Extension Specialist/Assistant Professor
Extension Specialist/Assistant Professor
Job Description Summary
Position: Assistant Professor, tenure track, 12-month appointment — 95% Extension and 5% Service in Personal Financial Management and Workforce Development. This position is housed in the Department of Consumer and Design Sciences in the College of Human Sciences. It is designed to assist the College of Human Sciences and the Alabama Cooperative Extension System ( ACES ) in equipping Alabama’s citizenry with knowledge, skills, and tools necessary to make sound financial and workforce decisions to improve the economic stability and viability of Alabama families.
Responsibilities: Provide strategic and inclusive leadership to the Personal Financial Management and Workforce Development ( PFMWD ) priority program team of the Alabama Cooperative Extension Service ( ACES ). Responsibilities include:
• Lead planning, development, implementation, and evaluation of innovative evidence-based programs and applied research.
• Train, collaborate with, and support the team of Regional Extension Agents (REAs) to implement, evaluate, and report impacts on the practical information and technical instruction that they provide to individuals and families in communities throughout Alabama.
• Identify, develop, and deliver educational tools (e.g., presentations, publications, videos, and website information), which are grounded in scientific research, to improve the financial security and employability skills for varied socioeconomic and age groups.
• Design and undertake evidence-based Extension and applied research projects that engage and involve client groups, stakeholders, and whole communities to improve their quality of life.
• Establish and maintain a strong, extramurally funded Extension and applied research program.
• Disseminate PFMWD programming and research scholarship through journals and conference presentations and seek recognition of excellence in programming.
• Participate in and assist PFMWD program team in development of annual plans of work and federal reporting.
• Collaborate with Human Sciences faculty on interdisciplinary community programming.
• Engage Human Sciences students in development and delivery of educational tools and programs.
• Contribute to departmental, college, ACES, and professional service.
The Program: CADS houses three undergraduate majors and M.S. and Ph.D. graduate degrees. The newest undergraduate major is Philanthropy and Nonprofit Studies that incorporates financial planning coursework including the option of completing a Financial Management Certificate that prepares graduates to sit for the Certified Financial Planner® exam. The CADS Department has 17 full-time tenured/tenure track-faculty and 4 lecturers, 633 undergraduates, and 30 graduate students. Auburn University is a premier land-grant and R1 research institution located in the city of Auburn in east Alabama. It is a one-hour drive from Montgomery, two hours from Birmingham, one and a half hours from the Atlanta airport, and four hours from the Gulf. It has consistently been ranked by US News and World Report as one of the top 50 public universities in the U.S. For more information, please see http://humsci.auburn.edu/cads/ and http://www.auburn.edu/academic/provost/facultyjobs/. Auburn University is understanding and sensitive to the needs of faculty, including dual-career couples.
Start Date: Position is available with start date of August 1, 2021.
• PhD in personal or family financial management or related field required. ABD considered with faculty appointment at lecturer or instructor level if doctorate not completed by start date.
• Must be able to meet eligibility requirements for work in the United States at the time appointment is scheduled to begin and continue working legally for the proposed term of the appointment.
• Must be fluent in English and must possess excellent written and interpersonal communication skills.
• Previous experience in Extension or community-related work; demonstrated experience in program development, delivery, and evaluation.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate, interact and collaborate with colleagues, state officials, stakeholders, community leaders, and clientele.
• Ability to conduct effective community-based stakeholder engagement, needs assessment, and educational programming.
• Strong promise in building a record of scholarship, grantsmanship, and multi-disciplinary collaborations.
• Experience in planning programs for diverse audiences.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Provide application letter; complete CV; transcripts from all universities attended; a narrative of community/ Extension, research, and educational experience; a philosophy statement on Extension scholarship in the 21st century; three professional references (names, addresses, and phone numbers). Only complete online applications will be considered for review beginning June 18, 2021, and continuing until a candidate is selected. For more information, please contact: Jennifer Kerpelman, Search Committee Chair firstname.lastname@example.org / (334) 844-3791
Open Until Filled
References required for this position?
If yes, minimum number requested
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Public Job Posting (auemployment.com site)
- Academic Conference
- Agency Referral
- Internal Job Posting
- Personal Referral
- Veterans Assistance Services (Veteran Job Boards, Military Base Services, State Vet Rep, etc.)
- Disability Assistance Services (Disability Job Boards, ABLE Network, Voc-Rehab referral, etc.)
- * Please enter the specifics of the option you selected
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Extension/Outreach Philosophy
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Auburn
- Social & Behavioral Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Auburn
- Home Economics & Consumer Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Auburn
- Human Development & Family Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Auburn
- Other Social & Behavioral Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Auburn