Assistant Vice President for Community & Internal Communication (17131)
The Assistant Vice President for Community and Internal Communications develops and implements strategies to engage the AU community of faculty, students, staff, and alumni; enhances information sharing; and advances the university’s goals through robust communications efforts. As a key partner to the Chief Communications Officer and other university leaders, the AVP ensures alignment of communications activities with university priorities and integration across departments and units. Leading the growing internal communications function, the AVP will coordinate with university leaders and communicators to inform the AU community through a variety of channels and create dialogues that improve awareness of university information and initiatives. The AVP will also play a key role in the university’s issues management, crisis communications, and emergency response activities.
- Working with the Vice President and Chief Communications Officers, lead internal communications efforts to engage students, faculty, and staff. Manage the internal communications working group to ensure coordination across the university. Oversee production of university internal communications vehicles, including This Week @ AU and community messages from university leaders or departments.
- Direct thought leadership opportunities, including those for the president, cabinet executives and deans, aligning expertise and strategic plan priorities with opportunities that enhance AU’s reputation. Conduct research, prepare briefings, develop Q&As, and create talking points for university priorities and engagements. Partner with the Assistant Vice President for Media and Communications on external media opportunities as appropriate. While this is not a speech writing position, the AVP will work closely with communicators in the President’s Office, Provost’s Office, Human Resources, the Office of Campus Life, and other departments to align executive messages across remarks, reports, community messages, social media platforms, and media appearances.)
- Lead university-wide communications efforts for key priorities such as the Changemakers strategic plan, Inclusive Excellence, Sustainability, Research Promotion, etc. Work collaboratively with colleagues to develop timelines, supporting materials and events for roll outs and announcements. Collaborate with the university Government and Community Relations team to support neighborhood and DC issues and engagements.
- Working with Chief Communications Officer and the Assistant Vice President for Communications and Media, support and execute issues management and crisis communications strategies and activities. With this group and other university leaders, implement a crisis management plan, including but not limited to protocols, messages, and tools. Provide messaging, preparation, and logistical support for media interviews and events. Write talking points, responses to questions, press releases, media alerts, and other materials in support of crisis communications. Coordinate with UCM digital team to engage and manage social media during crises, including ongoing monitoring. Manage responses to internal and external matters related to university operations, staff, students, alumni, etc.
- Manage emergency communications processes and protocols. Work with facilities management university police, risk management, and other appropriate university departments on related measures.
- Currently, no direct reports but potential to expand
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full time
- Function Leader A
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree (degree in journalism, public relations, communications, or related field)
- 10+ years of relevant experience
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master's degree
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Travel required; infrequently, less than one time per year, on average.
- Superior written and oral communication skills with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute communication plans with measurable impact.
- Demonstrated experience writing various communications, such as briefings, news releases, talking points, scripts, and general correspondence concerning the organizations initiatives, strategies, goals, and performance.
- Demonstrated experience with internal communication at company or organization.
- Discretion and management experience working with executive stakeholders and handling confidential information and sensitive matters.
- Ability to manage projects and programs, which includes planning, developing timelines, determining resource requirements, evaluating progress, and reporting results.
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful completion of a background check
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email email@example.com .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Communications Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Other Communications Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.