Executive Director, Accounting
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- One LSC
- Student Focused
- Own It
- Advance Equity
- Cultivate Community
- Choose Learning
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance .
Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-System Office
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow’s workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of seven colleges, ten centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, is continuously named Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Lone Star College-System Office employees are based at one of two System Office locations; The Woodlands and University Park. Both are the site for multiple administrative departments and system-wide training programs.
Location address is 5000 Research Forest Drive, The Woodlands, TX 77381.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
The Executive Director, Accounting holds direct management authority and accountability to execute policies and operational initiatives for a department, group of departments, or functional area. Provides strategic, proactive and innovative leadership and direction to the Lone Star College (LSC) Accounting and Grants Accounting departments ensuring the basis for departmental goal setting is aligned with LSC’s strategic goals. Directs and manages the accounting, general ledger, financial reporting, and grants accounting of Lone Star College. Position reports directly to the Associate Vice Chancellor (AVC) of Financial Reporting and Operations.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provide strategic vision and operational initiatives to the LSC accounting, grants accounting, financial reporting, general ledger processes
- Directly manage cross-functional relationships and communicate regularly with management regarding major business and technical risks
- Verify, review, and submit monthly financial reports and statements for internal and external purposes, to ensure compliance with governmental accounting standards and generally accepted accounting principles
- Develop, implement, and oversee multiple accounting processes, including but not limited to timely and efficient balance sheet account reconciliations and journal entries, proper recording of revenues and expenses into appropriate system accounts, accruals, and maintenance of chart of accounts
- Perform technical accounting research of complex issues to ensure proper accounting treatment
- Direct and manage external audits and reviews; coordinate the process and ensure required data provided for audits
- Develop the detailed annual audit and year end close schedules and checklists, coordinate and oversee the preparation of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report
- Manage and/or oversee multiple accounting-related modules within PeopleSoft, including but not limited to the General Ledger, Commitment Control, and Project Costing modules, may include configuration, security and access, testing and routine changes to related tables, etc .; ensure that LSC’s return on investment is maximized
- Hire, manage, train, evaluate, and counsel staff who provide accounting and general ledger support functions to a wide rank of campus personnel, sets priorities, make assignments, and evaluate outcomes in order to achieve business objectives and to help ensure compliance with all related LSC policies and procedures, as well as Federal, State and local rules and regulations
- Manage and monitor area budgets
- Actively participate in and/or leads various LSC meetings, committees, training sessions, conferences, and PeopleSoft user groups
- Identify and drive process improvement initiatives
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written, to interact effectively and professionally with faculty, staff and the public.
- Strong analytical skills
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of educational institutions and how financial decisions and policies impact student operations and instructional areas.
- Excellent management skills, strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to understand Lone Star College System policies and procedures
- Ability to display personal initiative and autonomy
- Ability to establish strategy and direction for department
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to problem solve and provide team building skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Excellent attention to detail while still meeting deadlines
- Ability to set priorities and handle several tasks simultaneously
- Above average skills in utilization of computer systems to extract and report information
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 10 years of related work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience must include at least 3 years ina manager- or director-levelposition
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) certification, OR Master's degree in Accountancy (MACC)
- Master's Degree in Accounting, Business, Finance, or a related field, AND Certified Public Accountant (CPA) certification
- Certified Governmental Financial Manager (CGFM)
- Experience with PeopleSoft Financial Management System
- Experience in governmental accounting
Hiring salary range is $99,340 - $152,000.
Lone Star College provides a hiring salary range for all posted full-time non-faculty positions. Where your salary offer would fall in that range is determined by your related experience and education. Should you receive an offer of employment from Lone Star College, the resume submitted in the application process will be utilized to calculate your salary offer. The information outlined below will provide the Office of Human Resources everything needed to determine an accurate starting salary.
Your resume should provide a complete picture of your work experience. The resume should include the following information for each position listed:
- Length of time (specific months and years) of employment
- If the position was full time or part time
- If the position was paid or unpaid
- Unofficial transcript for highest earned degree
Additionally, any certifications listed as required or preferred in the Lone Star College job description should be included in the resume submitted.
Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment and excellent work/life balance. This includes a full comprehensive and competitive benefits package, a generous number of paid holidays and vacation days, wellness programs, tuition waiver, professional development opportunities and more.
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume.
If you are applying for an Instructional position (i.e. Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, Instructor), please ensure you include the following to be considered: Resume/CV, Cover Letter, Teaching Philosophy, and unofficial transcripts.
You must limit your file name for any attachment to 40 characters or less.
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Shenandoah
- Business & Management Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Shenandoah
- Accounting & Finance Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Shenandoah
- Administrative Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Shenandoah
- Business & Administrative Affairs Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Shenandoah