Posting Number: SRGV5090
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location: Harlingen, Texas
Department: School of Medicine / Neuroscience
Scope of Job:
Responsible for analyzing large, complex, and unstructured biological data sets using computer programming or advanced statistical methods.
Description of Duties:
• Develops, modifies, and applies software, algorithms, or pipelines to genomic or other biological data sets with the goal of understanding biological processes, diseases, or disorders.
• In conjunction with research scientists, designs and analyzes experiments or data sets.
• Uses bioinformatics tools and related laboratory and public databases to support research objectives.
• Ensures existing systems meet the continuing needs of the lab and/or recommends and tests new systems as necessary.
• Develops mathematical models for integrating disparate data sources for the purposes of more thorough analysis.
• Prepares analysis and interpretation of research results and contributes to publications or presentations.
• Trains staff in the use of pertinent research systems, as needed.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
General supervision from assigned supervisor.
Direct supervision of assigned staff.
Master’s degree in bioinformatics, computer science, biology or related discipline from an accredited university.
Five (5) years of prior work experience with major bioinformatic pipelines and relevant statistical methods.
Use of standard office equipment.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Office Environment; some travel and weekend work is required. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body.
Knowledge of high performance computing in relation to bioinformatic analysis, statistical analytical skills relevant for bioinformatic analysis. Oral and written communication skills. Problem/situation analysis. Ability to identify and seek needed information/research skills. Analytical thinking skills, statistical knowledge, technical expertise and mathematical skills.
Physical Capabilities: N/A
Employment Category: Full-Time
Minimum Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Posted Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date: 06/07/2021
Grant Funded Position: Yes
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date: 08/31/2024
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the civil rights act of 1964, the title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non discrimination in it’s education programs and activities, including employment.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
*Social Security Number
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission.
If you have any questions, please visit our Careers site at https://careers.utrgv.edu for detailed contact information.
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/28532