Student Services Specialist
Student Services Specialist
North Carolina Central University
Closing Date: 6/14/2021 at 11:55 PM
Primary Purpose of Position:
The primary purpose of this position is to counsel students, parents and the public concerning the entire range of financial aid programs. The responsibilities of this position include determining student eligibility, advising students and parents of specific financial aid opportunities and responding to correspondence. The candidate will be expected to understand and apply federal, state and university policies and procedures and must also possess a general knowledge of the Student BANNER system.
Bachelor’s degree; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
The successful candidate must possess a thorough knowledge of Federal financial aid regulations and programs, the need analysis process, financial aid packaging in an automated environment and the US Department of Education Title IV Delivery System; knowledge of automated financial aid database system and Electronic Data Exchange; knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access) Applications; The individual must be a dynamic, highly skilled financial aid professional. The successful candidate will provide guidance to students, parents, and prospective students regarding financial aid and other pertinent financial counseling; help the financial aid team surpass all expectations; and will participate in various activities promoting professional development.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
• Serves as primary point of contact for current and prospective students
• Counsels and advises students about financial aid eligibility, application procedures, aid programs, costs, and indebtedness
• Individualizes information to the particular needs and situations of the student
• Uses clear and understandable communication with students, parents, and potential students regarding financial aid counseling
• Assists students with estimating their educational expenses to calculate their needs for the year, and preparing a financial plan
• Conducts verification review for selected students according to federal regulations
• Reviews and ensures student aid awards are accurate for designated advising group
• Notifies students of changes in eligibility of awards and alternatives to amend the situation
• Uses enhanced internal and external communication systems to inform students and parents about financial aid awards and department’s policies and procedures
• Ensures compliance with all financial aid policies, procedures and regulations when reviewing financial aid applications; exercise judgment when interpreting federal and state regulations for specific student situations
• Participates with presentations of financial aid related issues
• Assists the director of financial aid in reviews and reports to ensure compliance of department with regulations
• Assists team members when necessary to enable the success of the department.
• Knowledge of Federal Title IV awards and regulations as well as FERPA.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Exceptional customer service orientation
• Exceptional oral and written communication skills. Must be able to communicate sensitive and/or complex information in a confidential and straightforward manner
Must be a creative problem solver
• Proficient user of Microsoft Office and experienced in financial database systems
• Must possess a high level of accuracy, self-motivation, strong attention to detail, and the ability to handle a heavy workload
• Familiarity with academic environment, policies and procedures
• Excellent organizational skills with the ability to organize and prioritize multiple complex projects and tasks simultaneously
• Demonstrated service aptitude and ability to work independently as well as with students, parents, and colleagues.
• Must be willing to work additional hours when necessary.
Banner and NextGen/Dynamic Forms experience preferred
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For employment/re-employment priority, this vacancy is treated as Pay Plan Conversion GN07.
This is re-advertisement. Previous applicants will be considered and need not reapply.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://jobs.nccu.edu/
North Carolina Central University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.