Assistant Director - Career Development and College Relations
Career and Professional Development is a centralized office of 28 staff dedicated to educating and supporting students as they explore and choose academic majors and career options, obtain and reflect upon career-related experiences, develop professional presence and essential skills for workplace success, and launch post-graduation career plans, including graduate/professional school and employment. We are actively seeking individuals who will bring all forms of diversity to our staff and who will offer new ideas, unique perspectives, and positive energy.
This Assistant Director will serve as the liaison to the College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences. The Assistant Director serves as a member of a Career Development and College Relations Team. Team members will work together to serve students in designated Colleges. Liaisons are responsible for relationship building, communication, and programming efforts for their designated college, as well as advising students and delivering presentations. This Assistant Director will also serve as a federal employment advisor and coordinate office resources related to the graduate school application process.
This Assistant Director is a member of the Career Development and College Relations Team that primarily serves students in the Colleges of Liberal Arts & Human Sciences, Architecture & Urban Studies, and Engineering, as well as students in University Studies and the Graduate School. Team members will work with employers to understand the breadth and depth of experiential and post-graduation opportunities available for students interested in pursuing careers within the scope of the team.
- Serve as a liaison from Career and Professional Development to the College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences (CLAHS).
- Provide one-on-one advising (in person, through email, via telephone, Zoom etc.) to students in majors within the liaison role and team on topics such as selecting an academic major; choosing a career direction; developing a job search plan; interviewing (including conducting mock interviews); career-related experience (internships/co-op); writing effective resumes and cover letters; and researching companies and graduate schools.
- Develop and deliver presentations, workshops, and programs relevant to the College population on topics listed above.
- Serve as one of the office federal employment advisors, providing one-on-one advising to students interested in working with the federal government.
- Oversee resources and programming related to graduate school preparation.
- Lead and/or serve on task groups and assist with other initiatives as appropriate.
- Master’s degree in Higher Education Administration, Student Affairs, Counseling, or related field.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and teamwork skills.
- Experience as an engaged team member working collaboratively toward successful outcomes.
- Proven ability to develop strong external relationships.
- Demonstrated commitment to appreciating and valuing diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced work environment.
- Demonstrated ability to foster relationships among a diverse range of constituents including; students, faculty, staff, administrators, alumni, and employers.
- Significant experience providing career advising/coaching within a college/university setting.
- Experience with students and/or professionals in fields related to disciplines within the College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences.
- Familiarity with relevant career development theories such as: Holland, Happenstance, and Chaos Theory of Careers.
- Knowledge of personality theory.
- Experience with Clifton Strengths.
- Experience with a variety of vendor products for the career services field such as Handshake, TypeFocus, and CareerShift..
- Experience with the federal job search process.
$45,000 - $51,000
June 21, 2021
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Lisha Farrier at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: June 3, 2021
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Academic Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Academic Administration Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Alumni Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg