Business Career Advisor - Career & Leadership Development - 17192
The Department of Career & Leadership Development (Career Services) at the University of Wisconsin - Whitewater seeks a Business Career Advisor (OUTREACH SPECIALIST).
This will be a fixed term appointment and reappointment for subsequent terms is dependent upon needs of the position, university funding and external forces.
The Business Career Advisor has three primary responsibilities:
- To serve as a career advisor to students enrolled in the College of Business and Economics (CoBE) Master and Bachelor degree programs
- To develop and maintain positive, working relationships with employers in order to enhance their recruitment of UW-Whitewater graduates
- To serve as an instructor for a required Career Information course
Supervision Received: General supervision is received from the Senior Business Career Advisor.
- Master’s degree by employment start date. (MBA or MSE preferred, others acceptable)
- Knowledge of corporate culture, and how to prepare new employees to succeed in the corporate environment
- A service orientation; willingness to help individuals and groups
- Evidence of working with individuals in an advisory capacity
- Evidence of effective presentation/public speaking skills
- 2-4 years of experience in human resources, recruiting, or talent acquisition in a corporate setting or career advising in an academic setting
- Experience teaching academic courses
- Strong Interest Inventory Certification
- Willingness and ability to be an active participant in following applicable safety rules and regulations including necessary training and drills
- Ability to interact respectfully with people from diverse socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds
- Provide direct assistance to students enrolled in all on-campus and online Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) majors. Meet individually with undergraduate students as needed to assist with their internship and job searches.
- Provide direct service to students enrolled in the on-campus and online CoBE Master’s programs. Meet individually with CoBE graduate students as needed to help with their job search.
- Serve as part of the Career Services team to assist in university-wide employer relations efforts including career fair planning and the Career Services sponsorship program.
- Assist with our employer relations efforts for the College of Business & Economics (CoBE). Work with the Career Services Director, the Senior Business Career Advisor, CoBE administration and faculty, Career Services staff and other groups deemed necessary to develop a plan of action to strengthen the relationship between employers and UW-Whitewater, for the purpose of increasing recruitment of our graduates.
- Become familiar with various office software used to assist students including Handshake and InterviewStream. Be able to explain the use of this software with students, alumni, and faculty.
- Serve as an instructor for BEINDP 288 – Career Information. This class is required of all undergraduate majors in the College of Business and Economics.
- Assist with annual programs including the CoBE Professional Development Program and “Career Week” events.
- Create and maintain extensive professional networks in the corporate world. Maintain memberships in various professional associations and networking groups in order to establish relationships with those responsible for talent acquisition. These associations may include such groups as the Wisconsin Association of Colleges and Employers, NACE, NASPA, SHRM as well as other relevant organizations.
- The department gives about 250 outreach presentations annually. This position will be required to give outreach presentations to classes and student organizations as required.
- Attend Career Services staff meetings, and various other University, College, and Divisional committees as required.
- Complete other duties as assigned by the Dean of the College of Business & Economics, the Director of Career Services, and the Senior Business Career Advisor.
Founded in 1868, UW–Whitewater is one of eleven comprehensive universities in a public higher education system that also includes two doctoral institutions and a statewide Extension. In the fall of 2018, as a result of the University of Wisconsin System’s restructuring of the state’s 13 two-year campuses formerly known as UW Colleges, UW–Rock County began operating as a branch campus of UW–Whitewater under the new name of University of Wisconsin–Whitewater at Rock County. Together, these campuses form a preeminent academic institution driven by the pursuit of knowledge, powered by a spirit of innovation, and focused on transforming lives. The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Main Campus and Rock County Campus are located conveniently near Milwaukee, Madison, and Chicago, and thus offers the advantage of beautiful small-town environments with easy access to the cultural and commercial opportunities of major metropolitan areas.
The Warhawk family — led by caring faculty and staff — is devoted to student success within a broad range of academic programs. UW-Whitewater has a special mission within the UW System to serve students with disabilities and, as such, embraces the principles of universal design and is one of the most accessible campuses in the state. The campuses have more than 200 student organizations and UW-Whitewater is a Division III NCAA university. UW-Whitewater is committed to seeking and sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse campus environment, building a diverse faculty and staff with expertise and interest in serving students with diverse needs, backgrounds, ethnicities, abilities and other distinct characteristics in respectful, sensitive and understanding ways. The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, and actively seeks and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and veterans.
The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater is part of the 13-campus University of Wisconsin System ( https://www.wisconsin.edu ).
Wisconsin Statute 19.36(7)(b) provides that applicants may indicate in writing that their identity should be kept confidential. In response to a public records request, the University will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wisconsin Statute 19.36(7)(a).
Per Regent Policy Document 20-19, University of Wisconsin System Criminal Background Check Policy and UW System Administrative Policy 1275 Recruitment Policies, UW-Whitewater requires criminal background checks as a contingency to employment. A criminal background check will be conducted prior to an offer of employment. All final candidates must be asked, prior to hire, whether they have been found to have engaged in, are currently under investigation for, or left employment during an active investigation in which they were accused of sexual violence or sexual harassment. When obtaining employment reference checks, these same sexual violence or sexual harassment questions must also be asked.
The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater requires that all employees be active participants in following applicable safety rules and regulations including necessary training and drills.
For UW-Whitewater Campus safety information and crime statistics/annual Security Report, see http://www.uww.edu/asfr . If you would like a paper copy of the report please contact the UW-Whitewater Police at 262-472-4660.
To learn more about UW-Whitewater's competitive benefits packages go to our: ALEX webpage, which is our interactive benefits decision support tool.
UW-Whitewater embraces AAC&U’s LEAP principles ( http://www.uww.edu/leap ) and emphasizes student, staff and faculty participation in High-Impact Practices ( https://www.aacu.org/resources/high-impact-practices ). The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs ( http://www.uww.edu/orsp ) provides support for faculty scholarly and creative activities as well as other opportunities to apply for reassigned time and/or other resources to support research activities. UW-Whitewater faculty and staff also have access to technology transfer and research resources provided by WiSys ( https://www.wisys.org ).
CONDITIONS OF APPOINTMENT:
University of Wisconsin-Whitewater does not offer H-1B or other work authorization visa sponsorship for this position. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States at the time of hire and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact Human Resources.
The University of Wisconsin System is engaged in a Title and Total Compensation (TTC) project to redesign job titles and compensation structures. As a result of the TTC project, official job titles on current job postings is targeted to be implemented mid-2021. Job duties and responsibilities will remain the same. For more information please visit: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/title-and-total-compensation-study/
The University of Wisconsin - Whitewater has the authority to implement temporary workforce reduction and cost saving measures to address financial challenges resulting from the COVID-19 Crisis, consistent with Wisconsin law and Board of Regents, UW System, and UW-Whitewater policy and procedure.
TO ENSURE CONSIDERATION:
Applications received by June 16, 2021 are ensured full consideration. Applications received after that date may be given consideration at the discretion of the search committee. The most qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the next step of the selection process.
If you have questions regarding this recruitment or if you are unable to complete the application online due to a disability or system problem, please contact us at (262) 472-1072 or email@example.com .
For questions regarding this position, please contact:
Senior Business Career Advisor
Only complete application packages will be considered. This includes online submission of the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Name and contact information for three professional references
Application Link : click here and type in the Job ID: Application
Before you get started with the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) by selecting the link below.
Apply Online FAQs
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Whitewater
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Whitewater
- Business Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Whitewater
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Whitewater
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Whitewater