Assistant Coach, Cross Country/Track
Assistant Coach, Cross Country/Track & Field
Posting Number: R0003622
Location: Salem Campus
Attention Current Willamette University Employees: In order to apply for posted positions, please close this window and log into your Workday account and apply through the Career worklet.
Instructions for Applicants:
Please read the following carefully before beginning the online application process.
To be considered for employment at Willamette University, please complete our online employment application. Your application and all required attachments -- listed at the bottom of the page -- must be submitted for each individual job post that you are interested in applying for. If there is an application deadline, please ensure that your application is submitted by the deadline. Once you submit your application you will not be able to edit your application.
Willamette University announces a full-time position for an Assistant Coach, Cross Country/Track & Field. The individual in this position assists the Head Coach in the planning, development, and execution of all programs and activities of the Cross Country and Track & Field programs; assists the in the execution of practices, meets, and other competitive and training programs and events; and assists in the teaching of principles and techniques to students.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Recruits qualified student-athletes for admission to a rigorous academic environment and assist in all areas of recruiting.
- Assist in conducting daily practice for the cross country athletes.
- Observes all conference, NCAA and university rules and regulations.
- Assists head coach with team travel arrangements including accommodations and meals.
- Assist with meet management for all home Cross Country and Track & Field meets.
- Assist head coach with preparation and implementation of running specific strength and conditioning program.
- Provides leadership and instruction in the personal and athletic development of student-athletes, including counseling team members in academic, disciplinary and personal matters.
- Participates in department and Division planning and staff meetings when available, representing the cross country and track programs and/or Willamette athletic department.
Work collaboratively with all coaches and administrative staff within the athletics program to enhance overall department operation and student-athlete experience.
Additional administrative responsibilities and duties will be assigned by the Head Coach, Cross Country/Track & Field.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field or equivalent required.
- Experience coaching at the college, high school or club level.
- Knowledge of all applicable NCAA Division III and Conference rules.
- Must be able to successfully articulate the values of a liberal arts education and the role intercollegiate athletics plays in the development of student athletes.
- Ability to recruit outstanding student-athletes to a strong academic environment.
- Possess strong leadership, organizational, communication and management skills; serves as a role model for student-athletes. Ability to effectively teach and coach students in both an individual and team setting.
- Must demonstrate strong communication and organizational skills and must be able to work effectively with staff, faculty and other members of the University.
- Ability to effectively communicate in English, both orally and in writing, including the ability to communicate instructions pertaining to athletic matters in an athletic coaching setting.
- Ability to execute those physical activities required to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Knowledge of and ability to use computers and basic office software.
- Ability to effectively interact with a wide variety of people in a manner that positively portrays the University and its programs, personnel, and philosophies.
- Must possess a current driver's license valid in the state of Oregon or the ability to obtain one within 60 days of hire date and satisfactory driving record insurable by the university's insurer.
- Ability to work independently as well as establish and maintain harmonious relations with other staff, faculty and students.
- Successful clearance of a criminal conviction record check.
- Collegiate playing experience.
- Experience coaching at the collegiate level.
Typical Work Schedule
Monday - Friday 9:00 - 6:00 pm. Evening and Weekend work during season.
Physical Demands & Working Conditions:
Intermittent physical effort involving lifting or moving up to 50 pounds.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as received until the position is filled.
All University positions require that candidates submit to a criminal conviction record check prior to hire. Conviction does not automatically preclude candidates from being hired. Nature of conviction will be considered relative to the duties of the position.
You will need to upload the following documents as part of your application materials in the "My Experience" section labeled Resume:
- Cover letter addressing the required/desired qualifications and
presenting any other applicant characteristics which deserve
- Current Resume
- Coaching Philosophy
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Apply online at https://willamette.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/willametteuniversityjobs/job/Salem-Campus/Assistant-Coach--Cross-Country-Track---Field_R0003622-1
Believing that diversity contributes to academic excellence and to rich and rewarding communities, WU is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body. We seek candidates, particularly those from historically under-represented groups, whose work furthers diversity and who bring to campus varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds.