The Senior Copywriter knows how to tell a captivating story and plays a lead role in shaping the voice of Ithaca College. The senior copywriter conceives, plans, research, develops, writes, and produces innovative, imaginative, and persuasive content to support Ithaca College’s brand position and institutional goals.
This writer contributes results- and insights-driven content, working independently as well as collaboratively with marketers, designers, photographers, and videographers. Must be able to write, revise, edit, and proof copy in many styles, for each medium, target audience, and subject area as appropriate
This position reports to the Executive Director of Creative Strategy. This position provides direction, guidance, and supervision to junior writers, professional freelancers and student workers.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following.
- Ensure that our storytelling is consistent across consumer touch points, while nuanced to reach relevant audiences, identifying and developing appropriate language, tone, voice, and message based on medium, target audience, and primary content subject.
- Writing for a cohesive experience. Write across a variety of channels, including print, web, blogs, emails, advertisements, social media, infographics, video scripts, talking points, storyboards, and more.
- Collaborate with creative/marketing team including marketers, designers, and multimedia staff. Interview subjects as necessary. Think visually, identifying opportunities for materials under development.
- Strategize with partners within the marketing/creative team to develop and execute a content calendar and deployment of strategy across channels.
- Create and interpret strategic briefs, pitch concepts at all levels. Establish production schedules and coordinate the preparation of copy.
- Identify opportunities and gaps and recommend solutions as related to marketing strategy and goals.
- Perform ongoing research on audiences and new writing trends and styles to maintain fresh and relevant perspective and remain at the cutting edge.
- Partner with colleagues inside and outside the department to increase engagement, generate leads, share news and research, educate/train about the college’s voice and tone, and to execute strategies and deliverables.
- Develop and demonstrate a multicultural awareness and contribute to cultivating an inclusive, diverse and respectful College community. Promote a flexible, collaborative and inclusive work and living environment and engage in educational opportunities to increase awareness and understanding of diversity and inclusion.
- Willing and able to do whatever necessary to whip content into shape.
- Ability to make people laugh and/or cry through written or visual media.
- Ability to be nimble while navigating a wide variety of work, from informational to conceptual; from concise to in-depth.
- Ability to focus on user/audience priorities and needs in structuring content.
- Ability to consistently produce work with specific voice/tone goals, regardless of the length or format.
- Wit and humor are a plus; you’ll get to use them here.
- Ability to quickly develop and execute creative strategies, with strength in observing and managing multiple projects at once on deadline.
- Ability to write across print and digital formats and plan content production efficiently.
- Exemplary research, planning, and writing skills.
- Strong knowledge of brand and marketing principles, including the ability to interpret data or research results to guide content decisions.
- Ability to think strategically, actively listen, and build healthy collaborations.
- Collaborative personality; able to take constructive criticism with ease and grace.
- Capability to effectively articulate, present and explain writing choices.
- A strong vocabulary, expertise in English usage, and comfort with multiple and often complex writing assignments, styles and disciplines .
- Desire to push the boundaries for constant improvement.
- A curious mind.
- An interest in social media.
- Self-starter and problem-solver, happy to try new things.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to effectively work and interact respectfully within a diverse and inclusive environment.
- Bachelor's degree in creative writing, journalism, communication, advertising or related field or equivelent progressively challenging experience.
- 5-8 years of experience in communications, business, marketing, advertising or a related field.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret a brand identity and creative strategy and write compelling copy that will persuade, inform, and catch the attention of the target audience.
- Excellent written communications skills and ability to copy-edit and proofread.
- Knowledge of traditional and digital marketing channels, content marketing and distribution platforms, and consumer analytics.
- Knowledge of media production, dissemination and communication methods and techniques as well as best writing practices for specific mediums.
- Expertise with The Chicago Manual of Style and knowledge of various word processing programs.
- Experience writing scripts and interviewing.
- Experience working with designers.
- Experience pitching new ideas and concepts.
Most of the work of the incumbent is carried out within a generally accessible, safe, indoor environment. The incumbent will be required to operate a personal computer and associated equipment as well as other office equipment used in the day-to-day office operations. Working remotely is a possibility for this position.
About Ithaca College
As an employee at Ithaca College, you’ll get much more than a competitive salary and the traditional advantages. We pride ourselves on providing our benefit-eligible employees with the most comprehensive benefits possible, including work/life balance, generous paid time off policies, career-enhancing trainings, employee and dependent tuition assistance, and opportunities to give back to the community. Beyond benefits, you’ll enjoy the kind of uniquely rewarding work environment that can only be found in a vibrant college community.
To apply, please submit cover letter, resume, and list of three professional references.
Visa sponsorship is not provided for this position.
Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.