Physical Education Instructor
Starting in the 2021/2022 school year, the PE Department at Phillips Exeter Academy seeks a passionate and energetic full-time Physical Education Teacher who is interested in being part of a collaborative group of teachers and coaches, and working with highly motivated high school students in a diverse, mostly residential community.
Applicants should be able to teach PE and have a level of understanding of exercise science. Candidates must have a college degree in education or related subjects. Master’s Degree is preferred. Experience and enthusiasm for working with adolescents both inside and outside of the classroom is essential. Spending time with students by: giving extra help, advising, working as dormitory faculty, and leading extracurricular activities, is an integral part of the job.
In addition to a CV, applicants should submit a cover letter and/or teaching statement indicating a specific interest in teaching at a residential high school that is actively committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
While individual responsibilities will vary from one faculty position to another, the major job duties of all faculty members include the following:
- Teaching: Faculty teach four classes per trimester. In order to meet the intellectual needs of the school’s talented and highly motivated students, teachers are expected to be dedicated to daily preparation for the best possible classes.
- Cultural Competency: Faculty are expected to demonstrate respect for diversity of identities and experiences, an orientation toward equity and inclusion, and cultural competency in all aspects of Academy life.
- Residential Life: Faculty generally reside in campus housing and play a critical role in cultivating Exeter’s community-centered student dormitory life. Each faculty member is generally responsible for one weekend and one to three week nights of dormitory duty per week, depending on the dormitory size.
- Advising: Faculty are expected to serve as mentors to student advisees throughout students’ time at Exeter. The adviser is the main liaison between an advisee’s family/guardian and the Academy.
- Extracurricular Activities: Faculty are generally expected to participate in the school’s extracurricular activities (e.g. coaching, advising student clubs, and/or committee work).
- Experience teaching for a minimum of 5 years.
- Girls Varsity Coaching experience is a plus
- Diversity or cultural competency education (conferences, seminars, in-service programs, coursework, independent study.
- Willingness to enforce all school policies and rules governing student behavior.
- Proof of authority to work in the United Stated, full time.
- Successful completion of a criminal background check, renewed every 5 years.
- Clean Driving record.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment health screen