STEM Program Facilitator (part-time) - Framingham State University
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
The Program Facilitator will help facilitate many of the McAuliffe Center's in-person STEM education programs, including: simulation of space missions, facilitation of astronomy programs (see https://cm-center.org), family engagement days, and other public programs. All programs contain accurate and relevant STEM principles and concepts in a way that both educates and inspires further interest in STEM and learning. McAuliffe Center programs cover a wide range of science content complemented by opportunities to practice teamwork, problem-solving, and strategic thinking challenges. The Program Facilitator is a person who is comfortable with science content and is eager to learn more. The Program Facilitator is confident in using education technology for the facilitation of remote learning experiences. The Program Facilitator is interested in researching effective ways to creatively engage students through the use of role-play and dynamic presentation styles.
EXAMPLES OF SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Facilitate simulation of space missions and astronomy programs for elementary, middle and high school students
- Set up and clean up education program classroom
- Monitor program materials and make updates when appropriate
- Assist in the maintenance of an educational facility
- Contribute, via reviews and feedback, to the creation of new education programs
Example of work schedule and expectations:
- 2-3 days per week (12-18 hours) as a Flight Director in the Challenger Learning Center, 8:30-2:00 pm
- Up to 6 hours per week assisting on other duties/special
- Supplementary activities for visiting group
- Assisting in the preparation and implementation of public events such as FSU annual science festival
- Special Activities for MA STEM Week
- Professional development webinars
This position is part-time, 18 hours a week, in-person. A uniform will be provided for use in all Challenger Learning Center programs.
- Associates or Bachelors Degree
- Relevant coursework in science at the college level or equivalent experience in a science learning context
- Demonstrated experience in working in a combination of informal science education, outreach, youth development, and formal education.
- Demonstrated ability to learn and adapt to new software and digital technologies and troubleshoot
- Demonstrated commitment to a high standard of inclusive educational practice
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to the needs of a diverse range of audiences representing a wide range of ages, backgrounds, and abilities
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative in the work environment, work successfully both as a part of a team and independently
- Candidates who are bilingual in English and Spanish or English and Portuguese are strongly encouraged to apply.
This is a part-time non-benefited, contract position, not to exceed 18 hours per week. The pay rate is $18-20/hour.
Framingham State University conducts criminal history and sexual offender record checks on recommended finalists prior to final employment for all positions.
Framingham State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Members of underrepresented groups, minorities, women, veterans, persons with disabilities, and all persons committed to diversity and inclusive excellence are strongly encouraged to apply.