Economist, Bureau of Business and Economic Research (BBER)
The Bureau of Business and Economic Research (BBER) invites applications for the position of an Economist . The responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
- Directing the BBER’s forecasting efforts
- Designing, maintaining and extending its databases to support all of the BBER’s research activities
- Carrying out all the activities related to the development and operations of economic, demographic, and other statistical forecasting models; including but not limited to formulating recommendations and plans; providing advice/consultation on economic, statistical, and database relationships; and collaborating on plan data collection methods for specific projects
- Conduct peer-reviewed research and disseminate research findings to the public in non-technical language, including presentations at the Montana Economic Outlook Seminars
- Collaboration with other BBER employees to attract grants, contracts, and other outside funding and to take a leadership role in conducting externally funded projects to achieve timely and successful outcomes
- Serve as the Montana representative to the Federal-State Cooperative for Population Estimates with the U.S. Census Bureau
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action : Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
- Position is full-time, 1.0 FTE, 12 month, MUS Contract and includes a comprehensive and competitive benefits package including Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
- Salary for this position is $63,672 per year commensurate with qualifications
- Master’s degree in economics or a related field.
- Independence, initiative, leadership, communications, and persistence.
- Thoroughly trained in the theories, principles, and methods of demographics and economics and have demonstrated experience in statistical models, database design and project management.
- Ability to communicate effectively with clients, make presentations, and to be able to manage complex projects requiring ingenuity and creativity.
- Demonstrated ability to compile, analyze, and report data to explain and forecast the various research topics, applying mathematical models and statistical techniques.
- Ability to identify relationships and trends in data, as well as any factors that could affect the results of research.
- Ability to develop and test designs, sampling techniques, and analytical methods; as well as prepare data for processing by organizing information, checking for any inaccuracies, and adjusting and weighting the raw data.
- Ability to evaluate the methods and procedures used to obtain data to ensure validity, applicability, efficiency, and accuracy.
- Ability to plan and implement security measures to safeguard database information
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in econometric and statistical model-building as well as database management.
- Demonstrated capacity to work independently and in teams to bring complex research projects to a successful conclusion.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in statistical software, database tools, and resources in regional economic and demographic research.
- Ability to work independently to develop and direct all of the BBER’s forecasting activities and to make non-technical public presentations of research findings.
- Ability to manage all aspects of a research program, including budgets and personnel, research development and strategic planning.
About BBER and UM
The Bureau’s purpose is to serve the general public, as well as people in business, labor, and government, by providing an understanding of the economic environment in which Montanans live and work.
The University of Montana is a unit of the Montana University System with over 10,000 students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 72,000, surrounded by mountain grandeur which was recently ranked in the “ top 20 best college towns with a population of less than 250,000 ” by the American Institute for Economic Research and ranked 9th in Outside Magazine’s “ The 16 Greatest Places to Live in America” in 2014 . Many national publications recognize Missoula for its high quality of life . Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: Monday, July 5, 2021 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Complete applications received by the ‘Priority Application Date’ will be guaranteed consideration. The position will remain open until filled. Candidates are required to submit the following materials online.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular