Academic Advisor, Advising Center
Posting Number NC00156P Quick Link for Position https://jobs.uafs.edu/postings/1870 Working Title Academic Advisor, Advising Center Position Number 21 Department Advisement About the University
For more than 6,000 students each semester, the University of Arkansas – Fort Smith offers a dynamic and diverse learning community with a student-centered approach focused on the success of the individual. Small class sizes combine with innovative, hands-on learning and research experiences alongside expert faculty to ensure students receive a future-focused education at the most affordable tuition rate in the state. The university has undergone significant changes since its founding in 1928 and now offers 51 bachelor’s and associate degrees, two master’s degrees, and 36 certificate programs, all aimed at preparing students for success in the global workforce. UAFS is one of 21 academic institutions and affiliates governed by the University of Arkansas System.
The second-largest city in the state, Fort Smith is located on the Arkansas-Oklahoma border in the heart of the Arkansas River Valley. Established in 1817 as a frontier military post, Fort Smith is now a vibrant and growing city featuring a variety of cultural activities and entertainment options, including a thriving downtown arts and entertainment district. Outdoors enthusiasts will appreciate the Natural State’s plentiful trails, mountains, forests, parks, and waterways, both within city limits and throughout the surrounding area. The city is also within easy driving distance of Tulsa, Kansas City, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Little Rock, and Memphis.
The UAFS campus is comprised of 77 buildings and facilities located on 170 beautifully manicured acres and crowned with the Donald W. Reynolds Campus Plaza, Tower, and Campus Green. Students who choose to live on campus may do so in one of two residence hall complexes, complete with a full-service dining center, or the on-campus apartment complex for married students and upperclassmen. Campus involvement is encouraged by participation in more than 100 registered student organizations, which includes academic societies, a dynamic Greek life system, intramural sports, and cultural/special interest groups. The UAFS Lions compete in NCAA Division II Lonestar Conference in men’s baseball, women’s volleyball, and men’s and women’s basketball, golf, cross country, and tennis.
About the College / Department
The ROAR First-Year Advising Center serves UAFS freshman from the point of initial registration through their first year of course work. The ROAR is provides a holistic foundation while assisting students in navigating campus resources, orienting them to college life and preparing them to be successful at UAFS .
The Academic Advisor is responsible for assisting with academic and career advising; registration; graduation application process; special events; and recruitment and retention functions. The position reports to the Director of the Advising Center.
Summary of Job Duties
• Assist students with major and course selection, while providing career development and long term planning assistance.
• Participate in New Student Orientation and all Enrollment Management functions, activities and programs.
• Responsible for reports, student communications and special projects as assigned.
• Maintain student records.
• Promote retention through innovative programming.
• Review academic standing of students for possible intervention, support and referrals.
• Provide customer service and promote the public image of the University to all students and the community in a friendly accurate manner.
• Assess the general needs of students and visitors.
• Assist students with use of and interpretation of career research software.
• Serve as a student advocate.
• Promote and maintain a working knowledge of current career exploration and employment trends by participating in professional workshops and organizations.
• Assist with special events and retention functions to ensure student success.
• Responsible for maintaining a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner to foster teamwork and by providing leadership to subordinates.
• Requires consistent on-time attendance.
• Other duties as assigned.
Minimum qualifications include a bachelor’s degree.
License(s)/Certifications Preferred Qualifications
Experience in academic advising, career planning, admissions, financial aid, or new student programs preferred. Banner experience a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Demonstrate strong attention to detail.
• Ability to disseminate educational and career information to groups and individuals.
• Must be able to work in a quality-focused service environment with excellent organizational skills, customer service and in a professional manner.
Special Job Dimensions
Work performed primarily in an office setting. Occasional extended walking required (on-campus). Occasional travel and extended hours required during peak periods. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly exhibits digital dexterity when entering data into computer. Required abilities include walking, bending, standing, and sitting for extended periods. Visual demands include close, relatively detailed vision when focusing on a computer screen. Employee regularly talks and hears. Employee occasionally lifts items up to 10 pounds.
The office is open to the public from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, 8:00 am to 6:00 pm on Tuesday and 9:00 am to 5:00 pm on Friday.
Salary Low to Mid 30's, salary commensurate with education and experience. Benefits
Competitive benefits package.
Background Check / Pre-Employment Screening
This position may be subject to a pre-employment criminal background check, sex offender registry check, financial history background check, and/or drug screening. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication and/or adverse financial history alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background checks and drug screening information will be used in a confidential, non- discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Does this position require a background check? Criminal Background Check, Financial History Background Check, and Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) Check
Open Date 06/01/2021 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants Anticipated start date 07/01/2021 EEO Statement
The University of Arkansas – Fort Smith is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, dedicated to attracting and supporting diverse student, faculty, and staff populations. The University welcomes applications without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
UA Fort Smith provides equal employment, admission, and educational opportunities without regard to race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, disability, veterans’ status, sexual orientation, or gender identify. The University abides by all applicable employment laws.
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, the University is committed to provide equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees with regard to recruitment, hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, training, fringe benefits and all other aspects of employment.
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial College Transcripts
- Proof of Veteran Status
- Additional Document
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is your perception of an Academic Advisor's role?
(Open Ended Question)
- * What does good customer service look like to you?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Describe your experience with an Academic Advisor.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Did you complete the Employment History section of the
- * Do you understand that failure to complete the Employment
History section of the application will result in automatic
- * Did you upload your unofficial transcript(s)?
- * Do you understand that failure to upload your unofficial
transcript(s) may result in an incomplete application packet?
- * Have you ever been fired or asked to resign from a job?
- If yes, please describe.
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you learn of this employment opportunity?
(Open Ended Question)