Manager, Academic Budget and Operations
Manager, Academic Budget and Operations
As a member of the Vice President for Academic Affairs ( VPAA ) team, this position is responsible for managing and supporting the business operations for assigned academic or academic-reporting units. Currently, this position will be expected to balance time between Washburn University Institute of Technology ( WIT ) and other areas as assigned within academic affairs. This position is responsible for serving on the assigned leadership teams by preparing and overseeing the related budgets, supporting procurement, accounts payable, and reporting. This position works in collaboration and coordination among departments and across central University functions.
Essential Job Functions of Position
• Understand and comply with all Washburn University policies, regulations, and procedures about budgeting, purchasing, accounting, and inventory control.
• Collect, collate, analyze, and interpret financial data to monitor and track revenues and expenditures for multiple funding streams at Washburn University and/or Washburn Tech involving budgeted, endowed, restricted, and unrestricted funds provided by the University and/or Washburn University Foundation.
• Oversee the budgets and accurate reporting of all grant fund expenditures for assigned areas on a timely basis.
• Track budget administration policies and procedures, focusing on salary planning, office overhead, reconciliations, and expenses to provide recommendations to the assigned Dean(s) and Director(s), Academic Planning and Budget Officer, and the University Budget Office.
• Monitor budget activity, including respective warehouse inventory levels, to remain apprised of expenditures, concerns, and issues with each area. Work with stakeholders as needed to resolve issues as they develop.
• Coordinate capital, other equipment, and technology requests for the annual budget process.
• Develop financial documents ranging from simple schedules to financial statement drafts to report and reflect financial information for assigned areas.
• Collaborate with the VPAA office, the University Budget Office, and assigned Dean(s), Director(s) to prepare the annual operating budgets.
• Supervise WIT business office employees in the facilitation of day-to-day operations, including accounts payable/receivable, bookkeeping, and cashier operations.
• Performs additional job-related duties as assigned or as appropriate.
Non-Essential Job Functions of Position
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree and five years of related experience in higher education or other complex organizational structure, OR graduate coursework in business/public or higher education administration, organizational leadership/management and three years of related experience in higher education or other complex organizational structure, OR a combination of relevant education and related work experience equivalent to a bachelor’s degree and five years of experience.
Consulting or public accounting work experience
Seven years related experience in higher education
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
The position requires attention to detail, data analysis and reporting, writing, and research skills.
Ability to prioritize and follow through on multiple tasks while maintaining a high degree of accuracy and speed.
Highly effective analytical, critical appraisal, problem-solving and organizational skills.
Advanced Excel skills.
Experience with database applications.
Ability to work successfully as part of a team.
Effective interpersonal, conflict resolution, communication, and consultation skills.
Licenses, Certifications & Registrations
Additional Requirements (e.g. Physical Demands)
Campus Security Authority
Special Instructions to Applicant
Mid $60,000's to low $70,000's
Regular Business Hours
Average Hours per Week
Months per Year
Washburn is dedicated to providing a student-centered and teaching focused academic environment and a curriculum that engages the diversity of human experience across the globe. We seek candidates who are committed to Washburn’s efforts to create a climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented in higher education. Application materials should clearly articulate how the candidate will contribute to the University’s commitment to diversity and inclusion through their teaching, research, and/or service.
Washburn University is an EOE . Washburn University provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status, or marital or parental status.
Background Check Required?
Driving History Checked?
Drug Screen Required?
Anticipated Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
For earliest consideration apply by
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled?
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a: bachelor’s degree and five years of related
experience in higher education or other complex organizational
structure, OR graduate coursework in business/public or higher
education administration, organizational leadership/management, and
three years of related experience in higher education or other
complex organizational structure, OR a combination of relevant
education and related work experience equivalent to a bachelor's
degree and five years of experience? Select one answer below.
- Yes, I have a bachelor’s degree and five years of related experience in higher education or other complex organizational structure
- Yes, I have graduate coursework in business/public or higher education administration, organizational leadership/management, and three years of related experience in higher education or other complex organizational structure
- Yes, I have a combination of relevant education and related work experience equivalent to a bachelor's degree and five years of experience
- * Do you have previous consulting or public accounting
- Cover Letter
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Topeka
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Topeka
- Adult & Continuing Education Programs Not specified Full Time jobs in Topeka
- Other Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Topeka
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Topeka