Evening Programming & Instruction Assistant – Library Assistant 3
Library Assistant 3
A member of the Library West User Services Unit, this position performs a variety of public service, programming, and technical roles in support of the Humanities and Social Sciences Library West branch, providing continuity of public and informational services offered to library users during the evening hours. The Evening Programming & Instruction Assistant works at the circulation desk on a daily basis and assists with the supervision of student assistants; serves as the lead staff member for providing research assistance and support for instruction and outreach programming during the evening shift; administers Library West’s Tutoring Center and Accessibility Studio; completes the processing of patron material requests; and monitors and reports building and equipment issues.
To support all students, staff and faculty, and foster excellence in a diverse and collaborative society, the Libraries are actively seeking candidates who bring culturally-rich lived experiences to work with individuals of diverse backgrounds, experiences, races, ethnicities, genders, sexual orientation, and perspectives.
Library West User Services
- Works and supervises circulation desk and library operations, maintaining daily presence at circulation desk during assigned shifts.
- Assists patrons with questions about circulation and library policies; loans and returns of library materials; verifies and updates patron records; creates or updates records for library material to allow for circulation; processes guest researcher accounts for unaffiliated researchers.
- Supports the Assistant User Services Manager with the hiring, training, and supervision of student assistants.
- Reviews queries regarding library fees posted against patron accounts and assists patrons in submitting online appeals for the reversal or reduction of library charges.
- Reviews and processes requests for courtesy-level borrowing privileges, including fee-based privileges with the Libraries.
- Enforces library use and computer use policies.
- Collects rush requests from Acquisitions/Cataloging; sorts and processes new materials and fulfills patron requests and holds.
- Provides physical check and catalog review of film materials before shelving, and with labeling and packaging as necessary. Works with Collections Services Manager to identify physical video media in need of replacement due to damage and/or loss.
Library West Tutoring Center and Accessibility Studio Administration
- Oversees administration of Library West’s Tutoring Center and Accessibility Studio, confirming and posting semester schedules, and monitoring facilities, equipment and access for user groups.
- Liaises with UF’s Office of Academic Support, Writing Studio, Disability Resource Center, and Collegiate Veterans Success Center, for promotion and support of Library West services and resources.
- Serves as primary contact for users during Library West’s second shift, supporting requests for orientation to UF Libraries’ services and programming, providing research consultations, and for facilitating resolution to patron issues.
Humanities and Social Sciences Research Assistance
- Serves as evening shift lead in provision of research assistance. Assists users with basic research resources and methods, use of print and electronic resources, and online catalogs; provides appropriate referral to area and subject specialists.
- Holds regular shifts for UF’s Ask-A-Librarian chat reference service and other non-traditional research services.
- Assists patrons in locating library materials and in use of library technologies, such as digital microform readers.
- Provides support for Library West instruction program, assisting with information literacy and outreach sessions scheduled during evening hours.
- Assists with operation and maintenance of public workstations, scanners and printers. Documents and responds to technology problems by submitting online service requests via online ticketing system to UFIT-Academic Technology or to Libraries Technical Services, as appropriate.
- Makes requests for facilities and/or physical plant assistance as needed; documents and responds to building problems by submitting online service requests or by contacting campus emergency services for issues requiring immediate attention (i.e., flooding, power outages, door locks).
- Works with patrons and contracted security to address building issues.
- Enforces library and computer use policies, including food/drink policy.
- Updates and informs unit heads of any building service issues or events that may have occurred during the evening hours and helps monitor facility operations and library equipment within Library West.
Participates in other branch and library activities
- Contributes to documentation of unit and departmental policies and procedures.
- Cross-trains to serve as backup for other unit staff responsibilities and tasks.
- Serves on UF Libraries Accessibility Advisory Committee, and other committees as appropriate.
- Participates in staff development opportunities.
- Other duties as assigned.
$15.77; Actual salary will reflect selected professional’s experience and credentials
Minimum Requirements: High School diploma or equivalent and four years of library or related clerical/customer service experience; or a bachelor’s degree and one year of library or related clerical/customer service experience Preferred Qualifications:
- Strong multitasking skills and ability to plan and organize work effectively and to assign priorities to tasks.
- Detail orientation, demonstrated capacity for carrying out tasks in an accurate manner, and ability to check own work for accuracy.
- Solid customer service experience in a high traffic, public context.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and ability to transfer and communicate information in a variety of accessible methods.
- Sound judgment; experience interpreting established policies and ability to refer problems to higher supervision when appropriate.
- Skilled at fostering teamwork among others, and ability to interact and collaborate effectively with colleagues and patrons to accomplish goals.
- Flexibility, ability to adapt and work in a rapidly changing academic environment, and commitment to continual professional development.
- Excellent computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook, and familiarity with project management applications such as Basecamp, Trello, or Microsoft Teams.
- Working knowledge of library operations, services, and basic reference resources; familiarity searching databases.
- Undergraduate degree in field related to the humanities or social sciences.
- Commitment to contributing to a respectful and caring community for all, including individuals of diverse backgrounds, experiences, races, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and perspectives.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
Apply by June 16, 2021, applications will be reviewed as received. Submit all application materials through the Jobs at UF online application system. If you have any questions or concerns about this process, please contact Tina Marie Litchfield, George A. Smathers Libraries Human Resources Office, at firstname.lastname@example.org .
This position is eligible for veteran’s preference. If you are claiming veteran’s preference, please upload a copy of your DD 214 Member Copy 4 with your application for consideration. See our Veteran's Preference Page for more specific information.
PLEASE NOTE: The regular Fall and Spring semester workdays for this position are Sunday through Thursday, except during intersessions, holidays, and when there are other changes in the George A. Smathers Libraries’ operating hours. Hours are 4:15pm-1:15am.
For the Summer 2021 term (present date-August 13, 2021), during reduced branch operating hours, the schedule for this position will be Monday through Thursday, from 1:00pm-10:15pm; and on Sunday, from 11:45am-6:15pm.
For Fall 2021 Intersession (August 16-August 20,) during reduced branch operating hours, the schedule for this position will be Monday through Friday, from 9:00am-6:00pm.
Health Assessment Required: No
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Flamingo Lodge
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Flamingo Lodge
- Library & Information Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Flamingo Lodge
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Flamingo Lodge
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Flamingo Lodge