Senior Research Scientist - Advanced Physiological Optics - (FAC001833)
Under the general guidance of the principal investigator, the Senior Research Scientist will be responsible for independently overseeing and carrying out specific research projects in Advanced Physiological Optics Laboratory directed by Dr. Yoon at the University of Houston College of Optometry. The current projects in the laboratory are aimed at investigating mechanisms of human visual perception and binocular visual functions by using binocular adaptive optics vision simulator and visual psychophysics paradigms. This position will require significant postdoctoral research experience (more than 4 years) and have an initial appointment of 1 year that can be extended on a yearly basis depending on performance and availability of grant funding.
The Senior Research Scientist will lead multiple research projects in the laboratory and will be responsible for designing and performing experiments, analyzing data, helping with manuscript and grant preparation, overseeing and training other lab personnel. The scientific research will be focused on utilizing state-of-art optical techniques to measure human visual perception in subjects with poor ocular optics. The suitable candidate should demonstrate the ability to carry out specific research projects independently under the guidance of the principal investigator (PI).
- Independently conduct laboratory research project(s) under the general guidance of the PI. Perform human experiments on a required basis and conduct experiments as needed. The experimental techniques used will include visual psychophysics methods, measurement, induction and correction of the eye’s aberrations (optical imperfection). Other optical and psychological techniques may need to be utilized as dictated by the project and the candidate is expected to be able to self-learn and develop new techniques in the laboratory as required by the project.
- Review current literature, design experiments, analyze and summarize data, write manuscripts and assist with grant preparation, attend and present data at laboratory meetings.
- Train and oversee the work of technicians and students in the laboratory. Specifically, ensure that individuals on specific projects are trained to perform the required experiments and data analysis. Also as a project lead, assign specific experiment to other lab personnel and ensure the accuracy of experiments and data analysis carried out by them.
- Other duties as necessary for completion of research project and work assigned by the PI.
The University of Houston, with one of the most diverse student bodies in the nation, seeks to recruit and retain a diverse community of scholars. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until positions is filled.
Please contact, Principal Investigator Dr. Geunyoung Yoon in the Department of Basic Sciences, gyoon2@Central.UH.EDU or Dr. Vallabh E Das, Dept. Chair of Basic Sciences, vdas@Central.UH.EDU with questions.
The University of Houston is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Well qualified candidates will have the following qualifications/experience:
- A Ph.D. in vision science or neuroscience is required.
- Prior experience in visual psychophysics and engineering is preferred; especially experience human behavioral studies and software development with Matlab Psychophysics Toolbox.
- Experience with and knowledge of statistical and image analysis software would be advantageous.
Notes to Applicant: Official transcripts are required for all faculty appointments and will be requested upon selection of the final candidate. All positions at the university are security sensitive and will require a criminal history check.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Biotechnology & Bioengineering Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Social & Behavioral Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston