Accounting Associate IV, Associated Students of the University of Montana (ASUM)
Associated Students of the University of Montana (ASUM) invites applications for an Accounting Associate IV to join their team. The employee assigned to this role will be expected to assist the ASUM Executives, ASUM Senate and ASUM student groups and ASUM Agencies.
Expectations and responsibilities associated with the role are as follows:
- Examine, analyze, and interpret diverse accounting and financial records within multiple funding and organizational areas for the purpose of finalizing transactions, forecasting, giving guidance, ensuring compliance, and preparing and finalizing statements and reports begun by others. Develop and implement systems for recording costs, inventory, fund balance reports or other financial and budgetary data.
- Identify trends and provide creative alternatives and recommendations to improve financial performance and to serve students in the best way possible
- Provide oversight and assure accuracy to the annual budgetary process for ASUM student groups and agencies, which have a combined income and related expenses in excess of $3 million
- Responsible for initiating purchasing & procurement, contracted services, and lease negotiations on behalf of ASI-JM and the ASI-JM Agencies; then prepares necessary paperwork for bids, major purchases, leases and contracted services in GrizMart
- Track, record and reconcile UM Foundation deposits, withdrawals and fund balance for more than 30 ASUM student groups and agencies. Preparation of appropriate documents for UM Foundation deposits and withdrawals.
- Monitor and spot audit for compliance the accounting and financial records for more than 100 ASUM recognized student groups, ASUM Transportation, ASUM Legal Services, ASUM Childcare, OffCampus Renter Center, KBGA Radio, Montana Kaimin and ASUM Administration
- Serve as the department liaison for a variety of UM departments, such as Human Resources, Business Services, Budget Office, Transportation Services, Facilities Services, Missoula Event Services, University Center Administration, Telecommunications Services, Internal Audit and numerous academic departments with student group collaborative activities
- Attending weekly meetings and retreats as needed. Some retreat planning may be required.
- The position will act as an advisor in the capacity of event planning, risk management, problem solving and business practices for KBGA College Radio. This shall include attending weekly meetings and retreats as needed.
- Act as the Departmental Pro Card Administrator; verify and code charges, approve receipts, ensure compliance and monitor for fraudulent transactions.
- Act as the Co-Personnel Supervisor for ASUM
- Compose and/or assist in the composition of annual performance review evaluations, career ladders, in-range progression, strategic pay, lump sum bonus options, role descriptions and termination documents
- Organize search committees, create timelines for hiring committees, prepare and submit hiring documents required by HRS (RAF, interview questions, justifications for interview selection and hiring, reference checks and final offers to candidate)
- Maintains departmental rosters for staff, students and contract professionals; collect and submit to HRS the required hiring forms (I-9, W-4, Selective Service, Workers Comp, Direct Deposits, Personal Information, ACA acknowledgement), enter time cards for bi-weekly and student payrolls into GTO and enters EPAF transactions into Cyberbear. Collect, approve and submit monthly rosters for Contracted and LOA staff
- Arrange for transportation and accommodations for University-related travel, complete travel forms for students and staff
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills
- Must have the ability to work with a large and diverse population of college students who change on a yearly basis and to interact in a positive manner
- Must have the ability to be adaptable to change and an annual turnover of student staff
- Requires an extensive knowledge of the principles and practices of accounting (GAAP), budgeting and financial administration, including balance sheet, trial balance, operating statements, payroll, adjustments, accruals, inventory, depreciation and allowances, audit practices. Must perform a variety of detailed accounting activities ensuring a high degree of accuracy.
- Knowledge and experience managing large, complex and diverse budgets
- Knowledge of or ability to learn State of Montana fiscal policies and procedures, ASUM fiscal policies and procedures, (i.e. purchasing rules, contracted services, cash handling, intra-agency transactions)
- Advanced skill with Excel and intermediate skills for Microsoft Office software applications, as well as the ability to gain an understanding of UMDW, Banner Finance, GTO, GrizMart, Cyberbear, and U-Approve
- Ability to track data and communicate financial information and procedures in a clear and concise manner to college students and colleagues
- Ability to use basic office equipment (copier, scanner, fax machine, telephone)
- Knowledge of or ability to learn best practices commonly associated with Human Resources Management. These include: EOO hiring practices; ability to prepare annual employee evaluations, recruitment forms, interview questions, justification and hiring documents; write job descriptions; research and offer solutions for recruitment, hiring and retention of employees; conduct investigation and follow through into disciplinary problems and actions; maintain employment records; act as a personnel resource for other ASUM employees and managers.
Minimum Required Experience
- High School diploma and four (4) years’ of directly related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Bachelors degree in finance, accounting, or a related field
About ASUM and UM
The Associated Students of the University of Montana (ASUM) provides services to enhance the student experience, advocates for the rights of all University of Montana (UM) students as a unified body, and builds a system of trust and transparency among students, faculty, and staff. ASUM works to benefit the diverse UM student population and address their concerns. ASUM informs and connects the student body and the greater community at the local, state, and national level through agency services, student group support, and community outreach.
The University of Montana is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and has a student body of approximately 10,000 undergraduates and graduates, including more than 1,500 students of color and more than 900 international students and scholars from more than 70 countries. We encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disability preference in accordance with state law.
Nestled in at the base of Mount Sentinel and on the banks of the Clark Fork River, UM campus is described as one of the most beautiful in the US. The region boasts unparalleled year around recreational opportunities and a vibrant arts and culture community. UM offers a unique opportunity for professional growth in a magnificent environment. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
Position Title: Accounting Associate IV
Position Number: 420500
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, 12 months/year.
Salary: $17.94/hr .
Union Affiliation: NONE
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include : Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Application Deadline: Sunday , June 20, 2021 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Candidates are required to submit the following materials online.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references
- Supplemental Question - "Why are you the best candidate for the job?"
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Accounting & Finance Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner