Assistant Athletic Trainer
Assistant Athletic Trainer
Posting Number: R0003623
Location: Salem Campus
Attention Current Willamette University Employees: In order to apply for posted positions, please close this window and log into your Workday account and apply through the Career worklet.
Instructions for Applicants:
Please read the following carefully before beginning the online application process.
To be considered for employment at Willamette University, please complete our online employment application. Your application and all required attachments -- listed at the bottom of the page -- must be submitted for each individual job post that you are interested in applying for. If there is an application deadline, please ensure that your application is submitted by the deadline. Once you submit your application you will not be able to edit your application.
Works as a member of the Willamette University Sports Medicine team, responsible for providing athletic training services for varsity athletes, including injury assessment and management, rehabilitation and appropriate referral. Assists with the management of various administrative functions of the sports medicine center.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Works as a member of the Willamette University Sports Medicine team by providing high quality athletic
training services to both men's and women's intercollegiate sport teams.
● Provides medical services for student-athletes during practices and competitions, home and away,
throughout the academic year and vacation periods as necessary, including the provision of medical
care for visiting athletic teams and occasional neutral site competitions.
● Provides care to all student-athletes including prevention, evaluation, treatment and rehabilitation of
● Regularly communicates with the Head Athletic Trainer and coaches about the status of injured
athletes, working collaboratively to ensure player safety and well-being.
● Assists with and evaluates physical examinations and other medical qualification
procedures/documentation for students participating in athletics; monitors pre-existing health
conditions, as appropriate.
● Manages training room during the fall sport season when other trainers are working offsite.
● Maintains communication and coordinates care with the Bishop Wellness Center, PT Northwest, team
physicians, and outside care providers, as appropriate.
● Maintains clinical records and assures proper documentation of injuries and treatments, following all
university, NCAA, HIPPA, FERPA, and NATA guidelines and rules.
● Provides clinical supervision and mentoring for student athletic trainers, including counseling and
support for academic, social and/or athletic issues.
● Organizes and attends student seminars/orientations about relevant athletic health care topics,
including injury prevention, nutrition, sports psychology, and insurance.
● Participates in regularly scheduled University, division and department meetings.
● Follows and enforces all Willamette University, NCAA, and Northwest Conference medical policies and
● Maintains all required licensures and certificates and seeks additional opportunities to increase
technical competencies and professional knowledge.
● Performs other duties as assigned.
● Any combination of education, training, and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and
abilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
● Bachelor's degree in Exercise Science or related field required.
● Two years of experience as a certified athletic trainer, with preference for applicants who have
experience in a college or university setting.
● Requires strong interpersonal and communications skills.
● Ability to work during evening, weekend, vacation periods and occasional holidays.
● Ability to work independently as well as establish and maintain harmonious relations with other staff,
faculty and students.
● BOC certification, NATA membership, and registration with the Oregon Health Licensing Board required.
● Health Care Provider CPR/AED certification required prior to employment.
● Successful clearance of a criminal conviction record check.
● Master's degree
TYPICAL WORK SCHEDULE
Monday through Friday 10:00am - 7:00pm. Weekend and additional evening work necessitates flexibility in
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORKING CONDITIONS
Intermittent physical effort lifting, pushing, pulling up to 25 pounds required. Standing, reaching, bending while
providing care and modalities in treating student-athlete injuries.
Work involves a wide variety of situations as the incumbent performs complex duties and responsibilities in the
University's athletic and health-care efforts. Requires strong interpersonal and communications skills in order
to exchange information (often of a confidential nature) with physicians, fellow allied health-care professionals
and appropriate others both within and outside the University and may have a significant impact on the University's
reputation and operations. May require exposure to adverse environmental conditions such as noise, inclement
weather and other adversities as the incumbent performs duties and responsibilities in both indoor and
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as received until the position is filled.
All University positions require that candidates submit to a criminal conviction record check prior to hire. Conviction does not automatically preclude candidates from being hired. Nature of conviction will be considered relative to the duties of the position.
You will need to upload the following documents as part of your application materials in the "My Experience" section labeled Resume:
- Cover letter addressing the required/desired qualifications and
presenting any other applicant characteristics which deserve
- Current Resume
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Typical work schedule
Apply online at https://willamette.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/willametteuniversityjobs/job/Salem-Campus/Assistant-Athletic-Trainer_R0003623
Believing that diversity contributes to academic excellence and to rich and rewarding communities, WU is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body. We seek candidates, particularly those from historically under-represented groups, whose work furthers diversity and who bring to campus varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds.