Executive Director of Student Financial Services
Executive Director of Student Financial Services
Student Financial Services
The Executive Director of Student Financial Services reports directly to the Vice President of Enrollment Management and University Communications and leads a team of more than 25 financial aid professionals. This position is responsible for the administration and management of the financial aid office and its functions, including but not limited to:
- Strategic, compliant packaging and delivery of university, federal and state aid programs
- Strong communication with students, families, faculty, and staff
- Implementation of regular training and best practices
- Support of the overall student service, admission, and retention goals of the University
The Executive Director directly supervises a staff of two directors and two clerical staff positions and brings substantive financial aid leadership to the University. In addition, the Executive Director will serve as an effective and collegial campus collaborator within the Adelphi campus community.
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Enrollment Management and University Communications
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
Strategic Distribution of Financial Aid:
- Management and distribution of 80+ million in institutional aid to undergraduates and graduates.
- Responsible for packaging strategies that maximize net revenue, control discount, and balancing institutional goals while ensuring an appropriately unbiased awarding process.
- Administration of federal and state programs and funding.
- Allocation of restricted and endowed funds to promote affordability, enrollment, and retention.
Federal, State, and Institutional Compliance:
- Serve as the chief financial aid compliance officer ensuring accurate reporting and full compliance with all regulations, laws, and institutional policies for aid programs.
- Relay any potential impact to the University based on proposed aid and final regulatory changes.
- Research, develop, and implement operational policies that promote efficiency while ensuring proper quality controls and regulatory compliance.
- Conduct Federal (FISAP), State, and Institutional reporting.
- Complete federal Program Participation Agreements (PPA).
- Respond to internal and external audits in a timely and organized fashion, maintaining the University's history of clean, accurate results.
- Oversee the NCAA and other government software/web-based products as they relate to aid.
- Collaborate with Institutional Advancement staff on the policies governing the awarding of restricted and endowed funds.
Student Services and Campus Collaboration:
- Implementation and maintenance of robust communication plan with all constituent groups including but not limited to prospective students, current students, parents and families, and faculty/staff.
- Build and maintain a proactive culture of counseling students and building financial literacy throughout the Adelphi community.
- Ensure an efficient schedule that addresses the timely management of incomplete files, verification files, and appeals files.
- Monitor the timely processing of all financial aid applications.
- Create and maintain campus partnerships with all faculty, staff, and general offices that interact with students and financial aid regulations including but not limited to University Admissions, Academic Advising, and University Registrar.
- Identify and streamline operations between core continuing enrollment divisions including University Registrar, Student Account Services, Cashiers & Billing, and Student Financial Services.
Technology & General Administrative Duties:
- Serve as the University's resident expert on financial aid industry trends and policy/regulation updates, advising leadership and campus partners as needed.
- Manage prioritization of technical updates required for efficient and compliant operations.
- Partner with IT in the development of student and parent portal functionality related to financial aid.
- Streamline operations and introduce automation where possible.
- Improve workflows and management reports to drive efficient processing.
- Maintain a robust and accurate financial aid website.
- Supervise union and professional staff in excess of 25 employees.
- Participate in both on and off campus events.
- Take active role in staff development, mentorship, and regular training including annual performance evaluations of assigned staff.
- Update and maintain annual operational budget for Student Financial Services unit.
- Cross train admissions staff on financial aid standards and procedures, and educate other University partners as requested.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
CRITICAL COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESS:
- Operational and visionary leadership with a focus on efficiency and effectiveness.
- Relationship builder with an ability to develop internal and external relationships, mentor staff, and provide a high level of service across the University.
- Innovation and attention to detail, offering an assertiveness with a sensitivity to the values and expectations of others.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and compliance regulations of a modern day financial aid operation.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
REQUIREMENTS (Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities):
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Knowledge of working with a database and using data-driven management tactics.
- Highly developed organizational skills.
- Ability to work in fast paced, high volume environment.
- Proven leadership and supervisory skills.
- Experience working with students from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to work flexible evening and weekend hours, as needed.
- Bachelor's degree required, Master's degree preferred.
- Eight to ten years of progressive experience in financial aid/enrollment management.
- Prior supervisory experience required, including budget management.
- Demonstrated successful experience in modernizing and managing a student financial aid office.
- Experience redesigning policies and procedures and implementing new business practices in multiple unit areas simultaneously to improve student services required.
- Prior experience in improving technical systems and workflows across all areas of packaging, awarding, and student communication.
- Expert knowledge of policies, regulations, and practices for awarding financial aid, including needs analysis and packaging required.
- Direct supervision: 2 directors and 2 clerical staff.
- General leadership of a team of 25+ employees.
Adelphi University, New York, is a highly awarded, nationally ranked, powerfully connected doctoral research university dedicated to transforming students' lives through small classes with world-class faculty, hands-on learning and innovative ways to support academic and career success. Adelphi offers exceptional liberal arts and sciences programs and professional training, with particular strength in our Core Four—Arts and Humanities, STEM and Social Sciences, the Business and Education Professions, and Health and Wellness. Recognized as a Best College by U.S. News & World Report, Adelphi is Long Island's oldest private coeducational university, serving almost 8,000 students at its beautiful main campus in Garden City, at learning hubs in Manhattan, the Hudson Valley and Suffolk County, and online. The University offers more than 60 undergraduate programs, more than 65 master's degree and doctoral programs, and more than 35 certificate programs in the liberal arts, the sciences and professional training. With powerful partnerships throughout the New York area, more than 116,000 graduates across the country, a growing enrollment of students from 43 states and 64 countries, and rising rankings from top publications and organizations, Adelphi is a dynamic community that plays a leadership role on Long Island and in the region.
To apply, visit https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf02/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=ADELPHI&cws=39&rid=2557