Learning Support Specialist I
University Code 24211 University Title Information Technology Specialist 1 University Job Family Information Technology ORP Eligible No For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Single Title Scope of Search Local Working Title Learning Support Specialist I Position Number 592780 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Exempt Employee Group University Employee Department Academic Technologies Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
VCU is seeking an individual to provide instructional technology support for applications managed by the Learning Systems team. The Learning Support Specialist will focus on guiding end users directly in their use of the Learning Management Systems ( LMS ) and Content Management Systems ( CMS ) by leading or assisting faculty workshops, providing individual faculty consultations related to the various technologies, creating and maintaining user support documentation, and resolving issues with centrally supported tools that supported by Learning Systems.
Minimum Hiring Standards
- Experience with Learning Management Systems and related technologies, used in an academic environment.
- Experience leading or assisting with academic workshops and effectively planning and delivering training to a diverse group of learners.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills and ability to communicate effectively in written procedures and development of user guidelines.
- Demonstrated experience with leading initiatives to enhance user support for online teaching and learning.
- Experience with promotional planning and communication for new features/tools, workshops, or events.
- Working knowledge of software programs such as MS Office and Google applications, email and web browsers.
- Ability to maintain collaborative relationships with other departments and key personnel, as well as with peers in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize work assignments independently and flexibly.
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff and student environment or commitment to do so as a staff member at VCU .
-A desire to foster equity and inclusion in one’s team and throughout the university.
-A commitment to VCU’s core competencies of accountability/integrity; achievement; collaboration; diversity; innovation; and service excellence.
Preferred Hiring Standards
- Working knowledge of providing service or support in an academic environment.
- Experience using the Canvas Learning Management Systems in a production environment.
- Demonstrated experience with providing end-user support, training and documentation for a major system upgrade or replacement.
- Ability to interact with academic professionals, assess needs, and collaborate with teammates and leaders to recommend solutions.
- Strong critical thinking skills that apply to the analysis of procedures and development of optimal solutions.
Required Licenses/ Certifications Anticipated Hiring Range $40,000-$45,000 Application Process/Additional Information Campus Monroe Park Campus Hours/Week 40 Normal Work Days/Hours Monday-Friday/8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Job Open Date 06/01/2021 Posting will close on or before 06/15/2021 Open Until Filled No Job Category Information Technology Is this a restricted position? No Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? No Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/106501 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How much teaching or training experience do you have?
(Open Ended Question)
- * How much experience do you have using the Canvas LMS system?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have experience writing technical documentation?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application