Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Initial review of applications will begin on Wednesday, June 30th, so applications should be submitted by that time for guaranteed consideration.
Bemidji State University (BSU) invites applicants to join our team as the SUCCESS Coach in the Advising Success Center. BSU’s vision is to educate people to lead inspired lives. To accomplish BSU’s vision, the University prioritizes creating a culture in which diversity is embraced and all people are safe, welcome, and validated. BSU also prioritizes increasing engagement with Indigenous communities to become a destination university.
BSU is located amid the lakes and forests of northern Minnesota and occupies a wooded campus along the shore of Lake Bemidji. BSU balances rigorous academia with the opportunity to enjoy a fun, robust, outdoor culture. The proximity to the lake and the surrounding north woods allows easy access to an assortment of recreation. Major campus facilities are connected by all-season underground passages for safe and warm travel during the cold, winter months.
Enrolling more than 5,000 students, BSU offers more than 70 undergraduate majors and eight graduate degrees encompassing arts, sciences and select professional programs. BSU is a member of the Minnesota State system of colleges and universities and has a faculty and staff of more than 550. BSU’s Shared Fundamental Values include civic engagement and leadership, international and multicultural understanding, belief in the power of the liberal arts, and environmental stewardship.
The Advising Success Center is an advising and registration resource for all students. It helps BSU students with advisor assignments, assists students who are conditionally admitted to the university and those on academic warning and academic probation, and provides academic and referral information for student to ensure academic success. The Center is also a resource for prospective students who are interested in learning more about attending BSU.
The SUCCESS Coach is a student-facing position and requires excellent interpersonal skills, content knowledge, and a passion for helping students in need. The Coach will meet regularly with students, organize education and recreational activities, and monitor student progress through Starfish, manage the financial incentive program, provide academic and personal guidance and referrals to campus services, and establish working relationships with other student service areas and departments across the university and MN State.
Responsibilities of the SUCCESS Coach include:
- Meeting regularly (1-2 times per month) with each student on assigned caseload to provide academic and personal guidance, following a calendar of topics and providing other support, as needed (20%).
- Reviewing students’ academic progress and referring students to appropriate campus services. Coaching/advising students in all areas of life such as soft skills, time management, acclimating to university life, employment, housing, budgeting/financial management, identifying/maintaining appropriate relationships, career planning, parenting, medical/mental health, finding community resources, and using referrals as needed. Informing students of program requirements. Percent of time: 20%
- Organizing individual and group educational and recreational activities to maintain contact with students and help them stay connected to campus and succeed academically. Percent of time: 15%.
- Tracking student participation in coaching sessions, maintaining accurate data for each assigned student using Starfish. Regularly generating and reviewing reports on student participation in coaching sessions; devising strategies to connect with students who have low or no participation. Percent of time: 15%.
- Regularly reviewing data with the program coordinator and discussing strategies for improving program operation. Participating in trainings and professional development. Percent of time: 15%.
- Establishing working relationships with relevant campus departments to access services for students. Collaborating with other coaches and the program coordinator to implement strategies that will lead to the program’s sustainability and success. Percent of time: 10%.
- Liaising with other SUCCESS coaches in the Minnesota State system to share knowledge and lessons learned. Percent of time: 5%.
Minimum qualifications for this position include:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field with at least two (2) years in a student services capacity such as advising or college access.
- Experience working with low-income, nontraditional, underserved and historically underrepresented students, with demonstrated passion for helping students succeed.
- Strong management, organizational, and computer skills.
- Experience and ability to adapt to changing circumstances and creatively addressing challenges.
- Strong communication skills.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Master’s degree in a relevant field.
- Experience working in higher education.
- Experience with data management or use of management information system software, including the ability to interpret student data reports.
- Experience and/or interest in engaging in a research and technical assistance partnerships.
Apply online: https://bemidjistate.peopleadmin.com/
Inquiries about the position:
Zachary Johnson, Director of Advising Success Center
Phone: (218) 755-2226
If you have general questions about this posting or submitting an application, contact Teresa Hanson at email@example.com
UNIVERSITY / COMMUNITY
Bemidji State University is nestled among the pines along the shores of Lake Bemidji, just blocks from a thriving downtown community. In this Northwoods setting, students, staff, and faculty have a variety of activities at their fingertips. Possessing all the charm and character of a college town, Bemidji remains a tight-knit community of good neighbors and engaged citizens who always come out to cheer for the Bemidji State Beavers. While the city of Bemidji — named after the Ojibwe Chief Shaynowishkung (nicknamed Bemidji) — is home to a diverse population of more than 15,000 people, it serves a regional population of more than 100,000.
Located between three American Indian reservations – Leech Lake, Red Lake and White Earth, students at Bemidji State University have the opportunity to experience a dynamic local culture and history. Bemidji also sits at the center of the legends of Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox. The famous statues of Paul and Babe greet students as they drive in from the south along Lake Bemidji.
Though quaint and historic, the city offers the urban conveniences upon which college students rely. Bemidji State is conveniently located minutes away from affordable restaurants, cozy coffee shops, grocery stores, city parks and more. Small, locally owned shops and art sculptures line the streets of downtown Bemidji, while national chains can be found in and around the Bemidji area, including an uptown selection of department stores and restaurants.
The thriving downtown community presents ample opportunities for engagement off-campus. Among other things, there are fine-dining restaurants, cafes, and a natural foods co-op in downtown Bemidji. The historic Paul Bunyan Playhouse has a calendar of classic shows; restaurants and lounges offer weekly live music performances; the First Friday Art Walk provides a tour of new monthly art exhibits; and annual events such as the Loop the Lake Festival, the Dragon Boat Festival, the Blue Ox Marathon, Bemidji Winterfest, and The Minnesota Finlandia bring the community together.
For those who love the outdoors, there are wooded, multi-use trail systems within minutes of campus and community parks with walking trails, playgrounds and a skate park. Lake Bemidji State Park and its miles of navigable trails is located directly across the lake from BSU, and the Buena Vista Ski Area — just 12 miles north of campus — offers downhill skiing and BSU-sponsored student transportation in the winter months. Further, the Mississippi River Headwaters is a mere 45 minutes from Bemidji.
For further information, visit our website at: http://www.bemidjistate.edu
Review a "special report on how this former lumber town has rebuilt itself as a high-speed, regional center of enterprise" at Bemidji 2.0
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative $50,000 - $69,999 Full Time jobs in Bemidji
- Student Affairs Administrative $50,000 - $69,999 Full Time jobs in Bemidji
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Administrative $50,000 - $69,999 Full Time jobs in Bemidji
- Student Activities & Services Administrative $50,000 - $69,999 Full Time jobs in Bemidji