Duties and Responsibilities
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Responsible for recording complete set of records of all financial transactions of the institution and insuring the daily financial transactions of the College are processed in an accurately and timely manner.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for requesting payment on requisitions and preparing check release.
- Input all check requests into system. Verification of coding, item numbers, and check amounts.
- Generate issue and record all system checks. Sort checks: separate, distribution of check copies as required. Generate check register, by vendor number and verify the summary of the register.
- Record all general journal vouchers, adjusting journal entries, cash entries, and void check vouchers to the general ledger with appropriate number sequence while keeping a manual ledger of copies of all checks and vouchers for all funds.
- Assists other accounting clerks in their duties and serve as backup for other clerks as needed.
- Assists the accountants in month-end closing process. Opens all incoming mail for accounts payable and keeps record of receiving date.
- Receives purchase orders from Purchasing Office and keeps a filing system for all purchase order for all funds. Cancel closed Purchase Orders at month-end.
- Verifies receiving reports and compares them with invoice and purchase order for payment processing. Ensures proper support documentation is received before processing payment.
- Prepares weekly listing of closed purchase orders to send to Central Receiving clerk.
- Periodically reviews current open purchase order file and report discrepancies to the Purchasing Department. Prepares general journal vouchers when adjustments to accounts are needed.
- Responsible for the timely payment of requisitions and purchase orders submitted by departments. Clarifies discrepancies with accountant when invoices and purchase order do not match.
- Sends speed memorandums to departments periodically to verify that merchandise is received.
- Assists accountants in year-end 1099 preparation. Responsible for issuing W-9 forms for each new vendor and to flag all vendors.
- Prepare disbursements for Small Purchase Orders submitted by department for payments.
- Works closely with central receiving department to verify Purchase Order information for accuracy.
- Prepare fuploads to record monthly distribution of departmental postage, media center, copier, and print shop charges.
- Prepare check request for monthly utilities bill and prepares accrual entries for all utilities on a monthly basis.
- Provide technical assistance to the Director of Accounting/Accountants in the area of vendor analysis and purchase order status.
- Check daily batch transactions report for errors.
- Serves as the primary backup for the Office Manager position. Primary backup for all incoming calls.
- Research processing problems, contact departments, and accountant to resolve problems and payments.
- Collaborate with information technology department when invalid accounts appear on phone bill. Alert the Information Technology department when unauthorized calls appear on long distance bill. Send bills to departments to verify calls.
- Assist with year-end audit postings.
- Make and distribute copies of all cash entries and general journal vouchers to Accountants.
- Assist Director of Accounting, Restricted Grants Manager and Accountants with clerical duties.
- Update continuously the Accounting Procedures Manual for areas of responsibility.
- Performs all duties with utmost confidentiality.
NOTICE: Required Documents
To be considered for this position, you are required to upload your high school diploma or unofficial transcript or GED certificate. If recommended for this position an official transcript(s) will be required. If a license or certificate is required for this position, upload proof of your current license/certificate.
- High School graduate or equivalent and at least two years of
college level courses preferably in the accounting field.
- Two (2) year experience working in an accounting environment
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proficient in clerical skills and use of office machines.
- Skilled in the use of computer such as Word, Excel spreadsheet;
office machines; and mainframe applications.
- Must be able to follow standard office procedures.
- Must be able to work with other LC departmental personnel as
well as division staff.
- Must be able to take direction from a variety of
- Must be able to communicate effectively.
- Must be able to work other than regular hours.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit.
The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, or crouch.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move items weighing up to 50 pounds.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed in a standard office environment.
Work-inside a well-lighted and air-conditioned area most of the time.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
Required to work safely and follow safety rules.
Report unsafe working conditions and behavior.
Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
Immediate supervisor may assign other duties.
May be required to work outside regular working hours, as needed.
May be required to work at a different college work site or campus as needed.
In compliance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Executive Order 11246 and Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Laredo College is open to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, or national origin who are otherwise eligible for admission as students. Furthermore, Laredo College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and no applicant or employee will be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability or national origin. This institution will not enter knowingly into any contractual agreement for services or supplies with any firm failing to follow fair employment practices.
1pt;margin-left:0in;'> Foreign degrees require an evaluation for United States equivalency from an approved stated education agency or having membership with the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). Transcripts issued outside the United States of America require a course-by-course analysis with an equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached to your online application at the time of applying. For your convenience, we have provided the following links to assist you in complying with this requirement. However, you may use any other certified transcript evaluation service. http://tea.texas.gov/Texas_Educators/Certification/Out-of-State_Certification/Foreign_Credential_Evaluation_Services/ http://www.naces.org/members.htm
Disclaimer The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. LC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by LC as its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Laredo College offers a comprehensive benefit package.To read more about our Benefits, please visit this page on our College website
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Laredo
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Laredo
- Business & Administrative Support Not specified Full Time jobs in Laredo
- Financial Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Laredo
- Auxiliary Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Laredo