Administrative Specialist I - History and Criminal Justice
Posting Number C00108P Quick Link for Position https://jobs.uafs.edu/postings/1872 Working Title Administrative Specialist I - History and Criminal Justice Position Number Department Criminal Justice About the University
For more than 6,000 students each semester, the University of Arkansas – Fort Smith offers a dynamic and diverse learning community with a student-centered approach focused on the success of the individual. Small class sizes combine with innovative, hands-on learning and research experiences alongside expert faculty to ensure students receive a future-focused education at the most affordable tuition rate in the state. The university has undergone significant changes since its founding in 1928 and now offers 51 bachelor’s and associate degrees, two master’s degrees, and 36 certificate programs, all aimed at preparing students for success in the global workforce. UAFS is one of 21 academic institutions and affiliates governed by the University of Arkansas System.
The second-largest city in the state, Fort Smith is located on the Arkansas-Oklahoma border in the heart of the Arkansas River Valley. Established in 1817 as a frontier military post, Fort Smith is now a vibrant and growing city featuring a variety of cultural activities and entertainment options, including a thriving downtown arts and entertainment district. Outdoors enthusiasts will appreciate the Natural State’s plentiful trails, mountains, forests, parks, and waterways, both within city limits and throughout the surrounding area. The city is also within easy driving distance of Tulsa, Kansas City, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Little Rock, and Memphis.
The UAFS campus is comprised of 77 buildings and facilities located on 170 beautifully manicured acres and crowned with the Donald W. Reynolds Campus Plaza, Tower, and Campus Green. Students who choose to live on campus may do so in one of two residence hall complexes, complete with a full-service dining center, or the on-campus apartment complex for married students and upperclassmen. Campus involvement is encouraged by participation in more than 100 registered student organizations, which includes academic societies, a dynamic Greek life system, intramural sports, and cultural/special interest groups. The UAFS Lions compete in NCAA Division II Lonestar Conference in men’s baseball, women’s volleyball, and men’s and women’s basketball, golf, cross country, and tennis.
About the College / Department Position Summary
The Administrative Specialist I will provide administrative support in the Departments of History and Criminal Justice. The position reports to Chairs of History and Criminal Justice.
Summary of Job Duties
• Administrative support – Departments of History and Criminal Justice.
• Enter course schedule information into UAFS database/Banner.
• Prepare textbook orders; arrange desk copies, other book adoptions matters as assigned.
• Maintain knowledge of current college and university policies and procedures.
• Perform miscellaneous clerical and administrative support tasks to assist the department head, such as sending out departmental memos and reminders.
• Prepare and process requisitions and other financial documents, such as request to pay forms. This includes relevant paperwork concerning university travel.
• Manage the department head’s calendar.
• Assist in maintaining, tracking, and reporting on the departmental budget.
• Attend training on various aspects of the job, such as using the university travel software, when requested.
• Prepare travel arrangements, travel requests, and travel reimbursements using Chrome River.
• Serve as a contact for students who are trying to locate classes or their professors’ offices by phone and/or posting signs on classrooms & offices.
• Prepare supply orders and purchase supplies.
• Maintain office equipment and supplies.
• Order purchasing for the departmental approved by the department head.
• Answer and direct incoming calls.
• Enter Service Now requests to update, fix, or maintain departmental facilities or in support of faculty office moves.
• Maintain records.
• Prepare duplication tasks per request.
• Conduct annual inventory of equipment.
• Other duties as assigned.
Minimum qualifications include a high school diploma or equivalent, plus one year of specialized training and/or experience in a related clerical field.
License(s)/Certifications Preferred Qualifications
Associate degree in a related field and/or experience in a higher-education environment is preferred. Other job related education and/or experience may be substituted for part of these requirements.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Ability to communicate effectively with students, faculty, and staff.
• Strong computer skills, including data entry, spreadsheet, and word processing programs.
• Ability to learn new tasks quickly and to request help and training when confronted with new tasks.
• Strong phone etiquette skills.
• Ability to handle confidential material with absolute discretion.
• Ability to function successfully within a complex and potentially stressful environment while maintaining accuracy and attention to detail.
• Professional demeanor.
• Ability to edit for grammar, correctness, style, and audience.
• Knowledge of general office procedures.
• Ability to operate standard office equipment.
• Ability to extract and organize information.
• Ability to multitask and prioritize.
• Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
Special Job Dimensions
Work performed primarily in an office setting. While performing the duties of this job, employee regularly exhibits digital dexterity when entering data into computer, sits for extended periods of time, and occasionally stands and walks. Vision demands include close, relatively detailed vision when focusing on a computer screen. Employee regularly talks and hears. Employee occasionally lifts items up to ten (10) pounds.
Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Extended hours occasionally required.
Salary $22,433 Benefits
Competitive benefits package.
Background Check / Pre-Employment Screening
This position may be subject to a pre-employment criminal background check, sex offender registry check, financial history background check, and/or drug screening. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication and/or adverse financial history alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background checks and drug screening information will be used in a confidential, non- discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Does this position require a background check? Criminal Background Check and Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) Check
Open Date 06/04/2021 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, please apply by June 21, 2021.
Anticipated start date EEO Statement
The University of Arkansas – Fort Smith is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, dedicated to attracting and supporting diverse student, faculty, and staff populations. The University welcomes applications without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial College Transcripts
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you understand that failure to complete the Employment
History section of the application will result in automatic
- * Did you complete the Employment History section of the
- * Do you have experience working in an office environment?
- * Have you ever been fired or asked to resign from a job?
- If yes, please describe.
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you learn of this employment opportunity?
(Open Ended Question)
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Humanities Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- History Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith