Professional Research Assistant - Clean Room
JILA is encouraging applications for a Professional Research Assistant to join our JILA Cleanroom. This is a technical research position that has primary responsibility for the day-to-day operations of the JILA cleanroom and optical metrology lab. Primary job duties include training graduate students, post-docs, and outside clients on the proper use of our instrumentation and the safety considerations one must take, as well as designing and fabricating custom devices for clients using cleanroom techniques such as photolithography. Additional job duties include troubleshooting and maintaining scientific instrumentation, including spectrometers and vacuum chamber systems, as well as working in a machine shop.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
JILA is a joint institute of the University of Colorado Boulder and the National Institute of Standards and Technology. We support eclectic and innovative research programs that foster creative collaborations among our scientists. The wide-ranging interests of our scientists have made JILA one of the nation’s leading research institutes in the physical sciences. They explore some of today’s most challenging and fundamental scientific questions about quantum physics, the design of precision optical and x-ray lasers, the fundamental principles underlying the interaction of light and matter, and processes that have governed the evolution of the Universe for nearly 14 billion years. Research topics range from the small, frigid world governed by the laws of quantum mechanics through the physics of biological and chemical systems to the processes that shape the stars and galaxies. JILA science encompasses eight broad categories: Astrophysics, Atomic & Molecular Physics, Biophysics, Chemical Physics, Laser Physics, Nanoscience, Precision Measurement, and Quantum Information Science & Technology. To learn more visit: https://jila.colorado.edu/
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Teach graduate students various methods and care/use of equipment.
- Assist clients in designing custom devices, including the use of 3D CAD software and/or modeling results.
- Perform routine cleaning and maintenance of equipment including ellipsometer, mask aligner, optical microscope, FESEM, Fizeua interferometer, and AFM, and others as needed.
- Maintain the cleanliness and tidiness of the cleanroom and metrology lab.
- Maintain cleanroom chemical and supply inventory; including ordering items, checking usage, and identifying user needs.
- Keep records, as designated by cleanroom supervisor for use of certain items, generate monthly usage reports and maintain records for user access and billing purposes.
- Responsible for hazardous waste records and accumulation areas in accordance with CU and JILA standards.
- Ensure safety procedures and precautions are followed. Follow inspections for safety, chemical inventory, and CU Environmental Health & Safety.
- Perform custom machining and fabrication while assisting the clean room supervisor with equipment improvements and customizations.
- Perform other administrative duties and technical support as necessary.
What We Can Offer
Salary range for this position is $65,000 - $75,000 per year.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Effective. Be Pioneering. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Advanced degree in Physics, Chemistry, or related field. Equivalent demonstrated qualification, with multi-year experience in a laboratory/clean room environment may substitute for an Advanced Degree.
- Willingness to instruct and aid research students and faculty.
- Understanding of and experience with typical clean room and laboratory safety protocols.
- Physical Requirements include the ability to lift 50 pounds regularly, the ability to bend/twist and physically maneuver in tight surroundings, and ability to see and manually manipulate small items.
What You Will Need
- Ability to communicate complex or complicated information in an understandable way through verbal and written means to a wide variety of persons.
- Commitment to foster a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment.
What We Would Like You To Have
- At least 2 years of experience in teaching, mentoring, or training others on complex tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to design, build, maintain, and troubleshoot vacuum chambers.
- Able to operate various machinery for making custom machined parts for specialized scientific instruments.
- Competency in using Solid Works or other 3D CAD software.
- Programming experience in MATLAB/python (or similar language).
- Experience in operating electron microscopes.
- Has familiarity with photolithography and e-beam lithography processes.
- Experience with digital electronics, especially programming microcontrollers.
- Experience in maintaining instruments in a clean room environment (ISO 5/6).
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Cover Letter specifically addressing job duties and requirements
- Candidate Statement on how they will actively contribute to diversity and inclusivity within JILA.
- Optional: Proof of Degree
- If you are selected as the finalist, your degree will be verified by the CU Boulder Campus Human Resources department using an approved online vendor. If your degree was obtained outside of the United States, please submit a translated version (if applicable) as an optional attachment.
During the application process you will need to enter contact information for one reference who will be contacted to provide a letter of recommendation and additional materials, if needed, as the search progresses.
Please apply by July 2, 2021 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: Recruiting@colorado.edu