Dean of Arts and Sciences
Edward Waters College
Dean of Arts and Sciences
Edward Waters College in Jacksonville, Florida is seeking candidates for the position of Dean of Arts and Sciences. This is a full-time twelve-month position with an anticipated start date of July 1, 2021.
The Dean of Arts and Sciences is the intellectual and administrative leader of all academic programs of the College, and the chief advocate for the mission, vision, and purposes of the College’s academic programs. The Dean facilitates a spirit of collaborative leadership across the College to support student success, to promote and strengthen high-quality academic programs firmly rooted in the tradition of liberal, church-affiliated education, and to move the institution forward in its pursuit of quality, opportunity, equity, diversity, and inclusion. The Dean of Arts and Sciences will be expected to manage administrative functions for all academic departments, including setting strategic initiatives and participating in the College’s long-term planning and policy-setting. Additionally, the dean will provide senior-level administrative leadership in areas of curriculum development, institutional assessment and improvement, human resources, faculty development and performance appraisals, budget and finance, and facilities planning and management. The Dean of Arts and Sciences will verify the adequacy of instruction and monitor academic integrity and progress.
- Ability to foster a collaborative, inclusive, supportive, and collegial environment within the College.
- Ability to effectively listen, represent, and advocate for the arts and sciences, and for the values of liberal education.
- Intellectual curiosity and the ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with diverse constituencies across the arts and sciences disciplines, the College, and the external community.
- Leadership in institutional change to promote inclusion and success of all students, faculty, and staff.
- Knowledge of challenges and opportunities emerging for private, church-affiliated HBCUs and the ability to lead and manage within this changing environment.
- Experience developing, guiding, and implementing academic initiatives at the program or College level.
- Experience promoting student success through high-impact learning experiences, including student-faculty collaborative research and creative activity.
- Experience empowering and mentoring faculty and staff to foster their professional growth and engagement in College life.
- Success in developing external relations to help advance the College’s academic initiatives.
- Identifying and cultivating opportunities for external funding to enhance academic programs in the College.
- Experience soliciting, analyzing, and using data to make informed and ethically responsible decisions.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, managerial, and administrative skills, including experience with budgets and enrollments.
- Commitment to open, transparent, shared governance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Cultivating local, national, and global relationships and sources of support and working closely with the Office of Advancement to secure major gifts and to promote the image of the College and its programs.
- Fostering a highly collaborative and inclusive environment, one that values and leverages the benefits of diverse perspectives, to attract, recruit, and retain top faculty, staff, and students.
- Creating and implementing a student-centered vision and strategy that includes measurable outcomes for student success, through a process that engenders trust and includes faculty, staff, student, alumni, and industry.
- Leading faculty and staff to develop existing and nurture new academic and research programs that yield exceptional outcomes.
- Developing and implementing a recruitment and marketing plan that shows evidence of faculty and staff involvement, measurable annual goals for new students and for retention of students, and promoting collaboration with industry to develop and strengthen the program curricula to meet market needs.
- Creating professional development opportunities for faculty and staff to upgrade their expertise in the implementation of innovative pedagogy and andragogy, the use of technology, and the development of scholarship/creative expression within their discipline.
- Providing for structured, faculty-led curriculum reviews and updates that reflect standards and changes in the discipline; ensuring assessment plans are in place including production of annual reports on both internal student learning outcomes and program outcomes and ensuring continued certification and the establishment and maintenance of accreditation of degree programs.
- Strengthening relationships with alumni and other strategic external partners to support the College’s research, scholarly, educational, service, and fundraising goals; identifying and partnering with leading organizations to promote growth for the field and employment opportunities for students.
- Collaborating effectively with appropriate industries and other constituents in the region and throughout the state of Florida and representing EWC and the Arts and Sciences with external communities.
- Prioritizing expenditures and effectively managing resources in a manner that demonstrates accountability and support for the College’s mission.
- Managing academic processes within the unit including the review and approval of student transfer transcripts, graduation application, and clearance processes, drop-and-add, etc.
- Providing accurate, timely responses to requested information and ongoing implementation of strategies to ensure compliance with rules and regulations.
- Recommending renewal of faculty contracts, compensation, promotion, tenure, honors and awards, non-renewal or dismissal in collaboration with the Department Chairs.
- Establishing a culture of assessment and continuous improvement in the College, leading to innovations in pedagogy and creative opportunities to challenge and nurture students in the pursuit of academic excellence.
- The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that logically relate to the position.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to handle information of sensitive and confidential nature in the utmost professional manner.
- Effective analytical and decision-making skills. Excellent communication (oral and written), organizational, and time management skills. Effective interpersonal skills and ability to work with diverse constituents.
- Attention to detail and adaptability to a changing environment is extremely important as well as dependability.
- Demonstrate a high level of professionalism, initiative, resourcefulness, and personal accountability.
- Earned doctorate or another appropriate terminal degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Credentials to teach in an academic discipline offered at Edward Waters College
- Administrative and leadership experience as a dean, associate dean, department chair/academic program director, or similar position
- Active engagement in scholarship and/or creative activity
Please submit a letter of application, curriculum vitae, unofficial transcripts, and three professional references (name and contact information) to firstname.lastname@example.org. The unofficial transcripts must be submitted prior to issuance of the contract. To ensure priority consideration, the specified application materials must be received in PDF format by June 15, 2021. Screening will continue until the position is filled.
Apply for Dean of Arts and Sciences
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Jacksonville
- Arts Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Jacksonville
- Art Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Jacksonville
- Administrative Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Jacksonville
- Deans Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Jacksonville