
• Ability to work a rigorous schedule and flexible hours with some evening and weekend work.
• Ability and comfort with traveling for recruitment in the fall and spring months, including yield events.
• Must have at least two years of driving experience and have a valid driver’s license from the U.S. or U.S. Territories; must submit to an annual driver record check and maintain an acceptable driving record per university and/or insurance carrier requirements; must complete the University driver safety training within 60 days of hire and additional driver training as needed.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team on group projects.
Suffolk University does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age, genetic information, or status as a veteran in admission to, access to, treatment in, or employment in its programs, activities, or employment. Suffolk University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. The University is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse and inclusive faculty and staff that reflect the broad range of human experience who contribute to the robust exchange of ideas on campus, and who are committed to teaching and working in a diverse environment. We strongly encourage applications from groups historically marginalized or underrepresented because of race/color, gender, religious creed, disability, national origin, veteran status or LGBTQ status. Suffolk University is especially interested in candidates who, through their training, service and experience, will contribute to the diversity and excellence of the University community.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Boston
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Boston
- Affirmative Action & Equal Opportunity Not specified Full Time jobs in Boston
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Boston
- Admissions, Enrollment, Retention & Registrar Not specified Full Time jobs in Boston