Tenure-Track Assistant Professor/Program Coordinator: Visual and Performing Arts
Nestled in the heart of Sussex County, New Jersey, Sussex County Community College is a gem in the highlands region of New Jersey’s rolling hills, forests, agriculture, and tranquil ponds. Over its young history the College has grown in its enrollment, academic and career programs, and facilities. Sussex County Community College offers many of the amenities and advantages of a large institution combined with the unique benefits of a smaller college. Our class sizes are modest, giving faculty the opportunity to deliver a quality and personalized education where they can get to know their students. Our faculty and staff dedicate themselves to the educational enterprise, scholarly activity, and to cultivating free thought.
Sussex County Community College has commenced a search for our next Program Coordinator/Assistant Professor of Visual and Performing Arts. This full-time, tenure-track position is a leadership role in the Department Visual and Performing Arts and collaborates with both the Dean of Arts and Humanities and other department members. As a member of the full-time faculty, this individual is responsible to follow all guidelines and responsibilities as outlined in the full-time faculty federation contract and in the faculty handbook. They will also have oversight of the SCCC Galleries, working directly with the Gallery Coordinator, and will provide support and oversight to the Art and Design Clubs, and to student organizations on campus.
SCCC is seeking an individual who is a recognized and credentialed content expert and scholar in these areas. The successful candidate must possess a deep concern for others and the contributions they make to an organization, and in cultivating a culture of respect through their skills, abilities, and disposition. They must also possess a deep appreciation, understanding, tolerance, and commitment to free speech (for everyone) and diversity within an academic setting.
Essential to the success of this position is the following: (1) meeting the best outcomes for students in pedagogy/andragogy for both on-campus and by-distance courses, (2) developing, supporting, and implementing visual and performing arts curricula, (3) engaging in on-going curriculum development, (4) leading and executing class and program-level assessment, (5) participating in professional development and scholarly activity deserving of external peer review and acclaim, (6) implementing the college/departmental strategic plan, (7) volunteering service to the college, (8) providing community outreach and engagement, (9) engaging in student advisement and retention activities, (10) taking strong and meaningful steps in recruiting new students in the visual and performing arts programs and, (11) accepting leadership roles as needed by the College with willingness and competence.
The successful candidate for this position will have a strong demonstrated background in fine art and graphic design or 3D Computer Arts to successfully teach in these areas and oversee the lab spaces to make recommendations and complete record keeping, inventory, maintenance requests, and installation of software packages and hardware related to art, graphic design, 3D Computer Arts and Photography. They must also possess experience in oversight of, or meaningful involvement in, curriculum aspects and needs in the development of performing arts programming. This individual must also have a background in theater arts, or similar discipline, to support curriculum driven productions, and maintain community relationships and support as a leader of the Theater Advisory Committee.
This is a robust academic position, threaded with significant and integral administrative oversight and leadership responsibilities. Scholarly activity, without the publish-or-perish culture, is expected. Of paramount importance is the ability to actively recruit and retain students in their programs of oversight. The successful candidate will be skilled in working with a broad spectrum of students found in a community college environment, with emphasis on mentorship and retention. Interested candidates are strongly encouraged to follow the link provided to a fuller description of this position.
- Support the mission of the college and the department.
- Is a recognized and credentialed content expert in the field of fine art and graphic design, with sufficient experience and knowledge to teach in these areas and to provide leadership in all of the arts.
- Possess a deep concern for others and the contributions they make to an organization intentionally focusing on leading and developing a culture of “caring regard” at the college. Possess the skills, abilities and disposition that cultivates community.
- A deep appreciation, understanding, tolerance, and commitment to free speech and diversity in an academic organization.
- Ability to exercise good judgment concerning College policies and procedures.
- Proven record of scholarship/creative activity, teaching, service activities and achievements, and a desire to continue this record of achievement.
- Ability and temperament to provide review and intervention for student matters, including but not limited to, grade appeals and classroom management issues, which may emerge when assisting adjunct faculty members navigating issues with their own students.
- Complete credentialing requirements for adjunct faculty in their area of oversight
- Demonstrated excellence in fine art and graphic design or 3D Computer Arts and the arts in general through gallery openings and/or portfolio.
- Possess expert knowledge in the operation of art and design computer programs and industry standard hardware and software. A desire and aptitude to remain current in the latest evolutions in the industry/industries.
- Ability and desire to teach art history, fine art, graphic design and “the arts” in general.
- Create a dynamic teaching and learning environment for the students that embraces innovation and scholarly reflection.
- Teach a variety of classes including day, evening and online/hybrid/remote classes.
- Ability and commitment to work with a broad spectrum of students found in a community college environment with emphasis on student mentorship and retention.
- Contribute to departmental budget development and assists the Dean in implementation.
- Contribute to Department operations and department-expansion. Collaborate within the department as well as with cross-departmental initiatives.
- Ability and willingness to work with Administration on academic and accreditation matters.
- Contribute to Departmental budget development and assists the Dean in implementation.
- Participate in curriculum development.
- Participate in the assessment of programs/certificates in the arts
- Collaborate with faculty in the selection and ordering of all Department textbooks.
- Capability of oversight of the SCCC Galleries and working directly with the Gallery Coordinator.
- Provide support and oversight to the Art and Design Clubs and student organizations on campus.
- Per contractual guidelines, serve on college committees including the college governance process.
- Providing strong leadership and taking meaningful steps in recruiting new students into the visual and performing arts areas.
- Understanding that the college possesses managerial prerogative in the development of the teaching schedule and in determining the overall scheduling needs of the College.
- Passion for professional development of self and others
- Proficient at networking with community partners.
- Other duties as assigned
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE and ESSENTIAL SKILLS
- MFA in Visual Art or related field.
- 2 years of experience in academic instruction in a post-secondary environment
- Demonstrated experience as a fine artist, graphic designer or 3D Computer Artist professional and leader
- Ability to teach, develop, support and implement the Visual Arts curricula.
- Ability to teach, develop, support and implement the Performing Arts curricula
- Capability to develop curriculum, class assessments and assessments.
- Service to the college and building community relationships.
- Actively work with students for advisement and retention.
- Capability for strong leadership.
- Ability to communicate with supervisors/students/colleagues, including demonstration of effective verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience as a professional graphic design artist.
- Professional level knowledge of industry standard software and hardware for art and graphic design.
- Demonstrated effectiveness utilizing an online learning management system
- Demonstrated experience in theater arts
Please submit your cover letter and resume to HRresume@sussex.edu by July 15, 2021.
Sussex County Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Fredon Township
- Arts Tenured/Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Fredon Township
- Design & Graphic Arts Tenured/Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Fredon Township
- Performing Arts Tenured/Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Fredon Township