Tutor - Dental Hygiene Program - Part Time
TUTOR - DENTAL HYGIENE PROGRAM - PART TIME
MALCOLM X COLLEGE
A Tutor provides students with tutoring and instructional support in dental hygiene to help improve their academic capabilities and progress academically, while promoting independent learning and self-reliance. Tutors assist tutees in developing and improving their competency in pre-clinical, clinical, and didactic coursework; and help students integrate didactic theory into the pre-clinical/clinical setting. Tutors may work inside the classroom/clinic as embedded tutors; tutor students in didactic, pre-clinical and clinical courses; and provide on-line tutoring services to students enrolled in distance learning courses. Tutor students using course materials developed by lead instructor. Be embedded in didactic, pre-clinical and/or clinical courses to offer one on one or small group instruction. Performs related duties as required.
- Provides academic assistance and tutoring to students on an individual or group basis in dental hygiene related coursework
- Tutors students to help them gain a deeper comprehension of dental hygiene theory and practice and a better understanding of work assignments to improve their academic success.
- Crafts effective tutoring plans to address tutee’s weaknesses and strengths; motivates students and provides them with confidence to feel successful.
- Provides students with learning strategies including ways to improve study skills and retention, how to organize work, effective use of time, and how to build better study habits.
- Schedules individual tutoring sessions at the Academic Support Center, based on students requests for tutoring in a specific subject area.
- Assists the tutee in problem solving and applying critical thinking techniques in the context of a specific discipline or subject area.
- Helps students develop positive attitudes and a high level of motivation towards learning and studying, build self-confidence and reduce anxiety or fear of failure in academic work.
- Tutors students and provide students with strategies to develop effective study habits and skills to improve academic capabilities.
- Prepares students for standardized testing and provides strategies to overcome test anxiety.
- Participates in tutor orientation and attends professional development and training sessions to increase competency in subject areas and improve tutoring skills.
- May conduct academic skill reviews and lead workshops on academic skills.
- Provide ongoing communication with students, Instructors and academic advisors regrading academic progress of individual students
- Maintains records on tutoring activities.
- Provides periodic student assessments and evaluations as required.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university in Dental Hygiene or related field of study, OR be a registered dental hygienist and hold a current IL dental hygiene license
- Completion of tutoring certification preferred.
- Experience in teaching, tutoring, or delivering academic support to students at the post- secondary instructional level is strongly preferred.
- Experience working in a large, urban community college environment with a diverse cultural and ethnic student body is highly desirable.
- Knowledgeable of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Knowledge, Skills, and Ability
- Proficiency in the subject area to be tutored.
- Knowledge of effective tutoring techniques and strategies in subject area(s)
- Knowledge of tutoring strategies used for improving students study skills.
- Knowledge of appropriate software if applicable
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to work within a culturally diverse environment
- Ability to interact effectively with students and to motivate students to succeed
- Initiative – Demonstrate willingness to take on responsibilities and job challenges
- Attention to Detail – Pay careful attention to detail and thoroughness in completing work tasks.
- Dependability – Demonstrate reliability, responsibility, and dependability and fulfill obligations.
- Technology Savvy – Capable user of technology who understands the role of technology in the institution and who will guide and support its efficient and effective use.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in CCC!