Assistant Director Processing, Financial Aid
The Office of Financial Aid is part of the Enrollment Management unit, where we support recruitment and student success efforts of the campus through the administration of financial aid programs. This full-time position reports to the Associate Director of Processing & Systems and is responsible for managing the Processing area of the Office of Financial Aid. General duties include supervising the processing staff, financial aid processing, communications with students, awarding aid to students, and other duties as assigned. This position is part of the leadership team for the Office of Financial Aid. This position maintains a thorough and current solid understanding of all Title IV federal, State of Colorado, and institutional rules, regulations, and procedures to ensure the accurate release of information and program compliance.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The CU Boulder Office of Financial Aid is committed to helping students pay for college by building innovative programs to support access and graduation, empowering students to make healthy financial decisions, investing in the development of our staff, and engaging lawmakers and partners to improve aid policy. We coordinate over $425M in grants, scholarships, work-study, and loans for over 20,000 students each year. Our staff consists of 38 full-time professional employees and 50-60 student employees.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Responsible for the oversight of the day-to-day operations of duties related to the processing team, which include pre-and post-awarding activities such as downloading ISIR’s, processing verification documents, certifying loans, Return of Title IV, and awarding aid.
- Recruit, supervise, train, empower and evaluate a team with varied strengths who are responsible for processing documents vital to verify and award student aid.
- Ensure direct reports maintain compliance with state and federal regulations and University guidelines and that all processing staff is trained to answer client questions in accordance with these rules, regulations, and guidelines.
- Supervise and coordinate all team duties and ensure that all federal, state, and institutional requirements are handled in a timely manner.
- Ensure that nightly processing is up to date with appropriate jobs running and troubleshoots any issues.
- Collaborate with all functional areas of the office in the evaluation and troubleshooting of student files.
- Evaluate current processes and practices and identify gaps in services.
- Develop new, innovative ways that the processing team can provide exceptional customer service to our clients.
- Obtain and assess data on processing services and initiatives and provide recommendations for continuous improvements to the OFA management team.
- Ensure procedures and processes are tested and documented.
- Provide leadership as part of the OFA management team.
- Responsible for identification, analysis, and implementation of financial aid, enrollment management, and office policy.
- Interpret regulations and ensure compliance with current rules, regulations, laws, etc. associated with the management of the federal, state, and institutional aid programs.
- Develop, maintain and plan programs and activities that support the university goals, missions, and objectives of CU Boulder.
- Collaborate with other internal teams to maintain a high level of collaboration, customer service, and problem-solving.
- Collaborate with other offices, such as Bursar’s, Housing, Registrar’s, and Admissions on processing changes or updates that impact their business processes.
- Communicate to internal and external partners when there are delays or errors discovered in our business processes.
Quality Control and Reconciliation
- Work with Compliance and Fiscal Operations to assist with the financial reconciliation of university, federal, and state funds.
- Collaborate with Compliance and Fiscal Operations to develop and maintain quality control processes within the processing area.
- Ensure that all issues regarding federal and state aid programs, such as data errors and reconciliation are resolved in a timely manner.
- Responsible for updating annual policies and procedures.
- Ensure that all processes are properly documented to ensure that all duties are performed within the required timelines and with the appropriate frequency.
- Participate in training seminars, conferences, committee meetings, etc. for professional development in the areas of Title IV financial aid.
- Attend staff meetings, retreats, and other meetings as assigned.
- Collaborate with your supervisor to determine areas for professional growth and identify and request appropriate training opportunities.
- Assist in the development and implementation of Processing and Systems related training for all staff as needed.
What We Can Offer
The hiring pay range for this position $68,000 to $75,000.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Innovative. Be Strategic. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is required.
- Two years of professional financial aid processing experience.
- Supervisory experience.
- The final candidate must successfully pass a criminal and financial background check and cannot be in default on a student loan either upon hire or while employed in this position.
What You Will Need
- A strong commitment to providing an extraordinary student experience.
- Ability to interpret and apply federal, state, institutional rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to communicate key and critical information in a timely fashion.
- Ability to gain the confidence and trust of others through honesty, authenticity, and acceptance of responsibility.
- Ability to exemplify excellence through diversity by creating a welcoming and inclusive environment that maximizes the success and inclusion of all students, staff, and faculty.
- Ability to create new and better ways for the organization to be successful.
- Ability to build partnerships and work collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Solid understanding of a student information system or comparable systems.
- Strong digital literacy including software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other presentation software), email communication tools, and web-based applications.
- Knowledge of Federal Title IV financial aid programs and regulations.
What We Would Like You To Have
- A Master’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
- Thorough knowledge of State of Colorado financial aid regulations.
- Experience with federal financial aid data systems including NSLDS, FAA Access, and COD.
- Experience using the PeopleSoft student information system.
- Experience using an OnBase imaging system.
- Leadership credential or certification.
- NASFAA credentials.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically tells us how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications, and responsibilities of the position.
We may request references at a later time.
Please apply by June 13, 2021, for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, please apply through CU Boulder Jobs .
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: Recruiting@colorado.edu
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Business Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder