Director of Accounting
Director of Accounting
The Director of Accounting performs professional accounting duties, prepares for month-end and year-end closing procedures, including the annual audit. Assists the Director of Finance/Controller with oversight of the University’s daily accounting and Finance office operations.
Essential Job Functions of Position
● Responsible for maintaining a healthy, fair, and inclusive work environment by promoting diversity, exercising teamwork, and collaboration. Actively promote a professional workplace culture of mutual respect and collegiality for all members of the institution. Work to build positive and cooperative relationships with staff, encouraging them to work toward individual and departmental goals.
● Recruit, hire, train, and evaluate the performance of assigned staff.
● Compile and analyze financial data and develop financial reports to apprise members of the Washburn University Board of Regents ( WUBOR ) of the University’s financial position. Submit prepared reports before board meetings for review, proofing, and modification.
● Coordinate preparation of schedules and reports required for the University’s Annual Financial Report ( AFR ):
Assign completion of schedules to Finance Office and other staff, including due dates.
Review completed schedules to verify accuracy.
Prepare certain AFR schedules and submit them for review.
Compile completed schedules into a report for distribution to the WUBOR and other stakeholders.
● Prepare various external audit work papers (ranging from simple summaries to financial statement drafts) to prepare for and assist with annual audits.
● Review and analyze new GASB accounting pronouncements to identify those that affect the University, determine their impact, and develop recommendations to assist with implementation.
● Participate in year-end closing procedures.
● Compile data and prepare special reports and analyses as asked by leadership and Institutional Research for inclusion in surveys and other external reports.
● Provide information to faculty, staff, students, and outside parties as requested to assist with budget management and departments’ record reconciliation:
Provide general ledger account balances.
Explain accounting transactions.
Provide information and research records to assist with resolving accounting issues and discrepancies at the department level.
● Monitor bank account and Municipal Investment Pool ( MIP ) balances and make transfers between accounts consistent with cash needs to maintain positive cash balances and maximize return on cash and cash equivalents.
● Reconcile operating and payroll bank accounts monthly, investigating and correcting discrepancies as required.
● Review outstanding checklists to identify uncashed checks and communicate with payees to identify and resolve issues of outstanding checks. Remove lost checks from positive pay file and request issuance of replacement checks following University policies.
● Remit annual unclaimed property (uncashed checks) to state per escheat laws.
● Request CD rate proposals each quarter from local banks and transfer funds between banks as necessary to maximize return on temporary investments.
● Make transfers to MIP for semi-annual debt service payments.
● Develop and maintain a cash requirements forecasting model to ensure that sufficient cash is available to allow the University to meet its financial obligations.
● Monitor and report on spending on annual capital and equipment projects to keep administrators apprised of financial issues relative to ongoing projects.
● Analyze purchases of capital assets to determine proper accounting for such purchases.
● Enter assets to be capitalized into the appropriate software program fixed asset module.
● Run depreciation process at year-end to facilitate assessment and reporting of the University’s financial status.
● Record purchases of capitalized and tracked assets and work with the responsible staff to support tagging and inventorying of capitalized and tracked assets.
● Perform payroll processes in the applicable computer program to record payroll in the accounting records and department budgets.
● Direct and follow up with Accounts Payable staff or upload files to ensure direct deposit files are transmitted timely to the bank.
● Analyze payroll tax deposit requirements and direct Accounts Payable to make such deposits on a timely basis.
● Prepare and upload data files to retirement annuity providers and direct Accounts Payable to make payments to the providers on a timely basis.
● Review and approve payment vouchers for payment of payroll deductions to the appropriate parties.
● Prepare and file quarterly Form 941 and state unemployment tax returns according to the applicable requirements.
● Reconcile various clearing and receivable accounts every month.
● Perform end-of-day cashiering processes to record cashiering and accounts receivable transactions in the accounting records:
Interface accounts receivable transactions into appropriate software programs.
Settle credit card batches and create ACH files for accounts receivable transactions.
Upload ACH files to the bank before the 7:00 pm daily processing deadline.
● Serve as an accounting resource to Finance and Business Office staff as needed.
● Perform additional job-related duties as assigned or as appropriate.
Non-Essential Job Functions of Position
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a bachelor’s degree in a comparable field.
Three years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of education and experience in accounting.
Preferred: Masters degree ( MBA, MAcc, or equivalent). CPA, CMA, or CIA certification. Five or more years of related experience. Higher education accounting, reporting, and analysis experience. Familiarity with GASB accounting and reporting rules (especially for colleges/universities or other business-type activities).
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Ability to work with minimal direction. Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Excel. Effective communication skills. Ability to adapt to change and work well in a team environment.
Preferred: Experience using a large integrated ERP system such as Banner or PeopleSoft.
Licenses, Certifications & Registrations
Additional Requirements (e.g. Physical Demands)
Campus Security Authority
Special Instructions to Applicant
Regular Business Hours
Average Hours per Week
Months per Year
Washburn is dedicated to providing a student-centered and teaching focused academic environment and a curriculum that engages the diversity of human experience across the globe. We seek candidates who are committed to Washburn’s efforts to create a climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented in higher education. Application materials should clearly articulate how the candidate will contribute to the University’s commitment to diversity and inclusion through their teaching, research, and/or service.
Washburn University is an EOE . Washburn University provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status, or marital or parental status.
Background Check Required?
Driving History Checked?
Drug Screen Required?
Anticipated Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
For earliest consideration apply by
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled?
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have the required Bachelor's degree for this position?
- * Do you have three or more years of accounting experience?
- Cover Letter
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Topeka
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Topeka
- Accounting & Finance Not specified Full Time jobs in Topeka
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Topeka
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Topeka